Railroad Line Forums - Chez Testard - Seafood Restaurant
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Chez Testard - Seafood Restaurant
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dolores Inspired Depot... Topic Next Topic: New England farmhouse
Page: of 4

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had already started a thread for this structure, but apparently not, so....

This structure was conceived during the "Paper Challenge" in the 'Craftsmans Corner'.

I withdrew the structure from the challenge as I felt I could not do the structure (or it's namesake) justice with the limitations of only using paper or card as determined by the spirit of the challenge.

Since then the structure has sat on a shelf patiently waiting...... until now.

The structure is a freelance design depicting a fairly large townbuilding which houses "fine dining seafood restaurant, a small bakery and also a cocktail lounge" on the street level. The upper floors are still undecided at this point.

Construction is a foamboard subwall structure clad with individual clapboards, all doors windows, architectural details are/will be scratchbuilt.

The structure is named for Frederic Testard, a modeller who continues to inspire and amaze me with each new project he shares.

So, I'll post all the 're-cap' posts and pics and then move forward with getting this one moved over to the 'completed' shelf....

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/08/2009 01:15:54 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted - 02/05/09

""" I've decided on this 'town' structure for the next build. It may vary slightly during construction as I'll be designing as I build so as usual, all input, ideas or critiques are gratefully received. """

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
originally posted 02/15/09

"""I finally got some bench time in the last three days, Thursday evening I made and primed the larger of the three ‘shopfront’ windows, yesterday I made the front subwall and added the siding and tonight I made the windows and installed them into the front wall, hopefully I’ll get some more progress done tomorrow. """

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/19/09

I designed and cut out the "alleyway" side wall and then added the clapboard to it and a sign. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get a few hours again and be able to make the windows for this side and maybe even the large side entry.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/08/2009 01:44:41 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/20/09

Unfortunately I had for gotten that I have run out of instant superglue so I was unable to build the windows last night, I did however manage to build(out of card) and install the window frames and 'finish' the front main window.

Appologies for the picture quality.

Hope fully I'll remember to stop and get the glue before I get home tonight.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/21/09

Windows and doorway added to the alleyway side of the structure. Time to move on to build the 'basics' of another wall and come back to add the details to this one later.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/21/09

Well, maybe one small detail before bed....

It was going to be a bar but I decided to go more upmarket with a cocktail lounge.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/22/09

As I only had a rough idea of what was around the back of the structure I decided it would be a good idea to atleast make all the subwalls and work out how it was going to go together.

So after spending the afternoon transplanting a few hundred seedlings I spent a couple of hours at the bench measuring, cutting and figuring, here is the result.

Its funny, I dont recall there being that many windows around the back to make when I had first envissioned the structure, oh well.

There's enough 'living' space up there for a hotel, but I have ideas for a hotel already so I'm undecided.

Time to eat and then maybe some siding tonight.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 02/28/09

I added the rear siding and built the rear windows earlier in the week, after a few days away I finally got a couple of bench hours this morning and was able to build/install the window frames and then install the windows.

Next on the list will be to design/construct the corner entry and bakery main windows.

quote:
Originally posted by TrainClown

What will the double door be used for? A service entrance perhaps or a loading dock for one of the stores?

The double door will lead into the rear kitchen of the restaurant and is used for deliveries, in theory.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 03/01/09

I finally got this sucker glued together with all of the roof trim except for the higher front and side which is waiting for me to make the corbels, the larger lower roof is just sitting there until I decide on the water tank or not, if I do it will be a slightly scaled down version of this Cornersone HO one pictured and made from Card.
The HO tank still looks too big to me, even sitting on a fairly large O structure, it must need a huge HO roof to sit on....

I had never liked the brown main front as it was too close in colour to the 'red mahogany' siding, the white isnt as bright as the pictures show but I'm still not sure about it, but, I 'll wait untill I'm further along before making an absolute decision. Any colour or finishing sugestions are appreciated.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted 03/01/09 (Timmy's first appearance)

]
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

........................... Where is the dog, Frederic must be out taking him for a walk.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  01:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And so at this point in the construction I 'pulled' the build from the "Paper Challenge"

Many of the ideas I had on how I wanted the build to proceed were 'doable' with paper/card, but, I felt I could do better with other materials, and so in respect of the challenge guidelines I stopped posting progress, infact I stopped progress.

And now the new thread is up to date, I am refreshed on where I was upto after re-reading all the original posts so now completion can hopefully be achieved.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  03:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, it's a pleasure to watch this building again, not only because of its name...
In fact, since I'm generally the cook here for the rest of the family, I think you've really done the right choice by attributing me this kind of activity. Besides, it's easier to sell seafood than triangles and other awkward math items...
Looking forward to see how you proceed with the end of this project.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  03:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,
It's great to see you back on this one. I to look forward to more progress. Love that dog!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you are just amazing! I'm really looking forward to seeing how you finish this up.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, really great structure, it will be great to see it finished and mabe a small diorama. keep up the good work.

Mark

W,L,&E

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Dolores Inspired Depot... Topic Next Topic: New England farmhouse  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000