Railroad Line Forums - Chambers Coaling Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Chambers Coaling Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question Topic Next Topic: SS LTD Boiler House
Page: of 11

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, frederic. That's looking great!

Chuck

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after a six months sleep, I've restarted working on this project. Today, I cut cardboard subwalls for two buildings on this diorama : one is the hoist house with the mechanism actuating the pulley on top of the mine, and the second is the elevated structure that encloses the pit area.
No photos yet since there's no interesting thing to shoot but I'll post some as soon as some progress has been done.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  6:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ten months later...

As I mentionned elsewhere, while all the Canson strips were readily available, I decided to cover the subwalls of the hoist house. I still wonder weather I will make an interior since the structure will be in a location difficult to see. In any case, if I make one it will probably not be very important.
Here are the walls in three different stages. One is essentially done, two are simply india inked and the white one has simply been lightly brushed with a brass brush. I have been more and more convinced that our distressing of the wood is much heavier than what nature does.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great color on the backwall Frederic! And I must say that I think the same in this distressin matter altough it is a bit place depending. In sandy winy places wood will be more distressed as the sand blown by the wind will sand the softer parts away..

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It'll be fun watching what you do with your hoist house. It will be a lot different from my brick and mortar version! Looking great!

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  09:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Frederic,very nice modeling & engineering!
Will this have a Chambers Coaling Co. sign on it, to remind us of our friend Mike?

Greg Shinnie

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, Martin, Chuck and Greg.
Yes Greg, I don't know exactly where but the diorama will feature a sign to remind us of Mike and all that he gave us.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  4:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I definitely see your learning Troels' painting techniques. They look really nice. Pat

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

I agree with you that distressing can easily be overdone and I try to stay away from it- it also causes fuzz which we all hate. Good to see this thread come alive after a 10 month delay. I am happy I am not the only one moving at a snail's pace.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  10:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love to see this coming alive again and that you are keeping the modeling skills 'fresh' to keep the old modeling spirit alive by moving to the Canson paper. The coloring looks really, really good. And just how much time did you spend with Troels??? I'm thinking you somehow got some 'personal' painting lessons.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments my friends.
Pat, Kris, Troels' influence is certainly strong, but it is mainly a matter of watching his DVD and the shots in his Coast Line topics. And clearly there's the moment when you have to dare try things, and he probably helped to this too. No Kris, no personnal painting lesson.
Arthur, I know snails that walk faster than I run...

I have continued the planking of the inside of the walls yesterday and today, and added the trimming around the windows and doors, following some good advice...
I can feel the return of the modelling mood. Even if I forced myself not to plank the inside wall which really can't be seen when the dio is installed on the layout, I'm starting to consider adding a few hints of an interior to this initially planned empty hoist house...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederick,

Thanks for sharing the four stages of your wall preparation and painting. I agree that we do far to much distressing of wood and over do nail heads / holes.

Tom M.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic

I agree with you 100%. The distressing on some of our models is just way overdone.
And you just don't see this in real life.
Unless of course your talking about an abandoned structure.

Very nice coloring on the walls.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  09:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at this one, Frederic.

In looking at some of the models I made 3-4 years ago, I cringe at how large and obvious my 'nail holes' are. I have really downsized my 'nail holer' and am making them much more subtle.

Modeling, like life, is a journey and we go through phases learning as we go.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Modeling, like life, is a journey and we go through phases learning as we go.

Bruce really like that saying. And how true it is.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question Topic Next Topic: SS LTD Boiler House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000