Railroad Line Forums - Sierra West Railroad Camp (in small steps)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Sierra West Railroad Camp (in small steps)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: another Airbrush question, preferences Topic Next Topic: what is this car?
Page: of 29

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys
I've always wanted to try one of Bretts kits and some of his techniques. I've had the Rairoad camp for some time now so that's what I'm going to build (partially). I say partially because with the summer coming and the probable need to sell my house I'm not going to take on the whole thing at once when I know my modeling space and time are in question. Anyway I thought I would start with the "truck repair shop". I don't see the need to show you the usual pics of all the parts for the build as there has already been a full RR camp construction thread. I will take pics throughout the build however. As a builder of really only FSM kits I am finding quite a difference in the instructions. George takes you through the build in a very linear fashion and there is really no guess work at all. After reading over Bretts instruction booklet for a couple of days I am finding that there is more checking back and refering to different parts of the booklet and templates before you have a clear picture of what you want to do. Brett also intersperses more of his modeling philosophy along with the building steps and instructions. None of this is meant as criticism, but just the differences I'm finding as I start this build.
In just the small scene that is the truck repair shop there are a lot of detail castings to be painted so this won't be a quickie project. I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to place it on a base that will eventually be the entire diorama or on it's own base that can later be incorporated into a larger scene. I have primed some parts, blackened the metal stuff and started Bretts stripwood soaking method so it has begun. Sorry for such a long post.
Kevin

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  4:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking forward to following your progress on this, Kevin. As I commented to you a few days ago, RRC is one of my all-time favorite builds and is one of my favorite photo props for rolling stock pics. There's just something about the way the whole diorama is laid out that is very pleasing to me. Anyway, have fun with the build - I'm sure you'll learn as much about model and diorama construction from Brett as you have from George. It's just a difference in 'teaching style' when it comes to the instructions and explanations.

(Kevin mentioned the original RRC construction thread from almost 6 years ago. If anyone is interested in browsing through it, here's the link:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4652 )

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  5:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to you progress Kevin.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wes, Yes Mike this diorama has always been one of my favorites and it is very reminiscent of Mic Greenbergs classic that was on the cover of that old NG gazette that was referenced in the original RR camp thread. Again, I was in no way commenting negatively on Bretts instructions. Brett if you are looking in I love your kits and can't tell you how much I look at your website to get ideas for color and texture.
One question about the soaking formula is that I can't get any Polly-s roof brown. Brett, Mike or anyone can you suggest a substitute? I have some Delta Ceramcoat Walnut craft paint that looks very close on a test strip next to the floquil color chart but do the craft paints and Polly-s mix well?
Kevin

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin after seeing your FSM Pile driver construction, there is no build you can't do no matter what manufacturer instructions and techniques are thrown out at you. I also will be looking forward to this build. The RR camp is a nice choice to build.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  7:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis, that's a very nice compliment and much appreciated.
Kevin

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  8:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin,
Nice decision, looking forward to seeing your progress on the camp, Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  8:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onl26

One question about the soaking formula is that I can't get any Polly-s roof brown. Brett, Mike or anyone can you suggest a substitute? I have some Delta Ceramcoat Walnut craft paint that looks very close on a test strip next to the floquil color chart but do the craft paints and Polly-s mix well?
Kevin

Kevin, I haven't seen Ceramcoat's Walnut but Americana's Asphaltum will work well as a substitute for Roof Brown. It's not the same as Roof Brown when applied as a paint and allowed to dry, but it's a good substitute when blended with the other colors to make a stripwood stain. (And I'll have to try to find 'Walnut' as I'm still looking for an exact or near-exact replacement for Roof Brown in the craft paint line.)

As far as mixing craft paints and Polly colors go, there's no problem. I've been doing it for years, mixing them together both as stains and to use as blended paint colors.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  10:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I also have some Asphaltum as per your tutorial suggestion. The color sample I made was a very good match to roof brown and I actually used it when making up your soaking stain. I am trying some test pieces overnite and also looked at a few pieces that I just brushed then dryed with a hair dryer. It yields a very nice warm brown color. It will be interesting to see what happens after the 24 hr. soak.
Kevin

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  11:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your build and I'll be real interested in hearing how you see the differences in instructions work out as your building.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks KP, and the instructions are working out just fine and I'm really enjoying working with Bretts kit components and techniques.
As you can see from a few pics here I am off to a good start. I haven't done a frame wall in a long time. Everything you see is going into this one building and the casting box is still pretty full. Theres a lot going on at once here. I've got the wood soaking, some of it has been brushed and swiped, and castings have been primed and I just finished framing these two walls. I'm thinking of using something smaller for the battens when I get to it. Also the side shed wood will be colored with the usual A&I instead of the brown stain. That's it for now.
Kevin

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  10:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good already, Kevin. I see you got all the tires painted.

I also used smaller stripwood for battens, 1X3's if I recall correctly instead of the supplied 2X4's. My switching to the smaller battens raised a couple of eyebrows at the time but I had never seen 2X4 battens before..... that's the way it goes.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  10:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good Kevin, that framing looks extremely square and true, very nice job. The tire colour also looks great, what did you use for them?? Looking forward to seeing the next progress.

Karl.A

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  10:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl, I sprayed the tires with Testors flat black. I will go over them with very light wash of Rustall then dry brush with antique white craft paint. I use double stick tape over the templates (copies) to keep the pieces in place rather than spot gluing. Mike, I might have thought of using smaller battens but you gave me the idea after reading the entire old RR camp thread. I'm really lucky to have that thread to refer to as there are a ton of great tips in there. It's also nice that Brian Nolan was putting in his two cents (before he went Pro of course, ha ha). Back at it tomorrow.
Kevin

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  12:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking pretty good!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin

Looks like your doing a fine job so far keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: another Airbrush question, preferences Topic Next Topic: what is this car?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000