Railroad Line Forums - Building the BTM Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building the BTM Railroad
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A-frame Gallows Turntable Topic Next Topic: Koonunga Junction
Page: of 2

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what happens when your a Model Railroader and a Castmember at the same time? why, you start modeling Disney railroads as they where real of course, And that is just what I am doing now. I am choosing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as a "theme" to loosely base my layout on. this will allow me to model with out the pain of "reality", essentially I am doing it to have fun.

here is some pictures of the Attraction itself. all of these pictures are some what going to show up in my layout.

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  07:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout measures 2.5'X3'. There are going to be three levels that are all connected. The bottom level is were the Ore gets loaded into large Gondolas or Hoppers. the second level is were the main Mine complex is located and is going to be the most complicated to build. the third level is not really defined but it will probably be were the Ore gets loaded into small cars. I am going for an extremely light and portable layout so all three layers will be able to separate.

Here is my Original Concept art for the layout

Here is the track plan
1st level

2nd level

3rd level

this is the current state of the layout. The foam is not glued down to the sheet of plywood.

This is my current fleet of rolling stock that was deemed okay for the Railroad. Almost all of my rolling stock is H0 and needs to be re-sized for 0n30.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read of a few model rr's that have modeled Disneyland as a whole, but none that have focused on a single attraction.

This should be fun to watch

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  10:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I have always liked that attraction, josh it will be great to see it made into a railroad. .keep it upp

Mark

W,L,&E

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  3:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleaned up the layout and actually started to do something. these photos show how I put my layout together. sorry for the poor quality pictures as I don't have my normal camera on me.

this is what supports the layout. it is just a sheet of plywood with 2x4 attached to the ends to make sure it wont tip over.

this is the layout itself, I used a stiff foam board (or a presentation board) to glue the foam on. I am trying to keep this as light as possible.

put it all together.

I printed out the track plan to give me a good idea as to what goes where.

now I am just waiting on my wood ties to get here. does anyone know the best why to make accurate grades?

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  3:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Josh!

Another reference you might enjoy for some crazy compact scenery:
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_lane_stewart.html

I used to have the pleasure of living close to Caboose Hobbies, and stopped to admire this cool & crazy little layout almost every time!

The photos don't do it justice, so I'm gonna have to charter a train trip to Caboose Hobbies so all can have a good look ... all aboard!

Hmm ... no train conductor smiley ... but it is close to Halloween, so:

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  5:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your project is really interesting, Josh, and somewhat unusual, it's not bad.
Dallas, I've been a long time admirer of Lane Stewart's fantastic On3 diorama. This is one of the reasons why I consider him to be one of the geniuses of model railroading.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Josh
What a unique concept. Looking forward to following along.
Peter

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh This is a great idea. I rode the one in DisneyWorld so many times in a row I got sick. I hope you continue to post your progress, with lots of. Roland

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  8:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ment to say lots of photos Roland

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  04:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright time for a weekend update.
not much has happened but I have been getting some material for the layout. I am starting to put in the grades on the layout, right now they are only temporary to get the feel of how the locomotives run. at the moment the porters slips a little bit if the cars are loaded but its fine going empty.

here is the start of the 4% grade. you will notice I marked the tunnel with a piece of scrap wood.

here is the other end of the grade. the last 4ft is a 6% grade.

I also did a hight mock up of my bridge with scrap pieces of wood.

the scrap pieces of wood are from an old building I once made some years ago and I will not be painting the actual bridge. I will be (hopefully) dieing the bridge with India ink instead.

Edited by - marr5 on 11/01/2009 04:48:19 AM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  09:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May want to make some 1.5" to 2" pieces of foam core to glue on edge to the bottom of the flat foam core as framing. Will stiffen it up considerably. As your lowest EPS slab is in two pieces it might flex at the joint. Ultimately scenery will help stiffen the layout too but no sense being disappointed the first time you pick it up.

Looks like a fun project.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh, thanks for the progress pictures. Keep the pictures coming.

As you think, so will you be.

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  8:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Uffelman

May want to make some 1.5" to 2" pieces of foam core to glue on edge to the bottom of the flat foam core as framing. Will stiffen it up considerably. As your lowest EPS slab is in two pieces it might flex at the joint. Ultimately scenery will help stiffen the layout too but no sense being disappointed the first time you pick it up.

Looks like a fun project.

at the moment it is pretty stiff, the Presentation board acts like a frame of sorts. there is also going to be another layer of 2" foam in the center, so that should also keep it sturdy. I am trying a lot of new methods for my layout. having it be frame-less is just one of those methods I am trying. I am expecting some failures along the way but that's how I learn.

marr5
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  03:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay small update, BTM is still here but its just been going REALLY slow since I am in College and apparently I am busy in December too.

well any way the layout itself hasn't been touched all that much but it has found a more secure location in my house.

and I have taken apart my porter for painting and some small changes to the cab and running boards.

After Christmas I should have more to update about.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  08:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh,

Look forward to the update, hope finals went well.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: A-frame Gallows Turntable Topic Next Topic: Koonunga Junction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000