Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: May '09 "Scratchbuilder's Showcase"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: May '09 "Scratchbuilder's Showcase"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: White Pass &Yukon Topic Next Topic: Would this  look good with Bangor Slate markings?
Page: of 15

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  09:12:02 AM  Show Profile
We are indeed a group of modelers who are keeping the art of scratchbuilding alive. Although we have other threads devoted to the topic, we have never showcased our efforts here in the Photo Gallery. I thought that it was time to rectify that situation.

So, this month's Photo Gallery is intended to showcase our members' scratchbuilding efforts. Pictures of structures, rolling stock, motive power, detail items, etc., are all welcome. The only requirement is that the photo contains a scratchbuilt item. While you are at it, you might want to give a brief description of where you got the idea, what materials you used, the scale, or techniques you used.

I once again caution everyone to keep copyright issues in mind.

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

For those interested, a complete index of previous Photo Gallery Themes and their links can be found here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8455

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  09:36:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Day everyone,
Well I had so much fun last month I guess I will start off this month. This is a HO threshing machine I scratch built from pine & styrene for a diorama I built for CSS08.It is not built after any particular prototype, but I thought it did the Job.

Greg Shinnie

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Great topic, Bruce. This should be a fun one to follow all month.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I've posted photos of this before, but this little 'tool caboose' was my first piece of scratchbuilt rolling stock. It's HOn3 and was built following drawings and an article by Julian Cavalier in a 1992 Gazette. Also, the structure in the background was scratchbuilt.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile
You have seen this build here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21836 of my Motorized Rolling Ruffed Grouse. Started with a Bachmann Bobber Caboose Frame and a Life Like Generator.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Nice start on this very interesting gallery.
Mike, my first piece of scratchbuilt rolling stock doesn't exist any more, but here is a shot of my last one.

Doesn't roll very much, in fact, as it is now permanently glued to its hoist...

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage
Good call, Dutch.

This is a gallery subject I am sure to enjoy.

In the photo below we have an HO scale convertable parked in front of one of the J.B. Ford factories. I scratchbuilt the structure out of cardboard, styrene scraps, and this and that.

Edited by - engineerkyle on 05/01/2009 10:55:45 AM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  11:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Good topic for me. Nearly everything I build is scratch.

I start with the farmhouse. I built a similar years ago in HO, inspired by George Sellio's Burley farm. Recently I up-scaled it to O.

Front.

Back.

Built board by board from 1/64 birch plywood over a styrene sub base.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  11:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
I made this O scale sand tower as a teenage model railroader. I got rid of my 027 stuff and switched to HO scale, and gave the structure to a friend. A few years later I borrowed in back and took this photo.

The model was made from a Jack Work article in MR, I used cardboard and balsa wood, all that I could afford at the time. The spout is a bent nail, the "chain" came from a sink stopper. I carved the chimney from balsa wood, covered the roof with sand paper.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  11:33:44 AM  Show Profile
Rube's Rhubarb Plant built from E.L. Moore plans from RMC

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Here’s another E. L. Moore building. I built his Putty Knife Factory out of paper.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  2:49:53 PM  Show Profile
One of my earlier HO Scale scratchbuilds (March '04) was this little building. The loading dock a solid piece of wood made to look like concrete. The first floor rock walls were styrene, once offered by Model Die Casting. The upper floor is stripwood over a styrene sub-wall. I did the build here on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5629&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Yard,Storage

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  5:01:35 PM  Show Profile
We are of to a great start for May! I like the variety of models already.

Karl & George, you've done fine jobs on two models from one of my favorite authors and scratchbuilders!

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Here's my scratchbuilt, barge-mounted, pile driver in HO. Its based on photos I saw of the FSM Jewel Series model I saw in various magazines. The model is essentially of board-by-board construction using Northeastern dimensional lumber.

CNJ999

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  12:11:51 AM  Show Profile
S.P. Cab-Forward 4278 in Taylor Yard on the Glendale Model Railroad Club layout. It took First Place, Steam Locomotives, at the 1951 PCR-NMRA convention, and a 3rd place at the 2008 NMRA Convention in Anaheim, California. The cab has interior detail, the doors and windows open and close, and the valve gear move up or down, depending on the direction of movement. It has two motors, and scratch-built gear boxes. Rivet detail was made, one at a time, with a home-made drop-hammer device. The chassis, boiler, and tender are scratch-built.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  06:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
CN double ended snowplow, scratchbuilt out of styrene. Over 1500 rivets - guess that makes me a rivet counter!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  06:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Very impressive, Bob. If I was the snow, I would melt simply at seeing such a battering ram coming to me.

The inside of the Doan Valley Garage, built after Chuck's magnificent Red Oak garage.

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: White Pass &Yukon Topic Next Topic: Would this  look good with Bangor Slate markings?  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000