Railroad Line Forums - The Chambers Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Chambers Challenge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: cleaning metal castings. Topic Next Topic: my newly discovered stone wall painting technique
Page: of 13

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unlike previous Forum Challenges this one will have no restrictions on scale, size, materials used or subject matter.

This 'Challenge' is simply to honor Mike Chambers and his many contributions to all of us and many others.

As many of you know MikeC was the primary reason that the RRL Forums were re-opened by Joe. Mike then took a leading role in ensuring that the forum remained a civil, safe and enjoyable place for all modelers to share their love of the hobby.

For almost a decade MikeC was a prominent and prolific member of RRL. He was always early, if not first, on the 'Welcome Committee' and was always there to offer help or advice and share any information or wisdom that he could with anyone who needed it. An inspirational model builder to many and a gentleman to all.

Mike touched or influenced the vast majority of us in one way or another, either through his love of modeling or on a more personal level. He will be greatly missed by an extraordinary number of people around the world for many reasons.

So,

In Ken's (Marken) words ....

" Just build something to honor the memory of MikeC. Big, small, in-between. Kit, scratch build...doesn't matter. Just build it. "

I'll leave the rest up to the individual builder. I fully expect that the thread will include tributes to Mike, credit given for techniques learned from Mike and even 'structures' named after him. Though these will all be welcome additions they are not requirements.

There is no deadline for completion of this Challenge.

As an additional note I would request that the logo not be used unless permission is given.

Karl.A

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I'm not sure I can finish within the time limits as I may have a lot of work OT come up in the next two months.

I'll post my project later this evening.

Michael

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl for creating this thread. I am sure it will be a wonderful tribute to Mike.

I had the opportunity to have multiple PM’s with Mike and meet the man in person at the ’09 National Narrow Gauge Convention in Colorado Springs. We talked for about 30 minutes. It was a wonderful conversation.

One of the items which I need to note is that I just about stopped posting my builds on this forum. As many of you know, I tend to be a bit ‘long winded’ in my postings as I try to write for the ‘newer’ modelers and provide complete details of the techniques used at each step. Often, my posts do not have a lot of feedback, which has been a great source of frustration for me. Mike, on more than one occasion, reminded me that my postings are well received by the members as was shown by the number of views which my postings obtain. He also strongly, but quietly in his well crafted responses, encouraged me to continue to write and describe my modeling techniques in the detailed format which I use.

As you probably know, Mike did some pre-production work with some kit makers. Mike had a on-going working relationship with Walt of Rusty Stumps Scale Models . Walt was in attendance at Mike’s funeral services as the Forums representative.

To honor Mike’s work on pre-production of kits, as well as his relationship with Walt, I have chosen to build the Rusty Stumps “Reed & De Young Tabacconist’s Shop”.

Mike contributed to the group build thread on this kit, but worked on a pre-production version in the build thread. You can view the bild thread at: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22969 .

As it happened, KarlA was the first contributor on that thread, and provided the following picture of the kit, which I have copied below. (Karl - Hope you don't mind my coping the photo here.)

I will make additional references to the tips and techniques which I obtained from Mike during the construction of this kit. I will also be posting my version of the build in the established build thread noted earlier with some progress updates to this thread.

Thank you Mike… You are already greatly missed.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KP,
I wouldn't worry about not receiving any responses to your posts. I often feel the same way with some of my construction threads, but then I realize that there is SO much activity on this forum, peopel can't respond to everything. But, they do look and appreciate the work others do on the forum. So, I look forward to seeing your progress. Looks like a great structure for this challenge and I like the Mike/Walt connection.

Karl,
I'm in. I haven't participated in a challenge in a long time. And, I wanted to build something for my layout to honor Mike, anyway. I know Mike loved working with wood and expect many of the builds in this thread will be in wood, as a result. But, I love city structures...brick and mortar. So, my structure will be something for my city. Right now, I am debating between two kits I have....a City Classics or Magnuson Models kit. I am leaning towards the City Classics structure, only because it is something I have wanted to build. In the meantime, I've been digging through my details collection and pulled many out of it for this challenge.

One question....If I wanted to use Mike's "curmudgeon" image he used in his signature as part of a billboard, how can I get permission to use it?

