Railroad Line Forums - First time REAL layout ( and yes, in On30 )
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 50 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 First time REAL layout ( and yes, in On30 )
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..the beginning.. Topic Next Topic: Ahh Winter - Serious Modeling Time
Page: of 35

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  5:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At age 52, this is the first time I'll be able to build a layout in a room that's dedicated to that purpose only !

Basics: size is 11'x 11', I intend to build it as a combined shelf and board (?) layout at a height of about 50". This allows me to put a workbench and desk under the shelf part en I'll be able to work in some comfort under the board part.

A very rough sketch:

What are my main topics:

to be able to do continious running (nice to watch the trains go by while tinkering)
to have 2 'halts' for switching and main-line passing loops
to have a 'large' yard and engine yard with turntable ( to show of my loco's)
to mix passenger trains with freight

I have some track that arrived yesterday with my first loco, PECO O-16,5, which I like a lot. As for the sleeper dimensions, I did some volunteering on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, way back in 1975 and one of my jobs was to cut standard gauge sleepers in half to make 2 narrow gauge ones. (The WLLR has a gauge of 2'6" ...)

It will be fall before I'm able to make a proper start on this layout, so there's plenty of time to avoid major design mistakes.

I welcome and thank anyone with suggestions and help.

cheers, Leo.

Edited by - Leo Starrenburg on 05/19/2009 07:24:34 AM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  6:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to much more, Leo.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see your project, Leo. Do you plan to have mountainous or more "flat" scenery?

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  9:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have great difficulty reaching the upper right corner.

Email me and I will send a 5 x 10 Iain Rice plan that can easly expand to fit you space.

Bill Uffelman
In Carson City NV until June

ufffam at yahoo.com

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  9:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leo,
I like the plan but I agree with Bill. You will have trouble with the back track in the upper right corner. It will be very hard to reach. If you want a mountain in the back it will look great but I would leave that track out. The tunnel track does not give you much extra operation.
I look forward to your progress.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  10:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like the plan and would like to offer a different view/perspective to Bill and Larry.

While the track in the upper right corner will be hard to reach it does give you a longer run and the 'mountainous' scene will be a nice visual.

One posible way to circumvent the reach issues would be to remove the section of 'board' behind the track and into the corner. this would allow you to reach up into the mountain/hill and resolve any derailment issues fairly easily from beneath/behind the track.

With the bench hieght at 50" this should also be manageable on a stool/chair with castors... thus avoiding that annoying "crawling around under the layout" scenario.

Just my 2c and a differing viewpoint. Have fun with it either way, I'll be interested to follow along.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 05/14/2009 10:29:19 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  10:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

One posible way to circumvent the reach issues would be to remove the section of 'board' behind the track and into the corner. this would allow you to reach up into the mountain/hill and resolve any derailment issues fairly easily from beneath/behind the track.

With the bench hieght at 50" this should also be manageable on a stool/chair with castors... thus avoiding that annoying "crawling around under the layout" scenario.

Just my 2c and a differing viewpoint. Have fun with it either way, I'll be interested to follow along.

Karl.A

Karl.
Good point.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  01:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your layout idea. It is so important, and fun, to make a series of sketches, slowly improving and honing the plan. I was where you are almost one year ago. 52 and back in the hobby. Found On30, especially with sound, irresistible... It has been an immensely rewarding year for me, and I hope you'll have the same experience! Enjoy!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

lazerman
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  01:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit lazerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea its all about the room and a place to have your trains set up and there own domain,,, I got mine at 42 and this is my 3rd layout,I did something like your layout the 1st time ,but i didnt like to duct under the layout and like bill said u my find getting across to a corner can cause a problem, good luck and hope to see how u make out....

lazerrailways.com

wolfscreek
Section Hand

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  06:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wolfscreek's Homepage  Click to see wolfscreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Leo, you can place the rear track in a tunnel that is accessable from under/behind the table of frame. It also give some variaty in view.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that circle with the checker board lines thru it is a access hole or hatch?

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the track under the mountain because it can be used to hold a train as if it went of somewhere for a while (hidden staging), which works really good for passenger trains, one train can represent several different trains.

A fun way to operate the layout would be to run a freight train around, stopping and dropping of cars here and there and at timed intervals the passenger train can come out of hiding in the tunnel make a lap and go back into the tunnel. I may even be possible to automate it.

