Railroad Line Forums - Chambers Coaling Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 399 ]  [ Total: 399 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Chambers Coaling Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question Topic Next Topic: SS LTD Boiler House
Page: of 11

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  09:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, you do some amazing work, very inspiring. Keep it up, I am looking forward to seeing the progress on this fine model.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  7:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the ongoing shed challenge on the On30 board has given me a good opportunity to resume working on the coal complex, after almost three months far from the bench (this Arizona Dream project has emptied me...).

Near to the blacksmith shop will be a shed, very loosely inspired by Brett Gallant's first O scale diorama kit. The beginning is modest, with these first two walls.

Here is a copy of the description I provided in the shed challenge topic.

The peeling paint effect was done using Chuck Doan's technique. The planks are first saturated with mineral spirits, then a coat of acrylic white is applied, distressed with an X-acto blade, and finally some strong tape is used to remain some of the paint. As I found there was not enough white bleached out, I used the blade to remove more. I think it leads to a satisfactory used but not abused effect. Some A & I stain was applied to the bottom of the planks to enhance the colour.

The holes were made with a needle with no particular caution relative to their size. Then a tiny bit of oil paint was applied with the same needle, and a very thin brush was used to remove most of it and give a hint of rust running towards the bottom. An effect quite easy to do with oil paint that dries slowly.

The trimming around the windows and soon to be door, and the windows themselves, was done by first painting Rusty Stumps cardstock Polly Scale earth, then applying some Freight car red with the end of a stiff brush (the same technique Brett Gallant suggests to use with a piece of cloth, but I find it easier with the brush).

Next step : the ends of the walls, some additionnal material on the walls, the door, and a few pieces of benchwork inside the shed.

compressor man
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, this is looking very good. I especially like the color you achieved on the large timbers. I will definately be following this one.

Regards,
Chris

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  9:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kp...I'll take a shot....there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a storage bin under the mine trackage up top...therefor not much capacity to store coal waiting to be loaded, so, there may be a string of loaded mine cars entering the tipple at any one time. If so, they need room to dump and then continue forward as empties until all the cars have been dumped. This may explain why the shed is extended out and over the left track....I'm sure others will know more....tom

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic...of course I've forgotten to compliment your work on this tipple!
Really looking forward to the finish on this "challenge"....tom

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  10:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic glad to see you back on another project. Very interesting tipple looking forward to watching this come together. The peeling paint effect on the shed is outstanding.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  01:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback Tom... Frederic, the siding looks good to me!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great detail and techniques - thanks

Elliott

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I just got a chance to look at all your photos. Outstanding craftsmanship, as always! Your peeling paint and rusting nail heads on the walls in the photos above are excellent.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  10:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
Perfect looking walls for the 'used but not abused' look in weather I've been after these past years. You hit the nail right on the head!
Peter

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys.
I have continued the building of the shed yesterday evening and have assembled the two small end walls. A bit of framing still has to be added, and then I'll paint the ends the same way I painted the walls. I'll try to post a few pics then.
Tom, I'll try to use your idea about a string of ore cars, but it will be more on an assembly line since I can't see how to fit your nice idea in the already made layout of the top of the tipple. Anyway, making this very open and visible place a busy one should add to the interest of the structure.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  2:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic...I really love seeing this tipple come together....as for my comments on the tipple...the photo tipple appears to be associated with a "drift" mine, where coal is sent to the tipple from a horozontal plane and could have a number of connected coal "jimmies" coming into the tipple.
You have correctly modeled a shaft mine which brings only one jimmie up the shaft at a time and you have modeled just that....don't change a thing The extra space up top will undoubtedly be filled with all sorts of "necessary" equipment and detail the miners and tipple operators needed to get their work done.....tom

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I havent been following the forum for the last 2 monts, but I see you're not falling behind. Great looking build, cant wait to see the progress.

Alex

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

charles5809
New Hire

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These larger scale builds, larger than HO, are very impressive! Almost enough to get me to switch from HO.

This is a very nice build!

Regards,
Charles

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question Topic Next Topic: SS LTD Boiler House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000