Railroad Line Forums - New England farmhouse
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 New England farmhouse
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chez Testard  -  Seafood Restaurant Topic Next Topic: Water Tower Build
Page: of 2

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  9:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without revealing too many details, the folks that run the Springfield show this winter have offered the 1/87 Vehicle Club a few tables for displaying our vehicles. We have come up with an idea to construct a few modules that will be coupled together with a continuous roadway. My initial thoughts on constructing my own module will be to build a New England farmhouse and barn. I have started on the farmhouse which is a simple 18' x 24' story and a half of styrene.
I began with Evergreen styrene clapboard at .040 spacing to give the claps very little reveal. The corners are .060 square rod which allow me to glue each wall together and provide a corner board at the same time. I also used the same rod up the rakes for the freize. The eave walls have a .060 x .080 rod at the top to give a slight overhang.

Windows and doors are Tichy. After the walls are glued together, I trim the rake boards to fit the eave end soffit and facia.

After cleaning I shot the building with a dark gray primer and when dry, a coat of RR tie brown. Then I washed the structure with light gray acrylic and Windex and dry brushed the exterior trim work with a lighter gray. I thought about doing a peeled paint technique that I use with another color but I kind of like the look that's going on here and may just weather it the way it is.

Don't know when I'll get back to this but thanks for looking.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there I thought you only built great looking vehicles

Nice start Chester

In memory of Mike Chambers

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  12:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking start Chester, I too like the look you have so far. Looking forward to seeing your module take shape.

How big is the area you have to work on?

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking real good so far Chester. Like Marken said, You had us thinking you only did great looking vehicles.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chester: Looking good!! My problem with styrene, FOR ME, is that when I get done it looks like styrene. Not so with you. The building is looking great.

John

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  11:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chester builds structures too!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to how this is going to turn out, looks good so far!.

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  2:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me be the first to selfishly ask for all kinds of photos from what will no doubt be a hum dinger of a display at the show.

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  7:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to this build. Karl, I'm not sure of the standards yet but they will be somewhere around 24" x 30" which is quite large (for HO)

And for those of you that think I just do vehicles, please don't hesitate to check out the blog address in my signature. There are a few postings about my structures there. Just check the archives.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Chester, this farmhouse will be a good success. The first shots are quite appealing. With you sense of the diorama, I'm sure you'll build a great scene.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic.
I built a small addition that will be the connection to the barn out of styrene. This time I used .060 spaced claps and scored the courses vertically to imitate shakes. I've not found a suitable shake finish for 1/87 scale and if one has the time and patience, this technique seems to be relatively successful. The second photo shows one wall that I finished the weathering on. The roof is scored brass foil that at the moment is a bit too orange. The small window frame will have a 4 light open sash in it but I didn't want to risk breaking it off so will wait to install it.

I experimented with some Evergreen styrene brick pattern for the chimney. It will have a flat stone cap much like many of the old houses near me here. Now I keep hearing that mortar should not be white but an off color but again, my observations have shown quite a lot of old brickwork has the old white Portland, lime and white sand mix that is quite a bright white. Here I used artists chalks mixed in alcohol and when dry merely wiped the excess of with my finger. I'm not sure I'm quite happy with the fit of the styrene but for now it stays.

In this last photo you can see that the finish on the wall stops. This is where the barn will attach to the el.

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  9:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 'Lurking in The Shadows' would be awesome!!!!!!!

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great additions to the structure Chester and a neat idea for the shingle effect, with your weathering it is looking terrific on the finished wall..

I also see alot of the 'whiter' mortar on older buildings around 'here'.... Like you I tend to not follow what is 'said' but follow what looks right to me, which is ultimately what I see around me as I'm driving to work or wherever.

I will now pay closer attention to chimneys specifically but I would imagine a soot build-up / wash off, maybe you already have this in mind, or maybe my assumption of this is wrong.

Karl.A

incidentally I have long (a few years) admired your dioramas, always amazing scenery and water effects to compliment the structures and vehicles they contain.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks much Karl and vice-versa, I'm always looking forward to what you're building.

Yes, soot will be present and I need to flash the chimney to the roof shingles yet but am waiting to finish the interior glass and window coverings and then to fasten the roof permanently first. I've heard some folks use just plain scotch tape and paint it. I may give that a try.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  07:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chester,

Nice build. Your vertical scoring of the clapboard produced a believable shake wall. That is a technique that I will file away. Thanks!

Bruce

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  11:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really anxious to move on to the barn so I'm doing what I can to get the farmhouse to the point where anymore work can be done after it gets planted. So I glassed the windows with clear acrylic and hung some curtains. I used 1 ply tissue dipped in 50/50 water/wh. glue. I got the idea that the thin tissue would make a thin enough material for the flashing so I cut the pieces out and brushed the glue/water on the chimney and set them. Painted when dry. I still have to cap 1/2 of the ridge but the individual ridge shingles are a pain and I needed a break. The capstone is a very thin piece of Vermont slate. Slate has a grain in it like wood and can be split really thin.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  09:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Chester, really love that chimney!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Chez Testard  -  Seafood Restaurant Topic Next Topic: Water Tower Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000