Railroad Line Forums - Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dogs Topic Next Topic: Coast Line R.R. founded  

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  10:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the talk on the forum bout boats recently has gotten me thinking about a little known bit of history. As the president of the Leslie Michigan Area historical Society, my research leads me to some strange and often very interesting places. I've been doing research on the marine architect Frank E. Kirby, who is the grandson of early Leslie pioneer Silas Kirby. Two of Kirby's ships, the Seeandbee and the Greater Buffalo were Converted into training Aircraft Carriers(the U.S.S. Wolverine and the U.S.S. Sable, respectively) during world war 2. Former president George Bush Sr. Qualified in an Avenger for Carrier landings aboard the Sable. I will post pics next to allow for editing. Steve

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  10:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The USS Wolverine The USS Sable

the grand saloon of the Seeandbee

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a heck of a pilots ready room!

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  11:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, The thought of all of that wood work being torn out makes me sad. Fortunately, the Gothic room from the Former City of Detroit was saved and is in the Dossin Great Lakes Museum.The Gothic room window featuring LaSalle

A model of the Seeandbee

The Sable under construction

Edited by - teaspoon on 12/16/2009 11:21:31 PM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  05:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where does the "sidewheel" come in? When I first read the title I thought there was going to be an aircraft carrier with side mounted paddlewheels.

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  06:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, They are there, you can see the circular housing in the top photo, and again in the photo of the model of the seeandbee right where seeandbee is painted on the side. The wheels were enclosed.

In this photo you can see the circular housing

In this photo you can see wake mid ship. Well that's all I'm going to post, this is after all a train forum. More info the Seeandbee, SS Greater Buffalo, USS Wolverine, USS Sable, and Frank E Kirby go to Wikipedia Thank you for your interest in this little known bit of history. Steve H. President, Leslie Area Historical Society

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teaspoon

Bob, They are there, you can see the circular housing in the top photo, and again in the photo of the model of the seeandbee right where seeandbee is painted on the side. The wheels were enclosed.

In this photo you can see the circular housing

In this photo you can see wake mid ship. Well that's all I'm going to post, this is after all a train forum. More info the Seeandbee, SS Greater Buffalo, USS Wolverine, USS Sable, and Frank E Kirby go to Wikipedia Thank you for your interest in this little known bit of history. Steve H. President, Leslie Area Historical Society

Thanks for the great pictures and even if this is a railroad forum many people here model boats on their layout.
Gregg W has many boat models in various threads and I have a thread about building a sternwheeler in the Craftsman's Corner.

With the number of posts about aircraft in the crew Lounge I think that boats deserve equal billing, so post away.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a beautiful room Steve!

The more research I do on shipbuilding the more I agree with John. I just saw a sternwheeler and next to it was a narrow gauge service track....so they go hand and hand. Carfloats loaded with r/r equipment. Ferries etc. NYC had numerous floating revenues.

Its amazing how that was converted to an aircraft carrier. Kind of hard to accept as the ends look as if they overhang the hull.

Philip

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll add more, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes.From what I've read, there wasn't a hangar deck, and these ships were really just a mobile platform for training missions. There were no weapons either. George Bush said that he remembered how cold it was on that flight deck. This spring I'm going to get over to Detroit to see the Dossin Great Lakes Museum. I also want to see Judge Arthur Tuttle's (Leslie Native
)"Million Dollar Courtroom" at the Federal court Building. Steve

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting ship. You could always say it's a "narrow" ship to make it eligible for this forum!

Arthur

Arthur

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
Thanks for the post! I've always had a soft spot for those lake steamers. Not sure if you're aware but Dawson's Great Lake Ship Museum on Belle Isle also boasts the largest collection of 1/8" scale Lake Boats in the world. That's kissin' cousin to HO scale.
Another source on-line is hosted by Bowling Green University. It lists the descriptions and photos of Lake boats reaching back nearly 150 years. Steamers,Ore boats, Lumber Hookers, Whalebacks, excursion ships (like those in this post), schooners, you name it and you can search for it.

http://ul.bgsu.edu/cgi-bin/xvsl2.cgi

Regards,
Greg Rich

Previous Topic: Dogs Topic Next Topic: Coast Line R.R. founded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000