Railroad Line Forums - Muskrat Ramble - Sysney N G Convention 2009
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Muskrat Ramble - Sysney N G Convention 2009
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Foscale QK31 Hoopers Oysters: Topic Next Topic: Rich Bs Tire Service
Page: of 3

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  10:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures I took of the stunning 0 scale Muskrat Ramble display layout, at this years Narrow Gauge Convention in Sydney. Its set in the Louisiana Swamps 1925. All buildings have detailed interiors, and amazing detail, and I believe all were scratchbuilt.
Regards Rob.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  11:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a beauty, is it an actual layout or just a display module?

could you post more pics if you have

Alex

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Robert. This is really a very nice little layout.

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  07:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,
I know you wil have a heap more of these pics up your sleeve. The best bits, the swamp section and the boat house are still yet to come. You've done well to make a good photographic record of the overall event, and I'm definately enjoying jogging the memory with the shots you have been presenting.

Alex,
Its definately a full layout, with about 6 builders involved, and about 6 modules in total, including a few large loop tracks around the back of the layout.

Frederic,
Little layout? The whole piece is about 23' long, with several forward projections from the front of the layout. I'm sure Robert will have some overall shots in his files, but the front edge of the layout helps make it seem so much bigger as you walk into and out of the layout. Quite clever with the configuration of the modules really.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, thanks for the precision. I had not guessed from the pictures posted that the layout was so big. In any case, it is a remarkable achievement.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  4:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow,
Excellent models and photography. The scenes really capture the deep south I don't think I have ever seen Spanish moss(grey stuff hanging from the tree in the church picture) modeled before.
Very cool.

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really beautiful.

thank you

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  5:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, great looking scenes!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  5:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert
Thank you for posting the latest photos from the convention. Outstanding craftsmanship in every sense of the word.
Peter
BCT

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  6:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice pics and an outstanding layout.

There are more pics on the NMRA website
http://www.nmra.org.au/Layout_Tours/Muskrat/index.html

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  10:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. And thanks to Dan for filling in the blanks. Alex, yes it does actually have trains running through it. The track plan is very simple, as I beleive it is mainly to have some movement through all the stunning scenery. And besides it wouldn't be a model railroad without the trains. A lot of display layouts are built this way so that the trains are easy to run, and the scenery is the feature. The boat repair was built by Geoff Nott. It's so nice I think I will do a scratchbuild for my own layout.
Regards Rob. More to come.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  02:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Robert...

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  02:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! And I see furthermore that this is an on30 layout, which warms the cockles of my heart!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Ho Henry
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert:

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward for more pic's. Great diorama, great detail, especially like the wharf.

quote:
I believe all were scratchbuilt.

Guess that answers where whomever built this particular "brothel" got such a sweet looking hotty in the pink blouse

H.O. Henry

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,
You'd better add your name to the list of people at the NGC that looked at that boat house and comment "that looks alright, might have to build that myself". The cool thing about the structure is its mainly made of balsa. Apart from the Grandt line details, and perhaps a few bass sections on the really fine timber sections, all balsa. During pack up after the show finished, I was carrying that module of the layout back to Geoff's car, it weighed next to nothing. Just shows that if you know how to make the most of what you've got, and push your materials/tools to their limits, remarkable pieces are still definately achievable. Geez, Geoff still doesn't own a balsa stripper/cutter...he still buys the really thin balsa sheet (1mm - 0.5m), and cuts strips with a blade and a straight edge! His work leaves me stunned every time, and you couldn't meet a nicer and very humble bloke.

Thanks for keeping up the top quality pics, and even including my head in the background of one of them!!!

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  5:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert
Thanks you for the latest photos. Truly enjoy each and everyone.
Peter
BCT

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Foscale QK31 Hoopers Oysters: Topic Next Topic: Rich Bs Tire Service  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000