Railroad Line Forums - Butcher's Way at Highway 20 (an FSM Kit-bash)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Butcher's Way at Highway 20 (an FSM Kit-bash)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sierra West Logging Camp diorama Topic Next Topic: Built-rite Models
Page: of 8

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scene is similar in most every small town, where the road from forested hills and wilderness meets civilization. Here you will always find a garage or gas station, a market, a restaurant, a barn and perhaps a few other commercial buildings, those bare essentials necessary to support the needs of the locals and seasonal visitors. And so it is along this road. Come and enjoy a tour of Jim Lucas' and my latest build, which we call Butcher's Way at Highway 20, a Fine Scale Miniatures kit-bash, our version of one of those small towns, back in the day when hunting was a greater part of everyday life.

Up the hill from the highway sits Butcher's Way Auto Repair. (This it the kit Wolcott Meat Co. structure, stripped to the base building and sunk into the base to make the pre-cut doors align with the sloping ground. Gas pumps and awning, as well as a garage pit and in-door repair area were added.)

Business is always brisk and today is no different. In fact, a tow truck just brought in another car for Joe to repair. Based on the leaking water, looks like itís time for a new water pump.

Across the street and uphill sits The Treasure Chest Antiques, (the barn looking half of the kit butcher shop, dressed up to meet the needs of an antique shop). Not much activity on a weekday morning.

Directly across the street from the auto repair is Ma Magdalina's Luncheonette (built per the kit, but sitting on the Meat Co. butcher shop platform, which also makes a great outdoor deck and eating area).

Next door, on the downhill side, sits Bucksnort Taxidermy (the other half of the kit butcher shop, modified as needed for a stand-alone commercial establishment, with living quarters upstairs. Business will soon be brisk, now that deer season has opened. The highway location always helps to draw new customers.

Across the way and also on the highway is The Butcher's Market (a scratch-built structure, loosely based of several western prototype country markets, with the kit meat locker added to the back.) Business is always good for Bob, being the only market for miles, but even better since those gas pumps were installed. Joe, the auto shop owner, still isn't happy about loosing a good share of customers. Their wives still are not talking.

A deer hunter just pulled in to offload a deer at the back meat locker. The deer carcass is on the meat hook and the deer bag is already being removed. Yep, that's Bob inside with the apron, making sure they keep that carcus well away from his beef and pork.

His partner is happy to tell the hunting story to anyone and everyone who will listen, although that rack in is hand isn't worth too long a listen.

Speaking of deer, the hunters are always rolling into town asking which mountain has the big deer herds. The locals will never tell, that the biggest bucks are usually found hiding in town. It just would not be right to put the "local pets" at risk.

Across the highway is the pride of the town, a majestic structure simply called The Barn (a scratch-built structure based on a prototype barn near Fort Ann, NY. The kit stock pens were used here on the left side and expanded around back and to the right.) Not just a barn, this is The Barn, known as such by everyone in five counties because of its size and beauty. Built nearly a hundred years ago, it is sagging some and showing it's age, but still serving it's original purpose. Looks like the cattle have been driven in and should ship to market by train soon.

This Butcher's Way kit-bash, was built as a reminder of my childhood hunting days and as a personal challenge, to make something completely different than was initially intended. It was also another exercise in westernizing structures and creating a town scene on a slope where differing elevations could be used to better showcase the individual buildings.

We should all remember to look beyond the kit mfg's picture, to not look at what a kit is, but what it can become. Thanks to George Sellios for providing a kit that can be modified to almost anything the builder wishes. Jim and I hope you like the resultant diorama as much as we do.

Gregg

Photos of my layout, as well as links to other structure builds, can be found by visiting the following link:

C&DRR Layout Thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22998

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  2:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are absolutely amazing, Gregg! What an outstanding build!

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  2:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely perfect Gregg. What a joy to scan through the photos of the diorama. Wonderful...wonderful...wonderful...

Bob Farquhar

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so good, that I am now discouraged with everything I've done. All kidding aside, this is one of the best I've seen. It's a very believable scene and masterfully done.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gregg:

I concur just outstanding. I especially like the old barn and cow pens.

Karl S.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  3:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A really nice job on "the barn". I've been waiting for that model since you posted the photos.
And the entire diorama with your storyline is perfect.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg
A true gem! Breathtaking work. Need to wait unti tomorrow to soak in all the photos on my laptop. Right now, I'm just amazed at what you have done, while carefully studying each one on the iPhone screen.
Peter

chooch41
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  3:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm speechless. Great job!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, that is an absolutely beautiful scene. It looks so real and the back story you give just brings it to life

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done!! I'm going to just sit back and admire for a few hours if you don't mind.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  6:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fabulous, Gregg. Boy, you certainly have the knack of bringing 'country drive' memories alive. Outstanding modelling, as all. Please share our sentiments with Jim as well.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  7:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

You guys are absolutely amazing, Gregg! What an outstanding build!

Thanks Mike. I think this build will touch most everyone.

For we have all seen this place, somewhere in our travels, though few of us ever stopped to visit.

Gregg

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  7:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg, let me also add some superlatives to the thread. Truly outstanding, a really believable scene.

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  7:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Absolutely perfect Gregg. What a joy to scan through the photos of the diorama. Wonderful...wonderful...wonderful...

Bob Farquhar

Hi Bob and thanks, from both of us. Here is one more pic I am sure you will enjoy.

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  7:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Head

This is so good, that I am now discouraged with everything I've done. All kidding aside, this is one of the best I've seen. It's a very believable scene and masterfully done.

Hi Danny. We really appreciate your comments and kind words. If we made this scene believeable to you, then we accomplished our intended goal.

Gregg

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  7:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very cool stuff

Elliott

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Sierra West Logging Camp diorama Topic Next Topic: Built-rite Models  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000