Railroad Line Forums - Sierra West Logging Camp diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Sierra West Logging Camp diorama
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Here or in large Scales? Topic Next Topic: Butchers Way at Highway 20 (an FSM Kit-bash)
Page: of 20

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  3:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the eight elements of "Essentials" are done, and I have started doing "Main Street", it is time to scope out the diorama they will use as a home. I've layered several pieces of pink foam onto a base of 1/2" gator board 2'x3', cut a v-shape creek bed, and glued several feet of ties that were stained with a couple of modified mixes to the thing. Good job to do while the olympics were on TV. I've set the structures in place and cut out the footprints for the Main Street buildings. I'll work on the diorama while continuing the structure building. A year ago I was just starting Twin Mills, and this seems as daunting a project with even more castings and detailing to do. As the say, I'll keep you posted.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  3:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kris - this will be fun watching you pull it all together.

Dodgezilla04
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's nice. what scale?

Chris.

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  4:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HO scale, and I only know that because when I was at Sierra Wests site early this morning and stumbled across the pictures. Very nice indeed.

Steve T

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the cuts are really clean in the foam. Are you using a hot knife?

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  6:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You have already made some fantastic progress in a very short time Mike, seeing the multitude of structures layed out emphasises what a large project this is, and also what a great job you are doing of it. I can already see that this is going to be one of the 'highlight' dioramas/builds this year on the forum, if not THE highlight.

I'm another eager follower anticipating the next up date.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  6:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I appologise if I missed it, but I dot recall seeing many castings being painted so far, I know that I for one would have to do at least some of the castings as I was going along with the structures. I know from Elliots fantastic build of the diorama and Brett's outstanding original on the SWSM website there are a ton of details for each kit, to combine all the kits and then be left with the culmmination of literally hundreds of details to paint at the end would certainly overwhelm me.

I was just wondering on the 'master plan'......

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  8:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This first shot is very promising, Mike.
I think I understand well Karl's concern about the daunting task of painting hundreds of castings, and the good idea to spread this work over the whole building process.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  9:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike

Impressive to say the least. Is this a CSS2010 project???

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  12:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mike. Brett's stuff is just super. Quite the project.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you mentioned Twin Mills, but this looks like an even bigger project.
Will this become part of a layout?

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is one ambitious dio.
I really enjoyed the sawmill so will be watching this.
I only have one concern - the quantity of RR tracks. It seems like way too many for a small logging community with limited funds.
Especially the Main St. I think it would be more prototypical to have a dirt road for vehicles.
The other two tracks would more than suffice for handling all the rail traffic the little town would have.
Looks like the LP's will have to leave their cars outside of town.

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  10:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave - only 2 of the tracks belong to the small logging company - the third is an interchange with a big line - based upon too many prototypes to mention but the layout is quite realistic...

Brett

bye the way Mike - awesome!!!!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Having spent the last week or two bouncing around webpages for inspiration......

As Brett says... just one of many....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/19/2010 11:06:08 AM

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right on the money Karl - for more shots of the Polson Logging Company check out the book "Railroad Camp" by Adolf Hungry Wolf. What an awesome book loaded with inspiration...

Brett

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: Here or in large Scales? Topic Next Topic: Butchers Way at Highway 20 (an FSM Kit-bash)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000