Railroad Line Forums - Uncoupling Magnets
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 189 ]  [ Total: 192 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Uncoupling Magnets
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Adrian Stuff Topic Next Topic: Cheap, Quick, Easy Display  

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  11:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting to the point of putting in some magnets for uncoupling in the staging yard. Couple of questions. Has anyone used a movable magnet so you don't uncouple when your just rolling by slow? The area that I need a couple would be a real pain it I would uncouple when not wanted. Thinking either a swing up design or an electro-magnet. Has anyone used either with or without success?

Thanks
John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, I use the HO Scale Electric Under-The-Track Uncoupler #309 by Kadee http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page309.htm where I need to keep the cars from uncoupling prematurely. It works great, and I've put some on the mainline track. I believe the one for your use would be #810 uncoupler model. Hope this information helps.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  11:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Incase you're interested I make my own electromagnet uncouplers.

I sell them for $7 a piece which is half of the kadee price. In my opinion they work better as well. I put much more wire on them also so they don't get hot at all if you press the switch in too long. The mounting of them is not as custom but it works for me. I just dremel out the subroadbed so it fits in tight and glue them in.
I also sell a complete start up kit which includes 1 electromagnet, 1 power supply, 1 switch & a rectifier to change the AC voltage to DC for $25.

Message me if you're interested and I can send you a video of how well they work.

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  01:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your design Desertdrover. Do they mount under the rail or under the ties? It looks as though they mount under the ties. That would be an improvement over the Kadee design.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Previous Topic: Adrian Stuff Topic Next Topic: Cheap, Quick, Easy Display  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000