Railroad Line Forums - Rolling Stock Challenge '09 Guidelines
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 221 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Rolling Stock Challenge '09 Guidelines
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 4 Wheel Bobber Cupola Lamp Topic Next Topic: Coal hoppers....
Page: of 3

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  06:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's time for another Rolling Stock Challenge! Beginning on April 10th and continuing to Memorial Day, we'll have an opportunity to kitbuild, bitbash, scratchbuild, and scratchbash a car or piece of equipment in any scale you wish. Here are the guidelines:
1. This must be for your own railroad or one that you model.
2. It must be a piece of rolling stock that is absolutely essential to your railroad in MOW or non-revenue service, or for a key on-line industry (mining, logging, etc.) Passenger cars welcome!
3. If the project is built from a straight kit, it must have upgraded details such as detail parts, trucks, improved brake details, etc.
4. Progress photos and comments can be posted on the Rolling Stock Challenge sticky thread on the Rolling Stock board.
5. Final photos will be posted on a final photo thread that will be for final photos only, no comments will be allowed except by the model builder contributing the photos.
6. Moderating this Challenge will be Dutchman and Slimrails. Any questions, comments, or requests can be addressed to them via PM.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  08:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, a small 'house' car for supplies or a water car... Either/both would be for my HOn3 Slate Run RR.

Bruce

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my friends but Memorial Day is not a French well known date. Am I right in understanding that the challenge is to end on May 25th (that's what Google told me when I asked politely...)

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Sorry, my friends but Memorial Day is not a French well known date. Am I right in understanding that the challenge is to end on May 25th (that's what Google told me when I asked politely...)

Hi Frederic,
According to my calendar Memorial Day is May 30th but the United States has this habit of moving holidays to a Monday to have 3 day weekends.
So this year it is observed on May 25th.

Not sure which date Russ is using.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 04/04/2009 09:38:14 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Russ is magnanimous and will choose May 30th...

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  11:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will give this Challenge a shot since it will be something new for me to model and it also may help me out of the modeling slump I have been in since the first of the year.

I have 3 pieces of rolling stock, 2 from Sierra West included in the Quincy Salvage kit and one from Rusty Stumps included in the Ship's Chandler's kit.

I will be using the three cars in HO as a static display on Quincy Salvage.

So since this is all new to me as I have never built a piece of rolling stock other than blue box kits I have a few questions.

Brett recommends using Archbar trucks and since these cars on my layout would have been sitting around since the late 1920's would they be the best ones to use.

As for brakes I have no clue what would be appropriate.

Here is a picture of the 3 cars as they were included in the kits.

The 2 scrap gons are about 20' in length and the flat car still in the package is about 28' in length.

I posted these questions here rather than in a PM in case others have similar questions.

John Bagley

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks,
I've been thinking about building a Bobber caboose in HO. You know, the 4 wheelers built up until about 1910 or so? According to John White, these were mostly used on eastern roads. Anyway, it will be 19 feet long and based on a N&W prototype.

I have some pictures that I'd like to share; two B & W's that I recieved from a friend via Email. But for some reason they will not load! I keep getting the symbol of a broken picture when I push the preview button. Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong?? I've tried other pictures from my files and they work just fine, it's just these 2 pictures that are giving me a case of the fits! They were bitmaps, then I saved them as jpg's, so I will have to figger' sumthin' out.

Greg Rich

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I think your choice of Archies would fit like a glove! Not sure what your personal stock of trucks looks like or to what level of detail you'd be happy with, but Roundhouse makes archbars that are "acceptable" but the detail is kind of heavy. For scenery-type models they may work. If you'd like more detailed trucks for a close-up model, Kadee makes some excellent archbar trucks. If you want to get into different types of archies, I've included a hotlink to the Early Rails group. There's a veritible plethora of archbar truck designs. Good Stuff!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EarlyRail/photos/album/1950121154/pic/list

As far as brakes, I think you would be safe going with a "K type" brake and an upright brake staff. These are readily available from Tichey and others.

Regards,
Greg Rich

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

I'm sure Russ is magnanimous and will choose May 30th...

That's the date that I had in mind.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  08:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
How do I get into that Yahoo site?
I belong to other groups and when I sign in it says I have to "get web access to early rail" and then go through all the steps with e-mail/password etc. and then it takes me to the Yahoo home page.
I can't find the group link.
I hate Yahoo!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  08:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what the problem is Gregg but you can e:mail them to me and I'll figure it out for you if you would like.

Now I'll need to find something to build, probably a work car with a 'shed' on one end and workbenches/'stuff' on the other end, or a water car sounds interesting. It will be ON30.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/05/2009 08:52:09 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Rich

John,
I think your choice of Archies would fit like a glove! Not sure what your personal stock of trucks looks like or to what level of detail you'd be happy with, but Roundhouse makes archbars that are "acceptable" but the detail is kind of heavy. For scenery-type models they may work. If you'd like more detailed trucks for a close-up model, Kadee makes some excellent archbar trucks. If you want to get into different types of archies, I've included a hotlink to the Early Rails group. There's a veritible plethora of archbar truck designs. Good Stuff!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EarlyRail/photos/album/1950121154/pic/list

As far as brakes, I think you would be safe going with a "K type" brake and an upright brake staff. These are readily available from Tichey and others.

Regards,
Greg Rich

Thanks Greg for the information.
Since I have nothing in stock I will check with my LHS to see what he has available.

Brett recommends the Tichy Archbar's but doesen't mention brakes at all.

Dave,
I also tried to go to the pictures but got the same result as you did.
I am also a Yahoo member.
I tried another approach and went to Yahoo Groups and then searched for early rails.
When I clicked on that link I was informed that you had to be a member of the Group to read messages, access files and pictures etc.

Many Yahoo Groups are now listed that way but some still allow you to view the Group's offerings without being a member.

Definitely a pain to have to join just to be able to read and search for information.

John Bagley

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,
Sorry if I caused any frustration, it was not my intention. I've been a member of the "Early Rails" group for quite a while and I guess it never occurred to me that you had to be a member to view the photo albums. If you decide to, joining is no big problem there are no commitments or $$ involved. It has a different focus than Railroad Line Forums and is a good source of things "Early Rail" for those bent in that direction.
Regards,
Greg

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

I'll need to find something to build, probably a work car with a 'shed' on one end and workbenches/'stuff' on the other end.
Karl.A

That sounds like what I want to do in Sn3, Karl. A general tool/work car along the lines of a crane tender with the house on one end and the rest of it a low-sided gon.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  4:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm gonna work on something relatively simple this time. Maybe a small caboose/work car like this Red Stag bobber (picture "borrowed" from Mario's site).

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Rich

Folks,
Sorry if I caused any frustration, it was not my intention. I've been a member of the "Early Rails" group for quite a while and I guess it never occurred to me that you had to be a member to view the photo albums. If you decide to, joining is no big problem there are no commitments or $$ involved. It has a different focus than Railroad Line Forums and is a good source of things "Early Rail" for those bent in that direction.
Regards,
Greg

Greg,
The frustration was not caused by you but by the Yahoo Group for not allowing non members to view the pictures and even the messages.
I understand their thinking about only letting members post since this helps eliminate spam but some of the groups do allow you to view the Group without the ability to post.

In my case I model the late 1980's but have a section of my layout that is a throwback to the 1920's when the railroad was being built.

While the pictures might have helped the information you posted answered my questions for now(as rolling stock is new to me I am sure I will have more questions).
Thanks again for the answers.

John Bagley

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: 4 Wheel Bobber Cupola Lamp Topic Next Topic: Coal hoppers....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000