Railroad Line Forums - Hook, Line & Sinker.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Hook, Line & Sinker.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?
Page: of 11

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Outstanding. Weathering and detailing compliment each other perfectly. One heck of a job.
Peter

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous build and fast too. The details are spot on plus I really like that dog.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  02:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great comments Peter and Tim, much appreciated.

I really should get the barnacles added and maybe some seaweed so that I can call it truely finished, maybe when I have my scenery stuff out tomorrow I'll remember to do it.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I decided that due to the fact that I have incredible amounts of free time and money right now (so far from the truth its sorrowful) that I would go through my shelves and do that last 5% needed on several structures to finish them off.

There are a couple of reasons for this....

a) It really bugs me everytime I look at them on the shelf next to me and think ... "I really should just do ....'xyz' "

3) Most of them will only take an hour or two as I've already worked out the 'solution' to what ever it was that stopped me in the first place.

So, several of my old threads/builds may be crawling back out of the woodwork to be finished (or fixed) in the next week or four.

First up on the list is this one.......

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/24/2010 4:50:16 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The reason the last 5% never got done on this one is that after installing the structure on the deck, and then the deck into the pre-drilled (exactly measured) holes in the base...... the front end of the deck supports didn't sit flush or squarely on the sea wall, this was a big disapointment and I stuck the thing on the shelf due to loss of morale and imputess with it.

However, solutions abound.... I cut the holes in the base bigger to allow me to reposition the piles correctly.

I then painted the inside of the oversized holes with 'Hippo Grey' and filled them with clear LATEX caulk

After inserting the structure and correctly aligning it with the sea wall I then added more caulk with a paintbrush to fill in any voids.

Next up will be the tiny amount of scenery required around the front of the structure and the steps into the sales office.

Then it will be finished.

Strange how the process flows sometimes.... 2 days to build it and then 9 months (or so) to finally get around to that 'last little bit'....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/24/2010 4:53:17 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great "recovery" there, Karl! And you'll get the look of some flow/tide around each piling with the little bit of caulk that oozes out of the hole.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, are you saying that you could have drilled the holes oversize in the beginning and filled them with calk when you planted the piling, saving the aggravation of trying to drill precise holes? Seems like a simpler way to do the task.

George

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  8:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That stone work is great!

Pilings....just be glad there aren't to many like Troels

Philip

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on finally getting motivated to finish it. I've had the same problem on various projects, getting stuck at a certain point and then losing interest for weeks or months.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great save Karl and as they say where there's a will there's a way.

Just have to find the will before you find the way.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your interest and continued support in finishing this old build, after an 18hr work day, no progress tonight, just a coffee and perusing the threads, hopefully tomorrow I'll find the required 1hr to finish up.

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Karl, are you saying that you could have drilled the holes oversize in the beginning and filled them with calk when you planted the piling, saving the aggravation of trying to drill precise holes? Seems like a simpler way to do the task.

George

Hind sight is a wonderful thing George, however, I had originally built it withthe Idea that the structure and wharf would be removeable from the temporary diorama. Sometimes I overthink and overcomplicate things with 'future plans' and 'adaptability' in mind, thus causing myself more problems and stalling blocks that are really necessary. I should have just cut them to length to sit ON the water, that would have been so much easier. Live and learn.

Thanks again for all the replies/comments, very appreciated
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/25/2010 11:00:22 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had tried the technique of tight drilling for posts on Dave's Corner and it finally required some fitting. I should have done like you Karl. In particular since, as Dave mentionned, these little oozes of caulk provide some very interesting wavelets near the posts.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  7:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Karl. It's such a nice build it would be a shame not to finish it.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies Frederic and Chester,

The caulk sank a bit as it was drying so some 'top-up' will be required, I'll do that next 'session'.

After starting work at 7am yesterday and finishing at 2:30am the only thing I felt like doing was some basic scenery.

I removed the bollards as per Troels sugestion, thus leaving blobs of glue on the deck.

This glue residue was removed with some acetone on a paintbrush to soften it and then scraped off with a chisel type exacto blade. The resulting bare wood was then blended back into the rest of the deck with chalks.

I then laid down some basic ground texture and started hunting down and playing with some scenery.

As you can see in this shot the front joist of the deck now sits nicely along the sea wall after the adjustments.

Then I went to bed !

Maybe more later but today is going to be another long day/late finish.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/27/2010 10:44:36 AM

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great work there,,,,

Cheers!, Joe

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: coal house Topic Next Topic: Is real siding 80 feet long?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000