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the good advice, it's nice to know I'm not 'alone in the dark' here !

A short list of replies to the comments & questions:

* it's flat (remember, I'm from Holland) but the top righthand corner will have a rocky outcrop of sorts
* the circle with the diamond stripes in it is the manhole to reach the tunneltrack and perhaps with a removable piece of scenery an alternative photo vantage point (have to keep you guys up-to-date haven't I )
* my email is on it's way to you Bill, thanks for the offer !
* ah, sound ! Have seen and heard some B'mann loco's with sound on YouTube, great !!! I'm on a not-unlimited budget however (who is ?) and timber for the tables, shelves and legs have priority for now, but my birthday is coming along :-)
* automation is what I do for a living and not high on my wish-list now, but never say never, have yet to sort out the best DCC system, one of the items I'll be checking out is the compatibility with automation software. Would be nice though to have a couple of trains passing by while I'm busy at the workbench !

Coming Thursday is Ascencionday, a national holiday in The Netherlands, but I'll have to work the nightshift (triple overtime :-) before, this will be a very quiet shift if nothing hits the fan and I'll hope to draw up a better plan then, will keep you all informed.

Thanks again,

cheers, Leo.

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  4:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Leo a great start. I generally read this Forum as I am into On30 as well and have made a couple of contributions to a few topics. Haven't had a chance to catch up for a couple of weeks as things have been hectic at work (as curator at a State Government owned railway museum), Security Manager (volunteer) at the annual 3-day Brisbane Model Train Show and also finalising details for a month long trip to the UK leaving in under 2 weeks now.
I (at age 60) am looking forward to starting my On30 layout (along with my adult son). We had a 40 ft X 20 ft shed built in the back yard last year but still have to finalise a couple of issues before we get it inspected and approved. The layout will be 30 ft X 20 ft. The rest of the back yard will be taken up by a 1:20.3 narrow gauge Garden Railway.
Currently been working on specifications, along with things we must have and things we would like to have.
Everyone on this Forum is so friendly, supportive and helpful, I look forward to when I am a bit more advanced (in my project - not my age)to share and discuss with you guys.

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  07:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A design for the "North Station" (haven't thought about naming the railway or stations...)

A sketch more or less to scale:

topics:

mainline prepared for double track, gives teamtracks(?) on both sides as well
large loop
bit of shunting
raised quarry track (On20?)
lots of detailng possible

Here's a more scenic view:

Approaching from the west we cross the removable section in front of the entrance door, perhaps a tressle later ?
There's a second track on this section, now acting as a teamtrack(?) but perhaps a double mainline in the future.
The station has a loop, mainline platform is 51", loop about 40", plenty of room for my trains :-)
A spur from the loop leads to the small 2 road engineshed/workshop and on to the 'tipping' track alongside a roughly cut rockface.
On the top of this rockface is the end of the quarry track, perhaps in On20 or On30 but handlaid track (only a couple of feet).
The quarry track curves towards the wall of the room, but it is possible to make a hole (tunnel) and run in into the adjecent room, giving a nice effect. ( I dare not mention taking the mainline in there :-)
Going back to the west there's some form of industry with a single spur.
Following the mainline to the east it runs trough a cutting (other side of the rock that holds the quarry line) and passes under the bridge that carries the quarry line towards it's tunnel into the other room.
The cutting doubles as a cover-up of the curve leading towards the West Station and has a teamtrack aka 2nd mainline as well.

Lot's of operating as far as I can see:

Mainline trains stopping or holding over in the loop
Ore/stone trains bringing empties and/or hauling full ones away destination West Station via the mainline and Main Station
Mixed trains with hoppers and a boxcar and/or tanker for the plant and maybe passenger cariages for the station
Operating the quarry train

I'm well pleased with this station and will probably make this the third project when actually building, I want to do the complete woodwork first giving a more or less clean space to do the tracklaying and scenery and then lay a complete single mainline to give my trains a chance to finally run.

Any comments/tips are welcome and appreciated !

cheers, Leo.

Edited by - Leo Starrenburg on 05/19/2009 08:08:38 AM

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be a bit confusing: North and East refers to the actual postion of the room/layout, the sketches are upside-down in this respect !

Dunno why I started sketching this way, just sort of happend (or could be the Bavaria beer I had while thinking...:-)

cheers, Leo

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..the beginning.. Topic Next Topic: Ahh Winter - Serious Modeling Time  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000