Railroad Line Forums - Hook, Line & Sinker.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 13 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Hook, Line & Sinker.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?
Page: of 11

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on the stone faces and walls, Karl.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much to all of you for the kind remarks and responses, great motivation and much appreciated.

The stone walls were textured using another technique that I got from MikeC.

Once the walls were out of the mold a made up a small batch of 'soupy' plaster.

This was then stippled on using a 1" paint brush.

This takes a little time as I needed to make several small batches as the plaster has an optimum consistancy for adhesion and texture.

The plaster doesnt stay at this consistency very long so you need to move quickly. However it is a very simple method and gives a great result that I like for this application.

The stones were then carved with a metal straight edge using the back of my exacto knife tip. 18"x24" blocks.

I havent painted any rocks for several years and it wasnt looking too hot when I got started earlier this morning.

I percevered despite being a little tired and things came around better after this shot.

Time for some strong coffee and then I'll post the current pics

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 12:30:48 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 12:32:58 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

I guess there is nothing else to do but details & water.

I guess I need to clean up this mess first though........

Until later...
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 12:28:06 PM

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the note on the plaster technique. Funny how Mike seems to be at the root of so many ideas!

I have to say Karl, that these stunningly fast scratch builds are truly inspirational.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Simon, yes I have learnt alot from Mike over the past few years, always willing to help out and pass on a technique that he has come up with himself or picked up along the way. Thank you also for the compliment.. its nice to know.

Much better, I knew there was a desk under there somewhere......

Time to get some fresh air and play with the pup, I suppose I had better also get some of the leaves up off of the back yard, the house is starting to look abandoned......

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 3:47:55 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  4:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really a very nice scene, Karl. I'm eager to see how the water will turn out.
The plaster work is really excellent. I'm a bit more reluctant about your pine tree. I'm sure a modeller with your talent could make a better tree.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

It's really a very nice scene, Karl. I'm eager to see how the water will turn out.
The plaster work is really excellent.

Thank you very much Frederic , the water is almost dry/clear, I think it will be fine for this temporary diorama after a little more work and drybrushing, besides most of it will be covered over by the wharf and the boat.

quote:
I'm a bit more reluctant about your pine tree. I'm sure a modeller with your talent could make a better tree.

That hurts Frederic, I used to be so proud of that tree, it was my finest effort after slaving away on it for almost a complete five minutes That was two or three years ago though. You are right of course I'm sure I can do better now when I get into the tree making mood, we will see in the future, for now thought that one can stay as a 'place holder'.

Thanks for the input, as always welcomed.

Regards
Karl.

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 5:49:33 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Slow down .. I'm having a hard time of keeping up with your lightning pace. Thanks for the explanation of Mike C's technique - can't wait to to it.
Beautiful work on the water. It's beginning to look as if Envirotex has seen it's day, except for ponds and still water lakes. Now most important of all, how long did it take you to clean up?
Peter

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  6:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I love this water, the translucent texture, even in the very close-up, looks excellent.
Sorry for the tree. I wouldn't even dare showing my first tree, and yet I felt very happy too just after making it. Yours is much better than mine, yet you can do even better...

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  7:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, wow I think I have whiplash from watching this build.
Do you have a bunch of elves helping you at night?
I use to think I could build pretty fast when I needed too.
But you my friend make me feel like I am a........ snail.
And the thing that really amazes me the quality does not suffer one bit.
Thanks for sharing your work!

Greg Shinnie

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  8:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Peter Frederic and Greg,

quote:

Karl, I love this water, the translucent texture, even in the very close-up, looks excellent.

This chap seems to like it too Frederic...

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/06/2009 8:27:53 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  8:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway.... enough of the messing about, back to the serious business of modeling .

I think the water turned out fine Frederic, it hasnt had any drybrushing or a gloss coat yet, and I'm probably not going to bother doing anything else with it, for now at least.

Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  8:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was that Mike C?
Peter

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Now most important of all, how long did it take you to clean up?
Peter

It took alot longer than it did to mess it up again, but, oh well, there is a positive side to it......

The positive being that I finished scratching and making all the details to go in the storage shed.....

It doesnt look like that many now in the pictures.... but it filled it in nicely, and not a commercial part in sight.... also I was working on the details for the other side of the wharf, it sure takes alot longer than a kit where you get a nice box of stuff and a picture telling you where to put it......

Anyways, enough whining.... onwards, to the coffee pot.... or maybe another beer as it is getting late for coffee.

Regards
Karl.A

Sorry Peter, I almost forgot to answer you, you can see the figure and jet-ski being made on pages 5&6 of this thread here....
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19925&whichpage=5
and also the ensuing conversation.

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000