Railroad Line Forums - Sound suggestion for Bachmann Railbus
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: AllanJSmith ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Sound suggestion for Bachmann Railbus
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 40 watt chinese laser cutter on ebay Topic Next Topic: Original Antonito station
Page: of 2

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At some point in the past I fried my Railbus's decoder. would like to replace with a sound unit. Like loksound and I have access to a programmer, but would like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  1:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John -

I have a TSU-750 Goose in mine and I know a couple guys with LokSound Goose's in theirs. For the available space, the TSU runs hot. I needed to add a heatsink and more airflow around the decoder. On the LokSounds that I've seen, the marker lights seem to go through a bright-dim cycle as you run the loco.

If you still have the factory decoder, I suggest saving the plug. It has resistors for the LED lights on it.

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  1:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I Have not torn it apart yet so I have everything. I have a couple loksound geese decoders, but they are too big to fit. Had thought about either the TSU or a Loksound 3.5. I suppose the goose sound would work good for the railbus. I have heard that PBL? had another great goose sound, don't know where I would find that though.

Just another iron in the fire, but want to get it running again for my christmas display in the house.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  1:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
John
I did the 750 for mine, built a heatsink and vented the roof. What LOK doesn't have is the variety of horns..ie augha..augha. Double check the speaker size..I believe you will need 3/4 I also installed the stay alive and dropped it down the hole in the roof for cooling too. I have done bachmann railtrucks with the 750 best sound..I have done LOK too...the Tsunami is still best.

Les

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  4:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, looks like I will go with the TSU, will the 1000 fit? I imagine the 750 is fine. Do the 1000's run any cooler than the 750's?

Best speaker?

thx
Joh

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think you have to use LOK speakers with their chips

dont hold me to it, i dont do DCC or sound :P

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  4:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John -

The TSU750 is the best size choice. The TSU1000 is too big for the available space under the roof. The 1000's do seem to run a bit cooler but space is an issue. The microLok's fit nicely also.

As to the speaker, I think Les is right on the size at 3/4". It needs to be thin, so the high bass options are out if you place it under the roof where the speaker grill is.

MMaD
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  5:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i think you have to use LOK speakers with their chips

yes it's best to check if a speaker isnt provided.
The V3.5 8 pin plug needs 100Ohm speaker.

If you can find 21 pin decoder in the states which I doupt, this also used 100 Ohm speaker.

The normal V3.5 decoder uses a 32 Ohm speaker.
BTW our friends at Soundtraxx use 8 Ohm.

So as always it's best to read the spec sheet.
The main advantage of the Lok sound is the programmer and the ability to change sounds (once you have mastered the lok sound programmer).If you want your Rail bus sounding like a clapped out climax this could be the opportunity, you've been waiting for ! Better still program a friends rail bus and make him happy !
Rich

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
John,
I posted these someplace here..but since I can't find them..here is a view of the railbus...

The new vented roof...

I hope this helps...Les

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  12:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,

Thank you for the pics, it does help. It also makes me want to ask, Why can I just remove the original pc board and just use the decoder? that would give me a lot more room and more air space for decoader cooling.

Thanks again for the info

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  02:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John -

That PC board is also your mounting for the marker lights at the corners. They are soldered to the board and the board holds them in place.

The real issue with the TSU is getting the heat away from the TSU. My belief is that the small volume of airspace the board takes up won't change things much. For me, the faster solution was a heat sink and more airflow.

My heat sink is from brass channel. Copper would have been better but the brass was handy. For airflow, I made new square vents for the pair nearest the decoder. They are mini air scoops with a size very similar to the originals. Painted and in place, they preserve the original look of the roof.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
John,
The other John is right, you need that board, and the small amound of space that separates the 750 is way to small. The heat sink is very important, I used brass too, I made mine the same size as the decoder, opend of the ceiling of the railbus and fit the heat sink below and decoder between the ceiling and roof. I made vents too as you saw, when painted it blended in and looks good.

So some might ask why doesn't the OEM speed control overheat, not as much electronics on the board. The sound decoder overheats due to the amp thats there, and we all try to over drive the amp, there was a second setting that helped but I don't remember. Any way I changed all the settings working back and forth with Tsunami engineer, till I got more time running, but still failed eventually. Hence the heatsink and vents.

Les

rarwy
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  9:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually the Bachmann railbus is designed for a 16mm speaker (available from Tony's Train Exchange/QSI).

Smaller speaker fits inside the "well" of the railbus' ceiling - in theory making it easier to separate the front and back sides. visman48 and kewlbrew, have you had any problems with the air gap between the ceiling and PC board?

Would prefer to use the larger speaker, but assumed a smaller speaker, well sealed, would give better results. Would welcome your opinion.

In the meantime, I'll post some pics of the install on the "School Bus" this weekend.

Mike

Edited by - rarwy on 11/11/2009 9:45:48 PM

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  10:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mike,
As you saw the earlier posts of mine with pics. I used the 3/4 inch speaker, with the 750 and cap. I too made a heat sink and opened up the roof for venting. The Tsunamis have reverb and equalizers and they generate more heat that way. If I had a second bus or did another Railtruck install I would still use the 750 because I like the variance in horns..I use the ugah horn on mine, and I have use the reverb and it really sounds good. I do have goose sounds in 4 other installs, but you get one horn and one horn only unless you want to do a new sound install. I too have the LOK editor, but still prefer the 750.

The space in the roof is very tight, with little air movement.

Les

rarwy
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  10:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Les. Yeah, I have a 750 wired in as well.

Was really curious how successfull other folks had been in using the space underneath the roof as their speaker enclosure. Awful lot of "holes" in the ceiling for air to leak between the front and back of the speaker.

Hear you loud and clear on the heatsink. Have not run mine extensivly yet with the new decoder, but I will heed your advice.

Agree with you on the Loks. The ESU's may be more flexible in loading sounds, but te TSU's sound soooo much better.

Again, appreciate the input.

Mike

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I get enough sound out of mine for at home use. In show settings (where I often run), nothing can compete with the background noise.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 40 watt chinese laser cutter on ebay Topic Next Topic: Original Antonito station  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000