Railroad Line Forums - Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: City Classics Grant Street by Dave Hunt Topic Next Topic: Weltyk Marine Diorama
Page: of 99

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will continue on reply to allow for editing ...
Cheers,
Dallas

Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings all --

I think "The Chambers Challenge" is a great way to honor MikeC's tremendous contribution to the forum and to carry his influence forward to more modelers ...

So, I'll join in by constructing "Chambers Gas & Oil" in 1:35 scale ... a variation of Mike's "Faulk's Oil Co", which can be seen on his web page here:
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMShome/faulksoilco1.html

And on the forum here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7880&whichpage=1

And here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8355&whichpage=4

In that last thread, Mike noted: Faulks' is actually part of Sierra West's Railroad Camp kit. However, assembled according to the manual, it lacked doors or any real identity beyond the generic title "truck repair shed." So I built two sets of simple freight-type doors (for the front and back of the building) and made a sign to give the structure some actual identity. Not a big deal as scratchbuilding goes, but those small items made a big difference, I feel, in the final appearance of the structure.

Indeed, Mike's changes were extremely effective at giving the structure personality, and in that spirt, I plan to make a few minor changes as suggested in the sketch above to personalize it for my (future) 1/35 layout and, hopefully, allow it to take on the personality of "Chambers Gas & Oil"

The chief mechanic at Chambers Gas & Oil will be this fellow ... Mr. Curt Mudgeon.

(He'll probably get a wrench or hammer or some other tool to replace the shovel. And, though not quite a "match" for Mike's avatar, he does look suitably cranky.)

He came into this world in a bag of resin castings from www.Mk35.com -- and, like all good mechanics, some assembly is required! (MK35 also makes some 1/48 scale figures that look quite promising. I haven't tried any of those, but I've got a handful of the 1/35 figures which are all quite nice. Hopefully, some of my fellow On30ers will check those out and report their findings in the On30 Line!)

Mike was a strong proponent of "Mini Scenes & Details", so we'll try to include lots of those! And, happily, there's plenty of good material available in 1/35 scale ... so, I'm going to take the rest of the night off, glue Mr. Mudgeon together and see if he'll help me prep some detail parts and/or work out the final plans for the Chambers Gas & Oil structure!

There's an old Native American saying along the lines of "A man lives as long as the last person who remembers him." In that spirit, I'll encourage everyone to visit or re-visit

Mike's Web Site ... learn what you can, take some inspiration, and pass it on to others ... and I'll do the same.

This build will probably go on well past the June 30th date ... along the way, all comments, questions, suggestions and so forth are completely WELCOME. And, if you have ideas or suggestions that suit the specific "personality" of this build, those are especially welcome!

Cheers,
Dallas

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  8:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice project, and beautiful drawing, Dallas. I'm sure this 1/35 experience will give you plenty of opportunities to enter into some great detailing.

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  8:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really wonderful Dallas, thanks for the quote too.

Jan

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  9:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,
Nice drawing, I am looking forward to following along with your build. I will be using many 1/48 military parts so I will be interested in what you do with your 1/35 parts.
Larry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A great project Dallas, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do in this scale and with a great subject to work with.

Karl.A

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  12:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Getting Curt Mudgeon ready for his job as head mechanic! Arms and head are currently placed with blue-tack to check assembly ...

Figured the big honkin' tank wrench from the Italeri tool kit would be better than the shovel ... but the handle was as big around as his hand ...

The workbench seemed to be fighting back for a few minutes there ...

Time to remove the blue tack, glue him together and shoot a coat of primer. Looks like the pants are some sort of button-fly or old-time britches ... think I might change that a bit with some modeling putty after the primer coat. (The putty sticks to primer better than bare resin.)

Meanwhile, if you'll excuse him, he's a busy man ...

Cheers,
Dallas

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  02:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving it all already Dallas.

Think you going to do a great job of this. Looking forward to all your posts.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dallas, I like what you have planned for Mr. Madgeon. I have used that same Italeri kit for detail parts in O scale as well.

Mark

W,L,&E

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  10:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THis should be neat! I like those detail parts. Mike's Faulks was one of my favorites of his.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful build and the time you are taking to explain what you are doing, along with the pictures, are "in the best tradition of the forum". This is a great way to honor Mike, and I for one, am learning a lot. Thank you.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 04/16/2010 12:53:50 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  4:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks (all!) for the initial feedback. I've never done a "challenge" build before ... but the specific idea for this one and the loose deadline were irresistible!

Last night I assembled the Italeri workbench and a the stand for a Crow River O scale oil tank (which fits nicely for this project) and finished the first round of prep for Mr. Mudgeon. All of those items received primer on one side last night -- other side tonight -- then photos late tonight or tomorrow!

Also did some preliminary checking on the intended structure design vs. the space available on the existing un-scenicked layout ... it's going to be tight! So, I went ahead and ordered the Verlinden workshop & equipment set shown above so I can make sure the intended details will fit before finalizing the structure design & dimensions. (I was hoping to use the Italeri workbench to do some of that "sizing" but it scales out to a rather generous 3'6" x 8'0" workbench in 1/35 scale -- I suspect the toolbench in the set shown above is more like 30x60" to 36x72" ... but better to make sure before the walls are framed!

Also ordered some Dr. P.H. Martin's and Daler-Rowney inks so I can try some of Mike's ink stain formulas ... those arrived today. (Ordered from dickblick.com with great service as on previous occasions.)

So lots of fun ahead and at least a few personal "challenges" for myself ... updates as things happen.

Cheers,
Dallas

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  5:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS -- Before I forget ... after I glued the new handle into the big wrench and sprayed primer on it, I had another idea: use a die to thread both ends of the styrene rod ... drill out the open end ... glue it to the wrench head with just a couple threads exposed at that end ... then it would look like a pipe handle on a heavy wrench head ... pretty much what I used to replace the ball joints on my '67 Charger back in the day! Not going to back-track on this particular item, but passing along the idea in case someone can use it before happens.

Cheers,
Dallas

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  5:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, workbench and all the tanks and compressors look good.
As does Curt and his wrench.

As you think, so will you be.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, this Verlinden set looks very attractive. You should indeed have a lot of pleasure making this interior.

MikeFisher
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  6:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a really nice project. Are there civilian car kits in this scale? Mike

Page: of 99 Previous Topic: City Classics Grant Street by Dave Hunt Topic Next Topic: Weltyk Marine Diorama  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000