Railroad Line Forums - S. Pettit inspired engine house scratch build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: mrhollman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 S. Pettit inspired engine house scratch build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: 0-6-0 Porter; all brass Topic Next Topic: backwoods goose
Page: of 100

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  4:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage
Steve Pettit's engine house has always been one of my favorites as it is blended nicely into the scenery and because it is open enough to allow the viewer to see the inside of it.

The work on the engine house is superb as well.

I'm very happy that Mario has provided so many good quality photos of Steve's work and so many other outstanding modelers as well.

Mario is a fine addition to the hobby and someone I consider a close friend.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  5:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Let me repeat what I said on the other thread about the great qualities of your engine house, Roland. I suppose Rick would have nothing against you elaborating a little more about the making of some of the less usual details featured in the above pics.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  5:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message

[

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Edited by - CieloVistaRy on 10/23/2009 5:19:57 PM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
Roland,

You do such great work! I see that you have built the same water tower I did and have done a better job!

I hope to see more and more of your stuff!

And your answers are never too long. Please do share more!

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of enclosing your uploads in HTML tags ([IMG] and [/IMG} so that people can see the great work you do without having to open each file individually.

Arthur

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Arthur, Thanks for adjusting the photos for me. I have been trying for long time to figure out how people like Petitt and Doane are able to achieve perfection, and still have no idea. I am a detail freak. The newspaper on the workbench is reporting on the sinking of the Titanic, which fits my time period. No one but me will ever know but I don't care. There will be many more details added. I have a wheel boring machine and McCabe lathe to build yet. One photo shows a workbench I still need to put on legs so I can pile more junk under it. One thing I haven't figured out yet is the roof. I.m not crazy about the randon board lengths and may go with Paper Creek tarpaper with their shingles for the machine shop. A lot of the details are left over from HO FSM kits from a previous life. The O scale barrels are from Titchy Group. They look just like the Grantlines but are 1 piece with a separate lid and come 15 in a pack for $10. Mostly it's just careful painting and weathering until it looks right to me. Only then do I add it to the building. Many years ago when I was in ship modeling someone said "Do the simple things as perfect as you can" Roland

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  7:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Roland. I love your detailing and I am sure this will give Rick some ideas ( including many of us )

This should be another interesting topic..

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  7:17:40 PM  Show Profile
I hope more people try this one. The basic building is a simple scratchbuild. I would love to see what others can do with it. Roland

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeless

I have been trying for long time to figure out how people like Petitt and Doane are able to achieve perfection, and still have no idea. I am a detail freak.

Model making , building structures, doing scenery work, etc will always be unique to a particular person.

I spent many years travelling to Sydney and staying with Geoff Nott. I filmed and photographed his work, then I would spend countless hours / weeks trying to imitate his work... I came close, but never the same. But it did make me a better scenery modeler..
I actually like many of the excellent details by Roland and will probably copy them..

For the past few months I have given myself therapy by building small detailed shelves in various scales. I reccomend to anyone to have a go at this. It took me a while to learn the short cuts, but it's very rewarding in the end product. I am not going to make any moulds of this , so they will be unique to any dioramas / structures I do...

Most of the shelves are 1:48, 1:32 & 1:24 scale... and many of the parts are HO scale...
Some details are yet to be painted.

I think Rick has opened a can of worms with this thread, which can cover many topics...

cheers...

Download Attachment: Mario Casting DSCF1423.jpg
62.78 KB

Download Attachment: Mario Casting DSCF1425.jpg
58.9 KB

Download Attachment: Russell Mining Shaft01.jpg
71.75 KB

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  7:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Roland, I'm very happy that you added your pictures. Excellent modeling and a good eye for detailing. I'll have to keep an eye out for those Tichy barrels, seems like a good deal.

As for the roof, I like the looks of Steve's and have never done one like it, so i think I will do it that way. I even like the barrels on the roof.

Mario, very nice job on the shelves. We must be on the same wavelength. I posted earlier that I'd probably get some castings from Brett, and then today I was thinking, why not build my own shelves. Looks like Roland has done the same.
Also, it looks like you've started staining the mine shaft.

I spent a good part of the afternoon drawing plans. I have the footprint and the long wall done. I'll start the front wall shortly. That leaves me the back wall and the rafters. I just might have them all done by tomorrow.

Once again, I encourage anyone else building this model or anything similar to it, please feel free to join in.

"I think Rick has opened a can of worms with this thread, which can cover many topics..." Mario, that sounds good to me.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  7:56:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NVNGRR

Another source for LED's that I have know of is www.theledlight.com. The smallest I can find on this site is 3mm. But the prices are not bad. Scroll down to number 17.

Kevin, that's a great find. Thanks for the link.

Edited by - Rick on 10/23/2009 7:56:29 PM

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Mario, Great shelving details. Its what will set your model apart from others. Roland

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile
You guys are all doing some great model work, very nice Roland. Jerry

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  9:43:43 PM  Show Profile
This thread is giving me the itch to build, maybe it's time for that car repair shop. Maybe semi open with a overhead crane?

Mark

W,L,&E

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  10:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rick,
I'm so glad you deceided to take the plunge. It is going to be a real joy watch your progress. This engine house seems to have struck a responsive chord with many of us here. If I wasn't already tied up with another project I'd jump in and build one myself. I'll be following this build for sure.

Michael

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  12:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Great project Rick Can't wait to see your progress on this one. Steve did a wonderful job on his. Love all the details.

Speaking of details, Roland

And Mario. Your shelves are outstanding. Great therapy!

In memory of Mike Chambers

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: 0-6-0 Porter; all brass Topic Next Topic: backwoods goose  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.82 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000