Railroad Line Forums - Entry Level Camera
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Entry Level Camera
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 09 The Auto Show - Part 2 Topic Next Topic: Trains and ruins in Peru  

GJBrewer
New Hire

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  9:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the Group

I have been building rolling stock and some other group members have asked for pictures. We have a Cannon SD750 for general use. Its a good camera but I can't make extreme close-ups without blurring.

1. Is there a FAQ for this Forum? And how do I get to it.

2. Should I get a new lenses for my existing camera?

3. Is there such a thing as a close up camera that just takes close ups?

4. Money IS AN OBJECT. If this is going to be as expensive as building my cars and layout then it most likely won't happen. I want to do R&R not become a photographer. I'm looking for entry level and make a few close ups, if that's not possible for a reasonable number then I will have to do without.

Thanks

Gary Brewer
Camera challenged

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, first of all welcome to the forum.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. There is no FAQ for this forum. There have been a number of questions similar to yours in the past.
You can use the forum search feature and use the key word "macro" and limit your search to the photography forum only.
This should retrieve a number of threads for you to read.

2. Your camera is a point and shoot and as far as I know you can not get other lenses for it.

3. Maybe, but I'm not aware of one. If there were one I don't think it would be cheap.
You're camera has a macro feature. More on that later.

4. I don't think you'll need a new camera. I have a feeling yours will work for what you want to do.

Now, a few questions for you. You say you want to take extreme close-ups.

1. Do you want to be able to take a very close -up picture of say just the coupler? Or, are you looking to take a picture of one car that fills the entire frame?

2. Can you post a picture that you have taken so we can see what the problem is?

3. Have you read the owners manual?
The reason I ask this is because your camera has a macro feature built into it.
In the wide angle mode you can get as close as 1.2" to the subject.
In telephoto mode you can get as close as 1". That's pretty close.

One other thing to keep in mind. And that is depth of field (DOF).
When you are taking a picture of something close up and you have the aperture set at its largest (fastest) setting, DOF drops off pretty quickly.
Meaning that things closet to the camera will be in focus and as you move further from the lens things become out of focus (blurry).
If you set the aperture to its smallest setting (slowest) DOF increases.

I think that's enough to start with.
If you have any questions please ask.

Others will be along to add to the discussion.

Here's the link to the owners manual for digital macro; http://www.retrevo.com/r/2580ag719/19/Magnified+Close-Up+Shooting+%28Digital+Macro%29#q=Canon+SD750

Edited by - Rick on 11/28/2009 10:12:14 PM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out my website for digital model railroad photography in my signature below for some help.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gary:

Look at Bob Boudeau's site http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

He has lots of help there. He has tips on taking photos of rr subjects.
He is an excellent photographer who has always helped beginners..

I am sure you will be able to get decent photos with your camera.

Good luck!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, there is a FAQ section, although it does not address any of the questions about which you are asking. The FAQ's can be accessed by clicking on the link in the upper right side of your screen - usually under or near your username/login info in the upper right corner. If you're asking about information about posting photos, here are the links to 3 tutorials you might find useful:
How to post photos:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

How to resize photos for posting:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383

How to post photos with Firefox/Mozilla browsers:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18629

If you're shooting in macro mode or in low light situations (the camera is less tolerant of low light than your eyes are), you need to use a tripod. Adequate tripods can be purchased from online sources in a variety of price ranges. The tripod I use is far from the best available - I paid about $70 for it - but it keeps the camera stable for the long exposures typically required when shooting models or layouts.

I'm not familiar with the Canon SD750, so I can't advise you about a new lens for it.

I think most 'point and shoot' digitals have a macro setting for closeup photography. It's usually designated by a little 'flower' icon or something similar. Virtually all digital SLR's (made by Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.) come with a 'kit lens' that will take very acceptable close-ups - and all have actual macro lenses available. However, those are probably more expensive than what you're wanting right now.

I'm sure others will have more expansive answers than what I've provided here in this brief overview.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see you already got several answers while I was typing my reply. That's good - they have already filled in some of the 'missing' info that I did not/could not address.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Gary, there is a FAQ section, although it does not address any of the questions about which you are asking.

I answered the way I did because there isn't one for the photography forum and like you said Mike, the genaral purpose FAQ doesn't address the question of taking macro pictures.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  11:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I think you gave him some very useful info. Like I always tell people, read the D___ manual, not once but several times. It almost always has the info they need to thier questions.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  05:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys
Some excellent advice and definitely check out Bob's site.
Peter

GJBrewer
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick & Group

What a concept, Read the Manual!

Once I found the manual (no easy trick), I found out I was one click away from my hearts desire.

I know there is a world of details & techniques about photography to learn. But for now I can get close-ups (see attached) that are not fuzzy. I'm a happy camper.

I really appreciate all the great responses. I should have posted this question 2 months ago when the specter of fuzzy pictures first appeared.

Now that I can get close-ups I'll go to the references on improving my techniques and start to learn those things that were unimportant until I could get clear pictures.

Thanks so much,

Gary

Ok, more to learn.
I tried the "Insert a File" button, it goes to my .jpgs, I select one, it tries and then "Internal server error".
WAIT, I'll bet there is a manual for loading pictures to the Forum. I really should be more tolerant of all this, I am a programmer, but navigating in these Forums is totally different than pulling data from a SQL Server DB, sigh!

Can someone Jump Start me on posting pictures.
I notice that in all the responses most refere to pictures posted to the Forum elsewhere. Is that my failing? Help, I promise to learn and not bother everyone.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, congratulations on conquering close ups.

Two of the most reasons for problems encountered in uploading pictures is file size and naming convention.

Make sure your picture is no bigger than 800 pixels on its longest size. Also make suer when you save it you save it at an average resolution.

The name of the picture can only contain letters and numbers. Use anything else within the name and it won't work.

MikeC posted three links that answer most questions and should help you more. If they don't let us know.

GJBrewer
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Test Flight II

Download Attachment: IMG33311.JPG
117.51 KB

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GJBrewer

Test Flight II

Nice.

GJBrewer
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  1:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick

You created a monster.
I'll bore you just this once and then keep pix posting to a minimum.

Three scales are reprensented; HOn30 (mostly stuff w/a penny, HO (the fire truck), and On30 (Water/oil/??? car, Bobber, and stock car shot by someone else).

Gary

Download Attachment: IMG_3330.JPG
127.64 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3342.JPG
112.53 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3340.JPG
100.44 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3342.JPG
112.53 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3343.JPG
88.23 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3344.JPG
81.09 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3347.JPG
96.75 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3349.JPG
97.49 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3350.JPG
96.87 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3351.JPG
100.72 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3352.JPG
89.6 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3353.JPG
96.41 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3354.JPG
101.01 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3355.JPG
96.58 KB

Download Attachment: IMG3357.JPG
96.57 KB

Download Attachment: StockCar.jpg
48.72 KB

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  6:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, that's a very nice collection of scales and cars.
Don't ever worry about posting too many pictures.
We love looking at pictures..

Previous Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 09 The Auto Show - Part 2 Topic Next Topic: Trains and ruins in Peru  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000