Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Porter
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: GNMT76 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Porter
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Cribbing ? ?s Topic Next Topic: Porter 0-4-2 Conversion  

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  8:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but can anyone tell me the minimum radius the porter can handle. I don't currently own one but I'm thinking of buying one for a small layout.

Thanks in advance
Michael

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  8:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael --

0-4-0 Porter: 6" min. radius

0-4-2 Porter: 9" min. radius ... if you remove the spring between the frame and trailing truck, it will run on 7" radius.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  9:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

quote:
Hi Michael --

0-4-0 Porter: 6" min. radius

0-4-2 Porter: 9" min. radius ... if you remove the spring between the frame and trailing truck, it will run on 7" radius.

Thanks so much Dallas, it's just the information I needed. It is your Dead Mule & Sinagua RR project that got me to thinking about building a small layout. I was hoping to keep the depth to 24" so that sort of limits the radius to about 10". A porter and some of your small cars will work out nicely.

Thanks again.

Michael

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  9:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

Hi Michael --

i was looking at my 0-4-2 and i cant seem to see what you are talking about?????

am i just not seeing it or am i just blind, do you have a diagram you can post

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave -- It's a shaped metal piece between the trailing truck & frame. If you can't see it, then put on a pair of reading glasses ... remove the screw that secures the trailing truck ... remove the trailing truck ... and the shaped metal spring thingy will either be left on the frame or stuck to the trailing truck. (Then put it all together while you remember how it goes!)

I suppose it helps with keeping the trailing truck on the track, but it does limit the radius. If you're using the 0-4-2T Porter on 9" radius or larger, then keep the spring in place ... if you're trying to go tighter, remove it and see how that works for you.

Michael -- I'm sticking with the 0-4-0T Porter for the Dead Mule RR ... decided to go with the tight 6" radius curves on one end to squeeze in the maximum amount of "stuff" ... (buildings, siding, etc). That will work with the little Bachmann side-dumps, BVM 4-wheel cars, etc.

The 0-4-2T is cool too ... if you go for 7-1/2" radius, you should be able to get that to run reliably with the easy modification suggested. One more note ... when making these very tight curves, you have to use some extra care to avoid kinks in the track and especially where the curves meet tangents (straight-aways) or turnouts ... Have fun!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

The 0-4-2T is cool too ... if you go for 7-1/2" radius, you should be able to get that to run reliably with the easy modification suggested. One more note ... when making these very tight curves, you have to use some extra care to avoid kinks in the track and especially where the curves meet tangents (straight-aways) or turnouts ... Have fun!

My 0-4-2 will run on my micros 7 1/2" radius curves with the spring still in, if I go slow and in forward. I shaped my curves by bending the track around a mixing bowl.

Good luck with your project.

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  08:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of HO scale 0-4-0 motor units that I plan to kit-bash into a rail car or pick up truck, which would run on a 7-1/2" radius.

Previous Topic: Cribbing ? ?s Topic Next Topic: Porter 0-4-2 Conversion  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000