Railroad Line Forums - Hook, Line & Sinker.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Hook, Line & Sinker.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?
Page: of 11

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  01:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  01:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A joy to follow your journey! A fine build full of charm!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  01:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And so to bed......

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  01:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words Troels, it's a pleasure to know you are watching.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  03:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super work on the detailing, Karl. You can feel proud for having all these details home made.
The water turned out great too. It's good to see Mike come so fast to visit your new build, I'm just afraid he might have difficulties to stop the jet-ski before the wall...

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  03:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A comment and a question... As a sailor I have a slight problem with the large ship bollards mounted on such a small wharf... and on the side too... a couple of much smaller wooden cleats or wrought iron rings on the front edge would make mooring easier. The big bollards are set in concrete on ships quays... This was just to be nasty and nitpicking ;0) I love the structure as is... and the dog in particular... many times have Anne or I been greeted (or bitten) by small dogs like that when mooring at such places
And for the question: what is the diameter of the dowels used for pilings?

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  05:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl

It amazes me how fast you work and the top notch quality you keep producing.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of this build with us.

What did you use for the water? It looks fantastic.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that was a great build and at that speed. Can hardly wait to see what you do next.

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Troels, Wes and Mark very appreciated, in answer to the questions...

Troels, I will replace the bollards as you say. The dowels are 5/16" usually I use 1/4" but the store had sold out.

Wes, the water is clear LATEX caulk over a painted base, applied as on the previous page.

Mark, I have three scratchbuilds and a kit in mind to start this week......

Crispy's Depot - A small passenger depot
Bar Nichols - A waterfront 'tavern'
An upscale to O
and hopefully a kit if it gets delivered in time.
Oh, and I want to get several of those 'almost finished' structures onto the finished shelves...

It should be a busy couple of weeks at the bench.

This one is essentially finished, but, I will have to wait to post the final pics for a few days as I need to go out of town to work on a job, all that remains to be done, is ..... the front main steps to be glued on, barnacles/seaweed around the pilings and rocks and now of course to replace the bollards with some smaller cleats.

Thanks for reading
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/08/2009 01:53:51 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  12:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another incredible build, Karl! The level of detailing is 'just right.' (And I'm jealous of your soda bottles - great coloring. What did you use to get those results?)

BTW: I probably wouldn't be running that fast around a pier or dock.... the water cops would snag me for sure with a big, fat ticket for leaving a wake in a "No Wake" zone.

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  7:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, a certain little boy had a huge grin on his face when I showed him this thread after school. He had a bad day, so this was a very welcome distraction.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much indeed Mike, I really appreciate it, I will try and find the paint I used for the bottles after work tomorrow and post the info for you then.

I realise you probably wouldnt be going so fast but having you just put-puting past the wharf wouldnt have looked as interesting (to me anyway). Besides I needed the oportunity to test out one of my trials on modeling the spray/wake behind you, I think it looks quite plausible in the photos esp with the ski in 'mid wavehop'. (the first shot on the previous page is still my favoruite, both of the PWC and of the water.)

You will need to send me a pic of the new seado when you get it so I can upgrade 'mini-Mike' to the better model of PWC

I'm glad it cheered him up Simon, he can follow the build thread shortly.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/08/2009 12:35:07 AM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Wonderful work on the details. Adds all the flavor.
Peter

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  02:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Peter, hopefully a 'salty' flavor...

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  04:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

your soda bottles - great coloring. What did you use to get those results

Mike, the bottles were painted with a craft paint... Palmer Acrylic - Summer Green - 174603... its in one of those 2oz bottles like applebarrel or ceramcote but, I'm not sure where I got it , sorry.

The crate was painted with AppleBarrel 'country tan' and washed with strong A&I.

The caps were either rustolium - aluminium or Ceramcote Gleams - Metalic Silver.

Sorry for the vagueness on some points but I painted these and several of other details right after CSS07 as a first attempt after sitting at the desk with Brian Nolan, I just havent used some of them until now.

Prior to placement I dusted the crate with a charcoal coloured chalk lightly and once glued into the shelves I gave the entire shelf details a dust with the same charcoal chalk to dull everything down and blend all the separately applied details into the shelf unit.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/19/2009 04:04:47 AM

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000