Railroad Line Forums - Gillespie’s Millwork and Supply Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 213 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Gillespie’s Millwork and Supply Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Kootenay Lake Sternwheeler Build Topic Next Topic: Castleberry Creamery Scratch Build
Page: of 11

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite shows of all time. Mr Atkinson at his best.

I do so enjoy showing friends that are fans of the Fox show House, Hugh Lawrie in Blackadder clips on Youtube. Most can't believe it!

Edited by - simon1966 on 10/24/2009 7:12:24 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  10:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So true Simon, never really watched the fourth season though, just a snippit here and there.

Anyhow...... had some 'fun' at the workbench, with surprisingly little cussing.....

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  11:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For the 'wire mesh' I used mosquito screen, used in windows and door screens, I used the black nylon? version. Sprayed it silver/aluminium first and then coloured it with back & brown chalks.
The mesh scales out to 2.5" squares in O and about 6" squares in HO.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 10/25/2009 12:01:34 AM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  12:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, looks really good , I don't think the LP will have to worry on the bottom floor.

Mark

W,L,&E

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  05:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
I am amazed at your steady and constant progress with each new posting. the walkway and protective screening is another wonderful detail.
Peter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  06:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work Karl. Did the roof trusses lift off, or did you have to thread the railings in and install the cross members with the roof in place?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  08:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always amazed at all the things we find to use in modeling. Hope the wife wasn't too upset when she saw the holes in the screens.

On a more serious note, good job Karl.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

Simon, everything on this assembly is glued together. The rails were threaded in and glued, the bracing was placed and glued using long tweasers and a few 'do-overs' .

I have several spare screens from other houses stored in the gaage (just incase I came up for a use for them), besides, no wife to worry about upsetting here, just me.

Only a few more items now to finish construction of the roof and then I can move back to the main structure for progress.

Karl.A

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  10:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just beautiful roof framing Karl. It's a shame it can't be the focus of the build. I think your coloring is excellent.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More excellence, Karl!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  6:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is fantastic in this construction, Karl. The roof framing is outstanding and the railing with the wire mesh is another great detail. You were really well inspired to rebuild this structure.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  03:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chester

I think your coloring is excellent.

It's a very complicated and time consuming process Chester, well actually, no it isnt, all I ever use to colour my wood(unless I'm following a kit instructions) is the same jar of strong A&I, throw the wood in , swill it around a bit and wait a few minutes... depending on the colour I want relates to the length of time of the soaking and when I do/redo the distressing.

Thanks again Mike.

Thanks Frederic, it is certainly turning out closer to how I imagined it the second time around.

Karl.A

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  4:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,could you share your AI recipe.
I'm trying to imitate your shed build with my own hand cut 1/64 birch ply, balsa and basswood.

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  9:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John,

recipe.... hmmmm..... well .... therein lies the difficulty

I 'think' I started with 3 teaspoons of black ink in a pint of alcohol, but that was a year or so ago..... when that started getting depleted I added some alcohol to top up the jar and squirted in some ink, probably 8 or 9 of the little squirter things that came in the bottle. Since then I have found half bottles of A&I (no idea of the mix) from some time ago and just added these in as a top up was needed, if it didnt colour quick enough I'd just add more ink to speed things up (have I ever mentioned I'm impatient), if things came out too dark I would just take the next batch of wood out sooner.

Generally I guage my mixture by the time it takes to stain balsa or bass, I try to get a good colour after a 5-15 minute soak, if it takes longer than 30 mins to colour balsa I add more ink to the jar and try again until it works 'right'.

The balsa/bass needs to be thoroughly dry before the grey tone appears. Even with a strong mix it can take up to an hour or two to stain the birch ply, I have left birch shingles in the jar over night on occasion. I usually also take out about half or a third of the pieces at a time and spread them out to dry, that way by the time you go to get the rest out they have had a chance to soak a little longer which gives more colour/tonal variation.

When starting a build such as this I cut one dimension of wood and throw it in the jar, while it is soaking I will cut another dimension, then remove the first batch from the stain in 2 or 3 lots as noted above, throw in the second batch of wood into the stain and either cut some more or make some windows, then when I realise its been about 10 mins I take the next lot out to dry.

I like the variation I get from not having a specific method or time, I certainly dont have a timer beep when the wood is 'ready' , very random with a controlled basic, ie the stain. This makes it easier (for me) to replicate the colouring for some extra pieces if needed.

Start with the 3 teaspoons in a pint and go from there, they will come out brown but turn greyer as they dry, make sure they are totally dry before evaluating the colour and adjusting your soak time or mixture if you think necessary.

I hope this rambling narrative helps, if not just ask again, or, someone else who knows what they are doing....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 10/26/2009 9:48:54 PM

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Kootenay Lake Sternwheeler Build Topic Next Topic: Castleberry Creamery Scratch Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000