Railroad Line Forums - The SP&S in Indiana
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 256 ]  [ Total: 258 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The SP&S in Indiana
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: WATER Topic Next Topic: Logging line reno
Page: of 11

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  3:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John you did a great job on finishing the basement and the layout is really coming along nicely!

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  7:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments guys. I welcome any comments on what I've done or re-done

At this point in time, I've filled in the largest waterway on the layout. I just couldn't make a resonable looking double track curved bridge. Plus it took up a lot of space. You can see part of the covered in area in the left corner of the shot

I thought what I really needed was an area a Walthers Pier and Traveling Crane. I also want to utilize one of the Lindburg Tugboats that I bought several years ago. I glued the hull together of the tugboat (Lindberg Coast Guard tugboat) and cut the bottom off making it a waterline boat. You can see the top of the Walthers Pier in the shot. I was going to connect the waterway on the right-hand side to the area in the middle and have the short trestle support the track.

Here you can see another shot of the proposed pier area.

This doesn't look right either. I've got a huge waterway in the middle of my layout with no visible means for the tugboat to enter or exit.

Frustrated with the looks of things, I cover over the waterway on the right and the waterway that I was going to place the Sierra West kits. At this point in time, no streams or lakes on the layout. The three foam water cutouts are filled with foam and plaster.

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 10/13/2009 7:28:28 PM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  7:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've given up on waterways and have came back to the mountain area. In this shot I've continued the single track around the mountain into the mountain business section. Still without a trestle at this time. You can see the business area in the distance being glued in place with a dumbell on top of it.

Looking on ebay one day; I came across a seller that had homemade trestles for sale. He had a curved tall single track trestle for sale that looked like it would fit right into place. This area has been untouched for about a year now. So I have to move on. I bought it and it looked pretty good when I got it in the mail

Heres another shot of the curved trestle that I bought on ebay.

I've added plywood mountain forms into the mountain area. These with help support the future cardboard mountain range. This area is at least 6x6 feet.

I've sat the ebay trestle in place between the track. It is almost like this trestle was custom made for my layout. It fit the curve radius almost to a tee.

I've added a third plywood mountain support in this picture.

John

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  8:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

This is very interesting and entertaining, watching as you unfold the several years of progress on your layout. Almost like reading a good novel - wondering what the next chapter will be like.

That curved trestle does look very good and it must make you feel better about finally getting "somewhere" in terms of your plans.

BTW, I've been an SP&S fan ever since I got started in model railroading back in '72, although I don't model that road. It had a fascinating history, to be sure.

A couple of weeks ago, I was travelling east on Highway 14 in Washington State, and someplace along the highway I just caught a glimpse of what looked like a (restored?) SP&S diesel engine and maybe a caboose, off to my left. This was between Washougal and White Salmon, someplace. I was driving our motorhome with car in tow, so I couldn't very well stop and turn around and investigate. And our schedule was such that I had to keep going, and we went home (near Seattle) a different route. So someday down the road, I'm going to go back there and see "what was what" that I saw.

Anyway, looking forward to the next "chapter" in your saga....

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  11:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying watching your progress along with your comments. Don't sweat it John! We have all experienced the frustrations that you feel. Whatever it is you want, you can do. Sometimes though you have to walk away from a project and give it time. Then one day the ideas just come flowing! Build around it and give it time. As the layout starts to come together, so will the ideas. At the benchwork stage, sometimes it difficult to visualize a finished area.

Mark

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  01:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your layout is really getting interesting and the tressels perfect. The scenery will be really neat to see come alive.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  6:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice progress, John. And what a great opportunity to find this pre-built trestle!

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Al, I moved from SoCal to the Portland area 1993 and lived there for eleven years until my work transfered me to Indiana in 2004. One of the last things that I did as we were leaving Oregon for good was to swing by Whistle Stop Trains in Portland. Up until that time I was the typical Southern Pacific fan. My dad was a boilermaker for the SP and my favorite steamer is the GS4 in full Daylight colors. I place all the cabforwards in a close 2nd spot. Joan got a T-shirt and we were getting ready to buy it when Joan spotted a "Special Run" of Athearn F3As in full SP&S colors. I picked the box up a looked at, saw the price and was putting it back when Joan said, if I wanted it I should get it now, cause we were traveling a couple of thousand miles away and would probably never come back. Well, I bought it and the rest is history. From a staunch SP fan to the SP&S. I should have started collecting when I lived in Portland, not when I was leaving. Oh well.

Now that I have a track plan and the start of a layout; I need some sort of electrical control. I was going to go with conventional control; but starting looking over this website and noticed everyone mentioning DCC. I decided to go DCC and bought a MRC Prodigy. I read nothing but bad reviews on the Prodigy and started reading about Digitrax. I bought the Super Empire Builder set..

I wanted to be able to cut the power to the layout with a push of button. So I put the 120-volt feed into a terminal strip and sent a "hot" black wire off to the entrance into the layout and I will install an emergency off button on the facia there. For now, the wire just doubles back into the terminal. I put a cover over this terminal strip and the other 120 volt strip at the other end of the layout. I put a cover over the strip because you just can't be to careful.

I saw a pretty neat setup on this forum featuring a nice looking cabinet. I had some extra pine and a piece of plywood left over so I made this cabinet, installing it under the layout on the wall. Just the Digitrax stuff in there for here.

I have crammed in some of the various different power supplies necessary for the various layout things, i.e. switch machines, electro-uncoupler, lighting, etc. Later I will put one of my older MRC powerpack inside for different voltages. I spiffied up the mess and tidyied up the wiring after this shot.

