Railroad Line Forums - Dolly Varden - Sydney Narrow Guage Convention
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Dolly Varden - Sydney Narrow Guage Convention
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: N scale Humbermill Warehouse Topic Next Topic: HOW TO RECONSTITUTE PLASTRUCT SOLVENT
Page: of 3

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some photo's I took of the Dolly Varden Mine layout, by Dan Pickard & John Hunter. Details of the build have previously been posted here, so I won't go into detail, except to say absolutely stunning. Congratulations to both Dan & John on such a brilliant achievement. It was great to be able to talk them about this project and I have gained much knowledge to help me with my own layout scenery if I can ever get around to it.
Johns rockwork, mostly plaster, and Dans mostly FRocks, and 350 + trees. All in thirty feet of On30 brilliance.

More to come. Regards Rob
Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  11:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert, thank you so much for posting these photographs. This truly is a case of exceptional modelling and display efforts, You'll have to pass on our kudos to both Dan and John. Truly inspirational!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  03:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert

Thanks for the photos.

The layout will be a real show stopper on the exhibition scene and probably pick up many awards.

It's a credit to Dan & John and much needed addition to the hobby, that will inspire many new & "old" modelers ...

regards

Mario

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  05:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for posting the pics robert i also enjoyed our chat hope it inspires you and others to have a go or get going on current projects ,i believe we did not raise any bar of standard suggested by some modellers post convention but not a bad effort for 2 years work, it may not be up to the standard of muscrat or a red stag but I believe most enjoyed the showing, thanks for your kind and inpiring words it means a lot, we have had several offers for magazine articals and that is also been part of the reward for our efforts ,nice pics by the way anymore, I took zero pics myself,I think I know what my next project will be and hopfully the standard will be higher ,maybe I will model australia next, gum trees ,now they are easy compared to pines

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  05:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,
Thanks for putting them pics up...it got John out of his cave! I like the intensity of the colour that has come out in your pics. Its always interesting to see how the different venue lighting effects the photo results. We build at home under certain lighting conditions, so the colours look "right" in that controlled environment, but we have little say over how a venue is lit.

After a little chat with John on the phone the other night, I'm looking forward to seeing some of his new work. Sounds like he has a new found view on modelling, and a renewed approach to reproducing the ideas. His composition has always been superb, I think th execution is about to step up another level.

By the way, John, pine tree based layout in 2 years when it all comes apart, yeah?

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  06:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not me im over pines, gums rule, I will agree with you on my new found modelling spirit,As an observer at the convention I remembered some techniques,of color,and the use of alternative materials ,once introduced to me by some of the great aussie modellers.
My new project will test my skills and patients,and so far im happy, Australia is a superb country to model and the colors of country victoria are so difficult to achieve,that olive color of the trees,the dry grasses the soil tuff nuts to crack.

Edited by - jhunter on 04/28/2009 08:30:08 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  07:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dug out my Doley Varden book last week to re-read. Great prototype and some great models!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting. Not only is the layout a winner but so are your photos.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  10:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John/Dan,

Indeed a very nice display of some fine modelling!

Fabulous!

I am very interested how you achieved the look of your rock work. I can see you used some molds here and there but how did you make the rock face in the 5th picture? Are those rocks hand carved out of plaster? If so would you be able to post a small tutorial on how you do it?
I am at this stage on my own layout and have a large area that would look great with this type of rock.
Any tips you could provide would be much appriciated.
Thanks for sharing your work and thanks to Robert for posting the pictures.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting all these pics, Robert. This layout is really outstanding, and Dan and John's rendition "cries out to be watched"!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent layout and photos.
Congratulations to all and thanks for posting.
Larry

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,
The rock face on pic #5 with the climax rounding the bend...that face is just plaster moulds, probably the woodlands ones. Should say parts of plaster moulds really. The problem with plaster rocks is they can start to look a bit repetitive, and you can spot the same casting over and over. We cast a heap of the rocks, break them up a bit, then rebuild them like a jigsaw on the face. Cracks can either be filled with a bit more plaster or caulk, bit of foliage, or just left as a large crack. There are still some obvious mould duplicates across the layout, but we tried to separate the castings where possible.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dan Pickard

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,
Did you get many good shots of "The Boneyard"? My pics were a bit average unfortunately. That would be an interesting little layout to feature on the forum, just to see how people interpret it...it was probably my favourite layout there just fo its unique style more than anything.

Dan Pickard

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the pics. I've watched the construction thread. I would have loved to see it in person.
A lot of excellent work from Australia, and with a unique touch too.

Alex

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert
let me add my 'Thanks" for posting the additional photos of a truly brilliant display layout that we had the privilege of watching take shape and form here on the Forum.
Peter
BCT

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  8:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, especially John & Dan, as I still don't think the photo's do you justice. I wish I had taken my tripod, as they may have come out better, and of course I was only using the layout / hall lighting, but overall I thinks the pics are pretty good. Please feel free to correct me on any info I may be getting wrong. Loco's were built by Peter MacDonald. Gondola's I believe are Bachman.
Here's some more. Regards Rob

Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: N scale Humbermill Warehouse Topic Next Topic: HOW TO RECONSTITUTE PLASTRUCT SOLVENT  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000