Railroad Line Forums - Small On30 or 55n3 Gallows Turntable build/bash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: 2109keego ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Small On30 or 55n3 Gallows Turntable build/bash
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Your Top 3 wish list for new ON30 products Topic Next Topic: Sound Decoder for On30 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical
Page: of 12

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  07:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, it would look good to have a small retaining wall holding up a hillside and on the other side holding up the TT. Would make a lot of nice stone work.

Mark

W,L,&E

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Mark -- Yes, playing with ideas about varying the terrain around the pit ... this loose pile of stones suggests what could go on the low side to keep the pit rail from washing out ... more likely, it would be one or two layers of stone showing and the ground sloping away below those.

Meanwhile, made some progress toward planking the deck. Added some cross ties and glued these planks in place (above) ...

Then cut some loose planks to fit closer to the track ... these will be painted separately and glued in place after the track is weathered, wired, etc.

Then made a removable section of planks to fit at each end between the rails ...

These will lift out to provide access to adjusting screws that will (hopefully!) allow fine tuning of the bridge alignment.

Current plan is to cut the shape of each A-frame from .040" styrene sheet ... which just happens to fit in the groove between the side beams ... then laminate styrene strip to get the proper heft for each frame member. And, a bit of the .040 sheet at the bottom will nest in the groove between the side beams to "mortise" the joint ... hopefully make it somewhat resistant to being bumped, etc.

Stay tuned to see if that plan actually works!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  11:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas:

Looks good so far. Doug Coffee redid and Atlas Turntable sometime ago and it came out pretty cool. I'll be watching your thread with interest.

Karl S.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dallas, the wall looks pretty good stacked up there, it will be great to see what you end up with.

Mark

W,L,&E

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas

I just picked up on this thread and am having a good time following along with your thought process and construction techniques. As usual, great job!

Rick

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more progress ...

Cut out the .040 sheet to match the drawing. Red lines along the angled sides are where I expanded the drawing to match the .188" wide strip that I wanted to use. The styrene sheet is the "middle" piece of the A-frame and slips into the groove between the side beams on the turntable deck. I built this up by laminating styrene strip on both sides of the sheet after cutting to shape. The fuzzies in the picture are from distressing the inside edges of the styrene sheet before it became too difficult to get in there.

Cut two pieces of 080x188 strip like this to mount on each side. (Two thicknesses of 080 plus the 040 sheet = .200" thick ... which makes it nearly a 10x10" beam as shown on plan.)

Shaped the uprights to match the plan and notched the ends for the cross members that span the top of the two A-frames ...

Laminated strips to the center sheet ... did some work in advance to distress the interior areas while easily accessible. Waited till assembly dried, then sanded outside surfaces smooth and distressed those.

Added Grandt Line #16 NBW's and countersunk the holes so the connecting rods would run horizontal. (Didn't want the NBW's sticking out at weird angles.)

Cut the cross member to support the center tension wires and added Tichy #2016 queenposts to that. Not sure if that's the best choice of hardware for this application ... but I had them handy and it seemed at least somewhat sensible ... I think!

So, now I've just got to build another one, and it'll start to sorta kinda look like an A-frame gallows turntable, eh?

Cheers,
Dallas

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas
Nice progress on the turntable and all the step by step photos and tutorial are greatly appreciated.
Peter

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"EH?".... When did you move to Canada? LOL!!!
Looking great Dallas!!!! Very nice imagineering/engineering!!!
Bill

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,
Those are some fine side supports.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the first A frame...smart idea to slip the center most slice into the gap! Got to remember that one....(wonder if there were any "gallows" turntables in the east??

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  07:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, When you started this project, I could understand why you want to use a flat, surface mounted, altas TT, because they are just ugly. But WOW. You have made an ugly duckling into a swan. Good Job.

I see you are modeling in the southwest. here is a link for sunset stone company, gives you some ideas about the stone and color you are using.

http://www.sunsetstone.net/Template.php?-p=Colors&-d=Styles+Output&-r=2.7

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  5:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh no, another boring rerun!

Yup, found just enough modeling time to build up the second A-frame assembly (in the background here) ... still have to sand down and distress the outside edges, then add the cross beam and hardware. Now when I glance over at it, the beast is starting to look just a little more like a turntable each time.

After I finish up the second A-frame, I'll have to rig up some "shoes" for the feet of those frame and start adding more hardware to the TT beams ... meanwhile, thanks for the nice notes, encouragement and links!

Cheers,
Dallas

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  6:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Dallas. Looking forward to the next installment.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  7:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas!!! Super fine!!! Are ya gonna make it 33 1/3, 45 or 78 rpm????
Just kidin my friend....very kool project & great engineering!!!

Bill

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  09:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas,

Found this Model Power "HO" water tower which is perfect for Scale55.

The dude with the body putty is a Wargames Factory "Zombie" being resurrected as the Scale55 "Engineer Bill".

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 12/26/2009 09:20:15 AM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Your Top 3 wish list for new ON30 products Topic Next Topic: Sound Decoder for On30 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000