Railroad Line Forums - MDC 2 truck shay rebuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 MDC 2 truck shay rebuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann On30 4-4-0 Bash Topic Next Topic: Camelback Lovers?
Page: of 3

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest update,

But, first, Neil, yes, it was one of the things that make you go duh after it is pointed out.

Here are some pics of some weathering (rusting) deciding if more or different stuff need to be applied.

Here, you can see the rerailers I made sitting on the frame instead of hanging from the screw heads I thought I would have to hide, but after painting they don't show much.

The left side tool box has some chain and a sledge/axe handle sticking out.

Thoughts, mistakes pointed out, or other comments welcomed, Thanks for looking.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks very nice and well painted but I think the hanger for the bell should be painted black, so only the bell itself is polished brass.

I can't tell from your photos but does the smokebox have a dead flat finish? Usually they are coated with grease and graphite, not paint, due to the high temperatures on the surface of the smokebox so they picked up a lot of muck and were generally a flat finish rather than a satin/semi-gloss finish as you have on the rest of the boiler.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  08:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn Phil. That is one nice looking MDC. Love all the small tooling details. Thank you for the inspiration. I have 3 kits to assemble and 2 pre-finished to detail.
Mike M

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  11:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, looking forward to see your rendition of these.

Neil, Thanks, I have been wondering about the bell hanger and you are right it should be black. The boiler is painted with Floquil"s grimy black and I used Their weathered black for the smokebox might not be enough contrast to show up.

Phil Z

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a pretty locomotive, Phil. She has the right personnality, used not abused, detailed not overloaded. I like it very much.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, Thanks, praise from you means alot

Phil Z

RDG_Rich
Section Hand

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  09:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil,

I've got one of these buggers in the basement that I started on years ago, and I couldn't get the dang thing to quiet down, even after NWSL gears, and sanding the plastic gears. I'd eventually love to be able to say that I conquered the Roundhouse Shay...your work is inspiring!

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final update on this shay.
Rich, Thanks for the kind words.
Wichita Kansas is having their annual train show this weekend (2-12-11 and 2-13-11) and I am planning on putting this in their model contest so here are the final pics.

The water bag I made from a piece of styrene .040"x~1/8"x3/16" with a fine strand of wire for the rope handle.

I had a hard time trying to get the dry transfer to stay in place for the front number board so ended up painting it instead.

Added a bottom step to the side steps so some one could actually reach them. Also as suggested I painted the bell bracket.

I will take pictures tomorrow at the show and post them in the crew lounge.
So, this is it for this one.
Next engine in line is my 3-truck Bachman shay sound install.

Phil Z

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  04:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice one Phil!!
Here is my converted B-mann Shay:

Itīs way nicer to run now

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a REALLY nice job on a MDC Shay. My only criticism is the brass handrails next to the cab-- I would've toned them down along with the bell hanger, polished brass just seems a bit too fussy for a workhorse.

I've got one in HOn3 that I never finished since I switched back to standard gauge. If I ever get back to it, I hope it turns out that well!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job. I would add some brighter orange dusty rust highlights and some dust around to lower parts of the loco if you have a chance.

Michael, i think your 'bash of the Bachmann shay is lovely. I have thought about doing that (making it two truck) as well and think your one looks great

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  1:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, Thanks for your kind words and for the picyure of your 2-truck B'man shay. I will tell my brother (Mainframer) to get in touch as he has been thinking about doing the same.

Oliver, Thanks and yea they do stand out a bit don't they.

Neil, again, thanks and I will when I get the stuff.

This did fetch me 1st place in the steam catagory at the show, but then as there was only the two of us it would have been either first place or last.

Phil Z

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  6:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done on coming first, even if there was a very good bet that you'd be in the top two

SPfan
New Hire

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  03:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you had any trouble with it leaning??

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job on the rebuild, Phil. Congrats on the 1st Place award, too.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Bachmann On30 4-4-0 Bash Topic Next Topic: Camelback Lovers?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000