Railroad Line Forums - Finished my Climax
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 231 ]  [ Total: 236 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Finished my Climax
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What grade can Bachmann Climax and Shay handle Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line
Page: of 2

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well....almost, after posting taking these photos I noticed that I have to add the bell and whistle cords.

For the most part this is a stock Bachmann Climax. The biggest change I made was installing some boxing gloves (San Jaun Evolution couplers) at On3 height. I am getting used to the size of the Evolution couplers but on this locomotive I do think that HO couplers would look fine. To installed the SJC couplers I cut off the cast on coupler pockets and scratchbuilt some new ones from styrene. Even with the new coupler pockets I had to modify the SJC coupler by reducing the thichness of the shank and I cut off the cast on center springs and used modified Kadee #5 centering springs.

To offset the look of the larger couplers I installed larger headlight and back-up lights. the back-up light is a PSC casting, the headlight I scratchbuilt from brass.

I did not like the side steps up to the cab so I scratchbuilt some stirups from brass. I modified some PSC rerail froms by making the hangers shorter.

The crew is made up of two Artisttia figures and one Priser.

It took me about 10 hours to weather the locomotive using only a brush (actuall a few different sizes0, artist acrylic paint from a tube, Polly Scale paint, and Bragdon powders. I used a lot of Polly Scale Oily Black with Bragdon powder to make a sludge of greese to build up on the frame and drive parts, which does not show good in the phots. I did rust the same way, brushing on Polly Scale rust and adding Bragdon powder while it was still wet.

A Soundtraxx decoder in the tender rounded out the changes. I wanted a sound cam on this locomotive and decided to install it on the back side of one of the counter weights. I added two electrical wipers to the back of the cam, one to supply constant power and one to pick up the chuff spots, it works very good.

I took a photo of it grouped with the cars that it will some day be pulling around with I get the new layout built.

Jeff

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice loco Jeff!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Lord Jeff. That is downright impressive! What a well done job! I can only dream of doing something that has such careful details..

I take my hat off to you.

Arthur

Arthur

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Very impressive! The engine looks perfect and the cars will make an excellent train.
Larry

chrismears
Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  11:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit chrismears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks just fantastic. It has a really well used look without looking like it's all used up yet.
/chris

---
Chris Mears
Charlottetown, PEI
---
Pigeons Inlet Railway & Navigation Company blog:
http://princestreet.wordpress.com

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  02:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very good looking engine!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  07:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, I'm speechless. Roland

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
super job!

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another amazing conversion. I like the "dirty" look on this loco.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say....

Great magazine quality photo's.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a sweet looking climax! And I really like the company logo design as well.

-Cody

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff

Tom M.

evangardner
Section Hand

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit evangardner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I say! That makes me want a climax. Superb job sir.

By the way, those hoppers are very nice too. I just had a search and found your thread on making them. Just the ticket for my railway I think. I shall have a go at making some.

Did you just paint the loco straight with the Acrylics? No primer needed?

Tally ho!

(sorry for the slightly british talk, just been watching lots of 'Allo 'Allo)

Evan Gardner
Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.ferrus-workshops.com

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  10:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn that looks great! You are really relishing this larger scale Mr Kraker, I just can't wait to see what you come up with scenery wise on your new layout!!! :)

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  10:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff..

Sa-weet! Nice looking Climax.

On30Rick

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evangardner

Did you just paint the loco straight with the Acrylics? No primer needed?

Tally ho!

(sorry for the slightly british talk, just been watching lots of 'Allo 'Allo)

I did not use a primer, my model came decorated for Midwest Quarry, I sanded off the logo under the cab and brush painted it black. all the weathering and touch up was done with brushes, no air brush anywhere. I did spray can dull coat over the decals with Testors dullcoat.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: What grade can Bachmann Climax and Shay handle Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000