Railroad Line Forums - Small On30 or 55n3 Gallows Turntable build/bash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Small On30 or 55n3 Gallows Turntable build/bash
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Your Top 3 wish list for new ON30 products Topic Next Topic: Sound Decoder for On30 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical
Page: of 12

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dallas, The turntable looks great and like Rick would like to thank you for the attention to detail in documenting this build. I too have bookmarked it for further reference.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas

It looks nice! I am aouple of weeks away from trying my luck. Thanks for the guide to follow!

On30Rick

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  6:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas
Terrific work and a wonderful thread.
Thanks
Peter

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  6:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Turntable looks great Dallas, thanks for posting the how to.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  07:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me add my thanks and congratulations to the others', Dallas. Great build and excellent documentation for other builders.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  07:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hooray! The said I should take some time out this week to get back to the railroad.

So, I finished up the bridge assembly as shown above ... dusted it a bit to lessen the contrast of the rust on the hardware ... glued the center planks to the track ... glued the track to the bridge ... then added the planks along the outer edge of the track. Shown with the removable end planks that allow access to the centering screws ...

Connected the wires between the bridge and Atlas TT ... then fumbled around a bit to get the wires folded up properly so the bridge would sit flat ... then TESTED a loco on the bridge to make sure the connections were good ...

Got the openings in the bridge roughly aligned with the screw holes in the lower assembly ...

Then added the little screws and washers that secure the bridge and allow adjustment ... gave the bridge a full spin to make sure that it cleared the pit wall everywhere ... then placed a LOOSE piece of track at one of the stall positions and checked alignment of the bridge by turning it 180 degrees and seeing how it lined up. Made a slight adjustment, then tightened the adjusting screws.

SUGGESTION: If you build a TT with similar adjusting screws, etc, then do the initial tests with a piece of LOOSE track ... that way, if the alignment is off and the bridge track strikes the stall track, there won't be any damage ... the loose track would just get pushed aside. (And, I'm happy to say that I did not figure that out the hard way!)

So, at this point, what you see above is a very welcome bit of progress for me! Next, I'll install the approach and stall tracks and then get back to "workin' on the railroad" ... guess I'll have to go drag Dadburn Cottonmouth out of the saloon again.

PS -- Thanks for all the friendly and supportive comments along the way ... I'll post some more pix when the track work is done ... then "one day" I'll post some pix with scenery around the TT ... one day!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, all I can say is...A JOB WELL DONE.

When you started this build, I could not imagine how you could make an Atlas, flat deck, TT into something we would want, sitting on our "works of art". You opened my eyes to what could happen, with a little vision and lots of hard work. Thanks for this build.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  09:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, I'll add another...JOB WELL DONE.

Your thoroughness in describing and photographing all the steps would encourage me to attempt this conversion.
Thanks for your effort.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, great job on the turn table, and great instructions. Can't wait to see the final pictures in your layout thread.

Mark

W,L,&E

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, The turntable turned out great. This would make a great kit to add to your line, HINT HINT. Roland

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  8:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas -

Fantastic job!!! If I hadn't seen the build, I'd assume it was mostly a wood table.

-John

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've started on a piece of removable scenery to hide the turntable motor, and posted a few photos of that in the layout thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28213&whichpage=4

Please stop by and visit in the Micro & Mini Layout section for (occasional) updates ... and, on behalf of Dadburn Cottonmouth and myself, we certainly invite you to subscribe to the thread ... the dang thing ain't gonna happen quick, but the little bits of progress here and there are what make the hobby fun! Hmm, guess I'll have to get working on the saloon before long if we're gonna have guests.

Cheers,
Dallas

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  3:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazin! Simply Amazin!!!
Dallas - I have always liked the effort that you put
into your BVM kits and appreciate the detail.
But, this one, you have outdone yourself!
Just beautiful, start to finish!

Geezer

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  03:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crap that's nice!!!!
What a clever use for the old Atlas Turntable!!! Well Done!!!

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  04:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That little layout is one of the "too many projects" that I look forward to re-visiting when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Dallas

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Your Top 3 wish list for new ON30 products Topic Next Topic: Sound Decoder for On30 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000