Railroad Line Forums - Vic Smith's City Edge layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: 35tac ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Vic Smith's City Edge layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A reminder about copyright Topic Next Topic: New Bar Mills kit - in O scale!
Page: of 2

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  4:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I haven't been working on much modeling wise, but I just updated my website with a couple pages of pictures that I'm really excited to share. I'm always on the lookout for great city modeling and a couple years ago I saw a picture in the Walther's Catalog that really grabbed my attention by Vic Smith. I searched the web for more info, but couldn't find a thing. Then, in 2003 his City Edge layout made MR. His layout was in Mainline Modeler quite a bit, but I wasn't getting that mag back then.

Anyway, this year Vic released a DVD of his layout and I ran across it on the Green Frog site. It was a great DVD and after trying to find Vic online again with no luck, I managed to get in contact through Green Frog.

To make a long story short, my wife Angela and I were able to stop by Vic's and tour the layout. Vic was a great host and along with a great layout, he had some pretty impressive rolling stock and vehicles on display. I asked Vic if it was okay if I shared some pictures of his great pike and he said "go for it." So here's a couple pictures and a link:

www.gothamcitysub.com

I also finally made it around to updating some other info and adding some pictures of my wife and I on train related adventures

And under the INFO page I have one picture of my new layout to be. I've moved from the blank paper stage to lots of mockups now...
Pics, clinics, and more at www.gothamcitysub.com

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention it, but all of the buildings on the layout are urethane castings of either kits or things Vic has kitbashed. The downtown Deco stuff is even cast. There are some absolutely stunning large buildings that Vic has put together through his casting/stacking process. It's pretty mind-boggling!

Here is one of my favorites:

Edited by - Matt Gidley on 08/20/2009 4:33:14 PM

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  4:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a problem with the site updating. It's fixed now. So if you went and didn't get the updated site, try again and hit "shift" and refresh at the same time.
Matt

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  5:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This last building is particularly impressive, Matt. Congrats to Vic.

Frederic Testard

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 08/20/2009 5:38:01 PM

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love the bay window stuff he does...

Here's the direct link to the picture set:
http://www.gothamcitysub.com/pages/vic1.htm

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  5:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Gidley

I forgot to mention it, but all of the buildings on the layout are urethane castings of either kits or things Vic has kitbashed. The downtown Deco stuff is even cast.

Very nice. I agree with Frederic, the last building is quite impressive.

Maybe I'm missing something here; but why would you take the time to make urethane casting of a kit? Why not just make the kit?

John

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  6:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt
Thanks for posting, Ditto on Frederic's thoughts.
Peter

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  6:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos or one of my favourite layouts. Thanks for posting them

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Gidley

I forgot to mention it, but all of the buildings on the layout are urethane castings of either kits or things Vic has kitbashed. The downtown Deco stuff is even cast.

Very nice. I agree with Frederic, the last building is quite impressive.

Maybe I'm missing something here; but why would you take the time to make urethane casting of a kit? Why not just make the kit?

Just a personal note, I usually do just that. I make own castings of commercially made items when I need to make many parts of the same, for example wall sections for a large building, that wouldnt be very economical if I bought separate kits. There would be to much spill that way. It is also very entertaining to make the castings!
Regarding the City Edge layout; WOW!!!!

Swedish custom painter
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  09:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful layout.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  09:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt, good to hear from you! I to love Vic Smith's layout real eye candy to look at. Thanks for posting the photo's.

Greg Shinnie

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  10:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe there were some You Tube links of this layout posted several months ago - showing night running on several levels, I presume from the Green Frog DVD.
I have seen this layout in several publications over the years and it has always been a great inspiration. It's not big, but he gets everything just right!

Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as casting goes, he does like to make multiples of certain walls, but he said he mainly does it because the urethane is stronger and he likes to paint and weather it better than other materials.
Vic showed me some of his molds and I was really impressed; some of the tall building walls that he's kitbashed and then mode molds of are really intricate and deep. He's got a wall made with a bunch of bay windows that he bashed from the City Classics Iron Front that is amazing. The mold for it is a real piece of art.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  01:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Incredible work!

Is VIc's city edge a running layout or static?

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  07:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent!

Mike

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  08:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice indeed.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: A reminder about copyright Topic Next Topic: New Bar Mills kit - in O scale!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000