I built a cover for the junk inside complete with 5-amp circuit breakers. It might be overkill; but I can cut the power to the switch machines and leave everything else on by the flip of a switch. The circuit breakers are going to be used for track power, lighting, switch machines, electro-uncouplers, and 1 left over possibly for another lighting circuit. The ivory switch on the bottom right corner turns the power on to the cabinet, the red light coming on when it does. This way I can still have 120 volts at the layout; but off at the cabinet.

A little bit of heat is developing inside the cabinet so I used a hole saw and cut a hole on the two sides. I installed a fan on one side drawing the hot air out of the cabinet. The fan is wired in to come on as soon as I power up the layout.

This is the start of the DCC. I am using color coded numbered wire. The red and black is DCC. Above the cabinet are the Auto-Reversers. I have a dual main track plan with return loops at both ends meaning I have 4 Auto-Reversers.

Here you see the other power wires leaving the cabinet and the different colors being used on the layout. I printed some wire color charts and have then placed in strategic places under the layout (My memory isn't that good anymore). You can see one of the charts in the third picture.

I have three of these Dream Players by Pricom. I have four of the Scale Magic CDs. I bought three Creative Labs SBS 2.1s placed on the layout. Each of the 2.1s have seperate volume controls.

The wiring is by no means done. It is very dedious as you all know.

There has been a couple of years gone by from the beginning of the pictures in this thread until now. I have uploaded some (If not all of these shots at one time or another on the forum; but not all in one place)

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 10/14/2009 7:45:13 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done good John! All that work under the layout that no ones sees. Kinda disappointing, isn't it. But worth the effort. Your neatness and organization under there will pay off in time when troubleshooting. Well done!

Mark

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  7:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's time to install some facia board for now so that I can make more sense out of the mountain area.

I clamped a half sheet of tempered quarter-inch hardboard around the layout. I used the installation aid that you can find in the last three shots of this insertion to hold up the other end. I placed one end on the tool and started clamping the hardboard around the layout.

I marked the fascia with a magic marker and cut the hardboard with my battery powered saw(Can't beat those battery powered tools). I don't have the trestle glued in place yet, it's just kind of sitting there for effect.

I didn't like the way it looked; Joan agreed with me. The cutout was a little high. It took away from the view. Joan said, what view? She couldn't see anything from the side except the fascia.

You can see the power supply cabinet from the last post in this shot.

I re-marked the board to a lower size.

If I do it in the front, I got to do it in the back. I knew now that the first cut was way to high. Joan had a hard time looking in from the side

This is how it looks after the re-cut. Much better now.

I have installed the other half of the 4x8 hardboard. This is along the mountain business side and the tunnel entrance.

Here's an angle shot of the lowered hardboard fascia.

You can see the Topside Creeper in this shot and a few others. I paid $180 +$20 shipping for mine several years ago. I just did a websearch and found one for $120. I don't know if it's the same; but for just over one hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here's a website that shows the dimensions of the Creeper. This website wants $220 for their version. Due to it's size, I "fold" it up a slide it under the layout when not in use. I made an area under the trestle end that the Creeper could slide into. A little sidenote: I have no financial interest in this company, it's just a handy device to have if you built your layout a little wider than you can reach

http://66.231.15.128/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=8562

This shot shows the mountain and the tunnel entrance fascia.

This is the installation aid that I made to hold one end of the hardboard while I hold the other. I just place the hardboard on the holder and start clamping using those squeeze clamps that you can find at Ace, Lowes, etc. (I have a bunch of these in all sizes, they are very handy. you can see the clamps in the first photo)

This is the tool. I used aluminum. I can work with alloys and metal a lot easier that I can with wood. The round stock is 1-inch diameter aluminum. Probably an old broom stick handle would work just as well. Just cut one of the ends square and glue and screw it into a 2x4 or something. When the fascia is done; I going to unscrew the aluminum rod from the base and use it for something else, (Maybe)

The round stock is notched to the height of the bottom of the fascia.

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 10/17/2009 07:14:47 AM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  07:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a small cardtable at the end of the layout that I had planned on using as a workbench; but it wound up being just a catchall. I decided to take it down and use the space for more layout. I added another 5 feet of layout by utilizing the space taken up by the cardtable. You can just make out a rectangular screened it area to the left of and under the layout. Believe it or not, that's a puppy playpen. Our Cavalier King Charles use to sit at the top of the stairs and cry when we came down to the basement. There is just to many things laying around in the bsement that could potentally hurt the dog, that we didn't want to let him have the freedom to roam around on his own. Both dogs can; but will not come down the stairs to the basement. I carry the Cavalier down the steps and put him in the playpen. He's happy and falls to sleep right away in the playpen.

I had no particular plans for the new area; possibly some small industries. Joan surpised me with a Walthers Transfer Table. The paper plan is the footprint of the table. The plastic base with the hopper on it is a Walthers Backshop. I was kicking around placing a FSM 2-stall enginehouse next to the Backshop in a state of disrepair

Another shot of the addition. I figure that I might as well utilize every square inch of space for the layout. You can see Joan's Sewing Room on the other side of my train room.
She does her thing in one room and I do mine in the other.

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 10/18/2009 07:29:37 AM

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  07:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great documentation of your work. I think most of us have experienced your trials and tribulations in one form or another, but you've overcome them all and the pictures show a success in progress.

Dave

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  3:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now things are really getting interesting. Your going to enjoy using dcc.Scenery soon or am I asking too much?

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello John - I admire your tenacity! I think a lot of guys would have
"thrown in the towel" at some obstacles you have overcome. Very
impressive work and I am also looking forward to seeing more.
I used to live in Indiana, over in the Miller/Portage area, pretty
close to Lake Michigan. Keep thinking..."Model Railroading is FUN!!!"

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: WATER Topic Next Topic: Logging line reno  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000