Chuck

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in with an aged Rusty Stumps kit. I do not have enough talent yet to do a scratch build. I haven't chosen which kit to build to honor MikeC but I will before the end of the day.
Everytime Mike mentioned products that he used I rushed to buy them, in the hope that they would improve my modeling.... we'll see.

Kris, I love your builds and I enjoyed building with you and Mike on the "pawn, emporium" shop, please don't stop showing those of us less talented than you how to improve.

Jan

Edited by - Jan Kirkwood on 04/09/2010 1:18:48 PM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I’m in for the challenge.

I plan to build Campbell scale models Brett’s Brewery. Mike encouraged me to get this kit saying he had built many

and they were a fun build. So in memory of him, this kit will become Chambers Pallet and Barrels.

Mike`s Osage Valley Tie and Lumber Company will be supplying the timber for the pallets and Barrels.

Ive already started to cut out some of the windows and and the bracing of the walls.I will post some pictures later on.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  1:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thanks for starting this challenge.

It will be interesting to see what is built by everyone. I'm sure there will be a wide variety of interesting subjects.

I will be working with the Chambers News building mainly because of the exchange I had with MikeC about it. Probably will be put on a small base with various additions, which will contain a plaque in memory of MikeC.

I would also like to use his curmudgeon avatar.
Like Chuck asked, how does one get permission?

In memory of Mike Chambers

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to participate in this challenge.
About two years ago, I started to scratchbuild an S scale coaling complex, as part of a previous challenge.
After all this time, many other projects have prevented me to finish this one.
Among the things I've never done was giving a name to the coaling company. I think it will be : "The Chambers Coal Co."
My question is : do the rules of this challenge allow me to start from what I've already done on this project and try to finish it in the time frame?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Challenge' has no actual rules as such ...... finishing a previously started project is certainly welcomed.

Even if you already have a finished project which was built to honor Mike in the past then those pictures may also be added to the 'Finished Thread'.

As far as the avatar is concerned, I am not really qualified to answer. The previous conversations were regarding Mikes RR logo and Walt may have an answer for that question.
I dont know who's 'property' the avatar is or where it came from originally, maybe someone else has more information on this.

Thanks to those who have already 'joined' the thread, I for one am looking forward to seeing all the progress.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know what scale you are working in Ken, but as soon as I painterd this BIS figure it reminded me of MikeC.
It's funny that I had him in a newstand also (originally).
He is O scale.

Karl.A

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  4:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that pic brought a big smile to my face.

I'm working in HO and I could not for the life of me get a mustache on the figure I used so I only showed him from the back.

The resemblance is there...

In memory of Mike Chambers

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
First I made this thread and the final picture thread a sticky so they will remain on page one until the Challenge ends.

I have as Karl mentions already built a structure a while ago honoring Mike and I will be touching it up and then post pictures.

I will also find something else to build here in this thread but I am not exactly sure what it will be yet.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  7:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Kris kindly invited me, I will make the Rusty Stumps Tobacconist's Shop. Of course I will rename it.

Jan

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  7:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Thanks for getting this thread started.

I am in; my boom town in the Yukon could use a structure that specializes in welcoming new travelers to town. To generate revenue they will also be serving up a traditional Chambers family recipe of Bourbon and Corn Flakes.

I will review Mike’s techniques for wood siding during the build.

Here is a picture of what I want my town to look like some day. I have pointed at the location and structure that will honor Mike C.

Now to find a model of the old man he used at the end of hes posts.

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to seeing all the structures that come out of this tribute to Mike. What a great thing!

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  11:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Thanks Karl for getting the ball rolling on this thread. For my project I'm going to scratch build an O scale version of the Pump & Boiler House offered by Builders In Scale in HO. Mike mentioned that he'd built a number of BIS kits and enjoyed them, so this seems a fitting structure.

Here are a couple of pictures of the HO version I built about twenty years ago when the kit was first released.

Using many of the techniques I learned from Mike and others here on the forum I hope to do justice to this small structure.

I hope this build also honors the late Jim Haggard (original owner and kit designer of BIS) who like Mike left us way too soon.

On a little different note, Kris I really enjoy reading your post. I may not always comment, but I've learned a lot from your projects. I look forward to your challenge project.

Michael

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: cleaning metal castings. Topic Next Topic: my newly discovered stone wall painting technique  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000