Railroad Line Forums - Superdetailing a Bachmann Spectrum loco
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 Superdetailing a Bachmann Spectrum loco
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Motive Power Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Alco FA dynamic brake details
Page: of 7

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  11:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Victim:

Yes-- It's a good old 4-4-0 American. Actually, it looks pretty good at this distance.

Well, we'll show Bachmann!
-Dave
-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  12:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K. So enough kidding around.

Many years ago I superdetailed a couple of brass models. I enjoyed the process immensely, but I have never attempted detailing a modern plastic model before.

As I said, the Bachmann loco looks pretty darn good at a distance, but on closer inspection it begins to break down with over-scale parts and clunky, generalized details.

For instance, in just this one close-up shot, you can see--
--the overscale pop valves and whistle, the lame generic generator, the overly thick cab roof hatch, and the unexplainable, wacky acrylic cab wind screen.

So then, let's superdetail this sucker.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 06/06/2009 12:59:44 AM

HW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  12:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit HW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will enjoy this....

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  12:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the goofiest details on the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 is this--

I have no explanation nor comment.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 06/06/2009 01:56:03 AM

RRRR4
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  09:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously someone who has been a victim of corporate cutbacks! Hrumph!

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  03:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first step is to remove the cab:

Wow-- that's one big throttle, isn't it?

The bulk of this model is made primarily of metal castings-- boiler, domes, stack, and cab, etc. It's only the detail parts and piping that are plastic. So the cab is held on with screws. In fact, everything on this thing seems to be held on with screws. There must be fifty of 'em!

One quick note before I get to work superdetailing-- A while back I did a thread on removing the pad printed lettering on locos like this. Basically I found that Gojo Creem Hand Cleaner does an excellent job:

The whole thread can be found at:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25384
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  01:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have several reasons for starting this thread. One, of course, is to share the pleasures of this kind of modeling. But I also hope to learn from those of you out there who know more about the finer details of steam locomotives than I do. I find the maze of styles of in-cab piping particularly mystifying.

I'm using numerous sources for my reference information. Recently I came across John Pryke's book, Steam Locomotive Projects and Ideas, Kalmbach, 2003, and while it's not very technical I highly recommend it. I've admired John's work for many years and his book concerns some projects very much like this one.

I decided to attack the bell and generator first. They pulled out of the boiler casting with a bit of difficulty. These (and all) of the applied plastic parts seem to be cemented with a small amount of cyanoacrylate adhesive.
Where necessary I filled the original mounting holes with white Squadron Putty.

While the hardness of the boiler casting makes pin vise drilling difficult, it also makes it easier to file the surface very smooth as it should be. I'm using CA to attach the brass detail parts to it.

You'll see later that I changed my mind about this older style of bell and removed it. The disk on the handrail is an electrical junction box which will eventually be "wired" to the generator. I scratched it by thinly slicing a piece of acrylic rod in my old NWSL Chopper.
-Dave

-Dave

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Creek and Western

One of the goofiest details on the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 is this--

I have no explanation nor comment.
-Dave

Must be he took "Going to Beans" quite literally! Good thing for an open cab.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  09:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, what scale is this? I have B-mann's 4-4-0 American (with 'modern' metal cab, c. 1920) in HO standard gauge, but it didn't come with the LP in the cab. (It did, however, come with a DCC decoder installed.)

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  2:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Dave, what scale is this? I have B-mann's 4-4-0 American (with 'modern' metal cab, c. 1920) in HO standard gauge, but it didn't come with the LP in the cab. (It did, however, come with a DCC decoder installed.)

Mike-
It's an HO std. gauge American like yours with the 'modern' cab and DCC installed. Mine is/was lettered for the Ma & Pa. If you got an exploded view parts diagram with your model are the engineer and fireman shown? They are on mine.

-Dave

-Dave

emccamey
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit emccamey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh - now I see - the figures are as they are because "It's Exploded".
-ed-

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  4:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke too soon, Dave. It's been more than 2 years since I bought my loco, and I didn't recall seeing the figures in the cab. I just got it out of the box again, and sure enough, they're there. I could barely see them but they're in there. They're also on the parts diagram sheet.

I shot this photo of mine right after I got it - and then put it back in the black box. I don't have DCC yet and only minimal wiring on the layout, so I saw no reason to leave it out to collect dust and cobwebs - like the rest of the layout.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  02:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ladies and gentlemen, the engineer and fireman have left the building!

And after fiddling with about fifty more screws, so has the chassis. The bell has been removed and the hole in the boiler filled for the second time. It will be a lot easier to drill holes for detail parts with the superstructure isolated.

I removed the headlight for some detail work and found that those two metal thingies sticking up thru the smokebox actually feed the power to the LED. I'm still debating with myself if I'll continue using this odd method or not. Those silly wind screens have been removed from the cab sides and the slots covered with styrene.
-Dave

-Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  08:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress so far, Dave. I hope you have made good notes (or taken a lot of photos) to remind you how everything goes back together!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I知 watching your work with interest. I have a Spectrum 4-4-0, but I知 not sure I知 brave enough to dissemble it and improve the details.

George

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  4:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Dave, I知 watching your work with interest. I have a Spectrum 4-4-0, but I知 not sure I知 brave enough to dissemble it and improve the details.

George

George, I hope I haven't scared you off with my joking around about all the screws. What I've done from the start is to fold each set into a piece of transparent tape and carefully label what they are and where they go. Then all parts I take off the model go into a zip-lock bag.
- Dave

-Dave

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Motive Power Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Alco FA dynamic brake details  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000