Railroad Line Forums - backwoods goose
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: mrhollman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 backwoods goose
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: S. Pettit inspired engine house scratch build Topic Next Topic: Ruphe and Tumbelle Scenery
Page: of 3

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  05:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this thread will follow my build of a backwoods/logging goose

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  05:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
basicly, i made an other goose a while ago, while this was a nice model, its really a bit on the large side and lacked anywhere where i could add alot of detail.

so after a break from the darkside, the idea of building another, smaller goose came up, this is the story so far.

i got this chassis off ebay, it cost me 10, runs well, pick up on 3 axels, and has one axel with rubber triers to aid tracion, its has an 8 pin socket, oh and made by bachmann, even though it was used for was is really a toy, i think bachmann knew people would want to bash it

i was looking at the chivers line of boxcars, but due to poor health, now in limted supply (i understand the owners son will be taking over the on30 line under the name slim rails?) after a little look around and a few emails desided the BVM boxcar would suit it, and ordered, few weeks later it landed, and with in an hour of opening the box, i had the floor sitting on the chassis (followed by an oppise later)

i wanted a door and some windows to add something to it, make it look as if inside there would be some kind of workshop, windows and doors where ordered from grandt line, this took a while to get here, but once again, with in a couple days i have all windows and doors fitted, the boxcar being made of resin, cut like butter, so was nice and easy to fit everything, i also fitted some door stops from grandtline too, just to add something

back to the chassis for one mo, theres a front and back to it, theres different "mounts" at the front and the back, so the floor can to be made to fit these, the idea being the truck that was driven would ne nearer the front, when i came to glue on the ends, i didnt check, it was a 50/50 chance and i lost :P so the drive is at the back of boxcar, i dont think it will mak any difference, it was more than happy pushing 2 HO boxcars around, once the sides where added, i had to add some bracing to keep everything stright.

i also got the truck im going to use on this build, the GAZ truck from unimodel. nice kit, should go together fine, i know a few people have had a hard time with it, but it seams this is mostly with the chassis, theres alot of parts for it, but since im only useing the chassis and cab, makes for an easy build, i have already started painting the motor to save me doing it after sticking it to the chassis

this gives you an idea of how it'll work out

the plan is, flat bed behind the truck, with a tank of some kind, shelves full of detail, drums etc, the normal junk, i may add a light to the top of the boxcar, but i am unsure, the boxcar i want to paint and wether as if its kind old, but not so much so that it wouldnt have been chosen in real life to make a goose i may add lettering too (but as if its even where the windows where cut, so more letter of what was, im ganna paint the windows and doors on their own and weather lighter, just so thay look newer then the boxcar, because they would be. i may add a coupler to the rear of the goose, not sure yet, im going to drill holes in the roof for when i hopfuly add sound, i may drill some in the floor too.

comments/ideas welcome. thanks to les and dallas too.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  07:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting, Andy. The beginning is very nice, and I'm looking forward to see more.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  07:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start Andy!
I like the idea.....
If it was me (and it's not) I wouldn't put
holes in the roof....There will be plenty
of "window" holes to let the sound out....
JMO, but I think the sound would be better enclosed
and vented out the bottom only.....Just a thought.
Good going mate!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting to look good. I'm always interested in this type of building, looking forward to your progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gezzer, my thought with vent holes was to aid in ventlation, i understand the Tsunami 750 Railcar/goose sound chip i fancy useing can get warm, etc, i'll need to talk to someone who knows more about sound chips than myself 1st (a.k.a HELP someone hehe)

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
this is cool, i get to learn how to scratch build a car and install sound as well
i am going to have to follow this build to the end

are these plans general size or do you have a build sheet

dave

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy

This looks like a one-of-a-kind backwoods build by the boys from the Basche & Wackett! A very neat idea that should produce all kinds of opportune places to store bits and pieces. Keep up the photos! What a unique vehicle.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy --

Looking real good there! Took me a few minutes to recognize the "boxcar" portion -- your mods are neatly done and make a radical change in appearance. Think it'll work out quite nicely with the Gaz up front ... so I'm staying tuned to this channel for more.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Andy,
It was me that vented the Bachmann Railbus, the 750s warm up real good and need ventelation, dont change the design but plan to change that design with venting. Here is what will happen, goose will happily be going around the track honking and yonking...then stop...lights will blink, there may be some blatting, and then stop. once cool (not neat) the beast will run again. Vent, then test... if not get back with me on building a heat sink.

Les

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is there not a chip that will run cooler? :P being a total numpty with most DCC so im not really sure the best way to deal with the heat.

did a little work on GAZ will post pics in a bit

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  07:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Andy,
Not a sound chip that has these amounts capabilties..you speed and sound, but you also have reverb, and a AMP thats why its so good. You might opt for full size goose Tsunami if they make them. you can build a head sink for it.

Les

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is where i am with the GAZ

the motor is stuck to the frame, and the fenders are too, the grill, hood and firewall etc are all one unit, but not stuck to the fender/floor i need to find a arch bar truck that will go under this unit, and work out other stuff like the cow catcher etc etc once ive figured out a truck and fitted it, i can then work on getting the joint between the chassis, and see how it rolls.

i was thinking about these trucks http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/product_info.php?cPath=25_30_75&products_id=8281 but im not sure how well they'll roll, i have a HO boxcar with some sprung kadee trucks, and it dose wobble, that being said the boxcar is around 20-30 years old, and has some chucky wheels in, any ideas? or if you know of some good trucks let me know

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  07:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry for double post didnt see les' reply.

what would go into a heat sink etc?

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  10:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Andy,

You can google heat sink.. plenty of explanations out there. Your railtruck is looking good. Keep up the good pace.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  11:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
Great looking bash.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: S. Pettit inspired engine house scratch build Topic Next Topic: Ruphe and Tumbelle Scenery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000