Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol.2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol.2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Fairmont Motorcar Topic Next Topic: Early ON30?
Page: of 100

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm extraordinarily flattered by some of the later comments;o) My hat size has grown... Allen and Sellious are my two all time favorites, along with early Furlow... The detail level is what makes Sellios' layout so amazing... What I like in F&SM is the feeling of going exploring in an ocean of detail, like these overcrammed drawings in some childrens books ("see if you can find the golden beetle"...)I wouldn't change a thing. It reflects his personality, as did Allen's G&D.

I hope to achieve a 3D rendition of the way I'd paint Maine if I ever get there... I use detail as eye-catchers in my paintings the same way as in the layout. Small splashes of color and edges of contrast to give the eyes a kick. If I filled my layout with detail everywhere, there'd be no place to relax, and the important places would drown in the clutter (and I'd be broke ;o).

Thanks for the powerful support!!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  12:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Troels. I too think your work is outstanding. For a few years Malcolm Furlow & I worked together on my HON3 Silverton & Telluride railway. I see some of your weathering & a little lean & bow to some of your structures. Malcolum & I often talked about doing some seaside work but as he put if Haydon & Frary have that world to deal with & we will do the Colorado stuff. Now may years later after seeing your work I too will do something with a coastline In ON30. I talked to Malcolm a few months ago & told him about my idea & he said great but what about 1:20.3. Not sure he knows how much space it would take to do 1:20.3 seaside. I think i will stay with ON30.

Keep up the good work

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, Fl

MSIGMON

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  4:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Mike, modeling seaside in On30 is pretty huge...

I made a foamcore beach today below the hotel, and began building up a foam hille for the hotel.

I have also made a harbor wall for the Convers Harbor today. Made from carved plasterboard (don't do it...) about a meter long (40 inches). I made a lower foundation (will get 10 mm more height) for the Convers Seafood. Suddenly there's a harbor in need of water, boats, life...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Looks promising, Troels.
Could you please post a close-up of the blue and red row boat in the last picture?

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Here's the very small dinghy Frédéric! Made from index card and balsa...

Today I made stone walls for all sides of the Convers Harbor, then began plaster work in the new area. Still needs rock castings and spackling before ground cover... Plaster bandages over cardboard strips, fibreglass mesh tape and assorted pieces of foam. The structure bases needs blending in too of course.

Finally I painted the tree backdrop. Just enough to get a depth illusion when loads of trees get planted on the hill.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Troels, thanks for the close-up of the small boat. Very nice backdrop and the landscape around (and below) Seaview House is really looking good.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  4:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Troels,

What an excellent view of the waterfront. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ian Hodgkiss
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ian Hodgkiss's Homepage
I see you are going to model a whirlpool in the middle of the harbour in front of the sea wall. Otherwise it is the sinkplug for all those red wines you have to gain inspiration!!!!!

Superlatives all round again. Let me know when and which magazine this is all going to appear in.

Although in a very different style, this layout now rivals Pempoul for detail and atmosphere. Except your layout is about three times larger and hasn't taken 14 years!

Ian Hodgkiss#8232;
The Steamy Pudding - NG in 1:24 scale (in progress)
Frog Halt - NG in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
East of the Wanganui River, south of Hokitika - NG logging in 1:43 scale (planned)#8232;
Brisbane, Australia

DHM
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  6:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Crop circles in Convers Harbor??

Haaa...

Don
Anchorage AK

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  7:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Troels, with the backdrop you have the foregtound will be nothing short of spectacular.

Mark

W,L,&E

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I have cast rock croppings and colored them, and "sanded" the beach by the hotel...

While waiting for all to dry I have tested my new portable backdrop... I took a photo of the sky late one day, scaled the result to 250x125cm/100x50 inches, and had it printed on vinyl in a banner print shop. I tacked the banner to a piece of wood, and use a microphone stand to hold the outfit in place. I have to be quite careful not to get reflections in the cloth, as they get different color temperatures than the rest, but hopefully I'll learn to control that... Here are the first shots Wonderful to be able to get previously impossible angles without shelving, worktables or the rest of the layout.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

wanderingsailor
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Is the wharf planking eventually going to become darker? The photos are wonderful as they are, but perhaps a darker stain might focus more attention on the structures. Just my 2 cents...

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Very nice. This is really coming together.

Arthur

Arthur

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Troels. I too think your work is outstanding. For a few years Malcolm Furlow & I worked together on my HON3 Silverton & Telluride railway. I see some of your weathering & a little lean & bow to some of your structures. Malcolum & I often talked about doing some seaside work but as he put if Haydon & Frary have that world to deal with & we will do the Colorado stuff. Now may years later after seeing your work I too will do something with a coastline In ON30. I talked to Malcolm a few months ago & told him about my idea & he said great but what about 1:20.3. Not sure he knows how much space it would take to do 1:20.3 seaside. I think i will stay with ON30.

Keep up the good work

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, Fl

Very sorry for hijacking this thread, but Mike- that is good that you talked to Malcolm only a few months ago. How is he doing? I hope his health is well. I too like early Furlow, and think his D&RCW is his best work. I always did wonder what happened to it?

Are you going to tell him about us?

Thanks,

Arthur

Arthur

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:49:30 PM  Show Profile
It's looking absolutely beautiful as ever Troels. This layout is becoming a work of art that can shine with all the best in our hobby.

I really like the way the hotel stands over the town and the new perspectives you have with the moveable sky backdrop

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Fairmont Motorcar Topic Next Topic: Early ON30?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000