Railroad Line Forums - simulating a telephoto lenses
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 simulating a telephoto lenses
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Late July 09 Gondolas & Flatcars Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Early July  09 The Urban Jungle
Page: of 2

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  08:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I love those proto shots taken down the length of a track or train with a long lense. You know the way it compacts everything?

Can we do that in HO?

I have a little canon a110 sureshot I take my model photos with, and I was wondering if the right combination of zoom, macro, f-stop might simulate that effect?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do a lot of looking but not a lot of posting so I hesitate to make comments that might seem critical, but here goes.

Maybe the reason you haven't gotten any responses is because others, like myself, don't understand why you're asking this question? You have the camera, you have the railroad, so why don't you make some exposers at various settings, camera angles and distances, post the results and let us see what you discovered. You'll answer your own question, at least as far as your camera's capabilities go, and you may help someone else on this forum.

This wasn't meant to be offensive, but merely an observation.

Ray

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is done zoomed all the way in, on the lowest f-no... but the effect is not too good on compacts, since the detph of field is much greater than on SLR's, particularly the full frame SLR's.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may be referring to pinhole shots? Bob B. is an expert on those.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  6:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pinhole apertures are not the solution. I assume this is the type of photos being referred to, with the train seemingly shortened by the telephoto effect:

Here's a model scene shot with a wide angle lens:

Here's the same scene foreshortened with a 200mm telephoto lens at f/32 on a DSLR:

Most smaller point and shoot cameras only stop down to f/8, which is generally great for depth of field, especially at the wide end of their zooms. But I don't think they could reproduce such an effect. Keep in mind I haven't tried it with my smaller camera, so anything is possible!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 06/18/2009 6:44:54 PM

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  08:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bob that shots with regular point-and-shoot cameras simply having a modest telephoto feature won't result in the compression effect one sometime sees with conventional telephoto images. I did a 2 or 3 part article on model photography for the NMRA NER's The Coupler some years back and in part addressed this effect and how the appearance of the same scene changes with the use of wide-angle, normal and telephoto lenses. The compression effect is strictly due to the longer focal-length of the telephoto lens, with macro focus and f-stop playing no part whatever.

CNJ999

Edited by - cnj999 on 06/19/2009 08:03:43 AM

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  08:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys....

Wanna hear the funny part? My camera broke right after I posed this question.

I liked the "point and shoot" A540 very much and will probably get another one. It sounds like if I shoot down the line fully "zoomed" it will be my best chance for a little "compression". I will try it.

EK

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  11:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got curious about this thread and took several photos the other day to see what could be done:

This is with my "superzoom" point and shoot Canon Powershot XS10. It's lens goes from 28 to 560mm. I did not shoot at maximum zoom, but did shoot at smallest aperture of f/8. There is the long diesel and five 50-foot boxcars in the scene:

Next up was my Canon XSi DSLR, with a Tamron 28-200mm lens at 200mm and f/32:

And lastly the same camera with a Canon 75-300mm lens at 300mm and f/32:

Here's the setup, with the models on a 6 foot diorama, lights off to the left, and I had to move the camera on a tripod out into the hallway to be able to focus close enough:

So it doesn't look too good an idea for really long lenses. Smaller zooms might actually do better.

Bob Boudreau

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I really want to thank you for experimenting with this.

Thanks also to Karl Scribner (K9Wrangler) for the above example. I would have to say that you got it pretty close in your first example, Mr. Boudreau, and WITHOUT an SLR. Nice!

Edited by - engineerkyle on 06/25/2009 10:33:50 AM

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say that last photo was taken on a big telephoto ( probably a prime lens at a fstop of around F16 - good focus held from front to back.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I'd say looking at that photo makes me a bit seasick :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That shot of the CSX COKE EXPRESS was shot at the 300mm end of my 70-300 lens with Canon Digital Rebel camera. The shot above shows a stretch of over 2 miles.

These shots at Lake Odessa, MI., were also taken at a moderately long tele length as well.

Sort of hard to duplicate on a model RR I'm afraid.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 06/25/2009 12:00:58 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  6:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting topic. I'm sure duplication something in miniature and photographing it to replicate the real McCoy is possible; the right model setup, diorama, lighting and equipment needs to all come together.
Peter
BCT

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  8:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Very interesting topic. I'm sure duplication something in miniature and photographing it to replicate the real McCoy is possible; the right model setup, diorama, lighting and equipment needs to all come together.
Peter
BCT

I doubt the prototype shots as shown could be duplicated in minature. They have really great distances in them, and are shot with lenses at infinity so most everything is in focus. As can be seen by the shots I took, even at f/32 there is very little depth of focus in the model photos. But maybe someone will prove me wrong!

Bob Boudreau

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,

I think long-lens compression effects can be successfully achieved in miniature. I shot this photo a few minutes ago. If I would have made the photo stage longer (it's about 4 feet)I could have added more freight cars and the effect would be increased.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  7:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally tried it.

Thanks again!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Late July 09 Gondolas & Flatcars Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Early July  09 The Urban Jungle  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000