Railroad Line Forums - Never Done and Always Changing On30 Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: prrfan59 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Never Done and Always Changing On30 Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New On30 Bachmann Heisler! Topic Next Topic: Older 2-8-0 Consolidation C-16s
Page: of 77

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  01:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After stepping back for a day I was able to take my time make the other pieces of track I had left work for my purposes. I plan to add some scenery on Sunday. I will post new pictures when I get the next layer on. Scott

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although not finished installing the base scenery and ballasting the track, I did not want to loose the great light in the late morning. The pictures show the track pinned temporally in place and some of the newest foam rock work. In order to get smooth transitions between the rail joints I let the track flow where it wanted. This means I will need to "blast away" some of the foam rocks to get clearance. In a few inside spots I will need to cut back the slope, allowing for a retaining wall or two - lemonade from lemons! I also plan on building some sort of rickety metal or wood bridge to span my little canyon opening - the more precarious and rusted the better. Scott

Tommatthews
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  1:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott .... using daylight the shadows are great. Nice photos.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  2:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice photography Scott!

Mike

morganhillmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  8:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit morganhillmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice coloring on the rock work Scott.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  04:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wonderful, i dint think anybody could guess what the rocks are made of :D

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  4:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick update on my desert wedding cake micro-layout progress. I started "rocking" in the scenery, added the Saguaro cacti and some desert shrubs (more to come). I also started laying out some of the details, including the start of the coral. I found some dried root material with a very gnarled wood like texture to represent material the miners might have picked up of the desert floor (downed Saguaro cacti ribs and mesquite trees, etc.) I also decided that there was not enough "drama" on one side of the scene so I am adding a precarious "foam" rock ledge over the track (shown before painting). While making this little ledge I managed to drizzle hot glue on my fingers - not a fun thing - I should have worn rubber gloves. Live and learn. Scott

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  9:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Feel a bit parched after looking at these great pix.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  10:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it!

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining

teaspoon
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is looking great. I keep expecting to see Wile E coyote and Roadrunner come around the corner. Very cool.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  02:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, your scene reminds me of Lane Stewart's very creative dioramas that were featured in the gazette in the 1990s. This is a compliment.

Frederic Testard

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  10:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In keeping with its name sake, the Never Done and Always Changing is changing again! While wondering where I would channel my modeling ideas, it hit me - could I use the space below the layout for another layout? The answer, YES! I am reclaiming area below the existing layout to create a logging line that is located on an island (I could not come up with a good way to go from 50" to 26" with out some major work - hence the island concept). As the pictures illustrate there is a lot of useable space where I can create individual scenes connected by some hidden track - the illusion of distance! My intent is to model a logging enterprise from a loading area in the woods, through a camp area, and back to a log dump / service facility/town at the island's port where the logs would be rafted for the trip over to the sawmill on the mainland. I intend to create shadow boxes that would be viewed from standing or seated. I've cleared the area, prepared a quick concept, and assembled some basic bench work materials to get this enterprise rolling. Oh yeah, I still need to finish the wedding cake micro layout also. I'm having some fun now!

the concept

the log dump area

the camp area

the loading area

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  10:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow.. very ambitious. Looking at the legs holding up your current layout (and assuming it is not attached to the wall in any way) you may want to consider raising the first level another foot or two, if possible. Then the lower level addition wouldn't be so low?

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  12:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott, here are a few pics I took a few years ago of a corral in central Arizona similar to what you have described. It uses tree branches, railroad ties and wire:

I haven't seen cactus skeletons used for corrals, perhaps because they are brittle and generally pretty rotten when they are free from the cactus they once supported. Ranchers (and miners too, I guess) don't like mending fences unless they really have to. Cactus skeletons are commonly used for ramada roofing to provide shade, because they aren't load bearing in that use. Just my observations...

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  05:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
scott, the mini layout is looking great, i love the over hanging rock!

and the plans for the new lower deck layout looks promissing :D

Page: of 77 Previous Topic: New On30 Bachmann Heisler! Topic Next Topic: Older 2-8-0 Consolidation C-16s  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000