Railroad Line Forums - Ludlow–Spencer Toy Company (SRM/FOS Kitbash)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Ludlow–Spencer Toy Company (SRM/FOS Kitbash)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tool Question Topic Next Topic: What do you use for drilling #80 holes?
Page: of 8

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  11:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ludlow–Spencer Toy Company

For some reason, the new South River Modelworks Spencer Paper Box Co. and the recent FOS Ludlow Building kits just seemed to belong together. I’m not sure if it was the similar sized structures or what, but I knew that they were a set destined to be joined. And now they are. Sit back and enjoy a tour of Jim Lucas' and my latest creation, the Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company, a western in-town factory built on a sloped setting.

John Ludlow owned a prosperous retail toy store, a business he wanted to grow. It had a near perfect location in town, adjacent to Cooper's Cafe and Martin's Barbershop. (The FOS Ludlow Building kit, with a toy store located in place of the vacuum repair and cigar store businesses.)

John had a friend, Herman Spencer, who owned a wood and metal fabricating mill just across the river. (The main mill from the SRM Spencer kit, with the basement removed as more fitting of a west coast structure. Water discharge piping was added to the Spencer mill structure.)

Together, the retail merchant Ludlow and the manufacturer Spencer combined their diverse retail and manufacturing experience to form the Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company.

They created and displayed a dozen new products, (bikes, wood educational toys and play toys) at the International Toy Fair in New York City, generating more orders than they could fill and guaranteeing the success of their newly formed enterprise. The always-busy Ludlow toyshop became even busier, as people traveled miles to see the latest toys. (Many custom toy company ads and signs created and used.)

The Spencer mill building was their base for manufacture and assembly of various toys. Raw materials of wood, steel, textiles and machined parts, as well as toys awaiting shipment can be found on the docks. (The mill dock was extended and additional backside windows and a company billboard were added.)

The new toy company offices were located in the Ludlow Building, upstairs. Space for future expansion was made into apartments. (This building was painted a natural wood color, more fitting for this western setting. Additional windows and a billboard were added to the back of this Ludlow structure.)

The old mill office was sublet to Augies Smoke Shop, a place the workers frequently visit.

A pedestrian bridge was added to give the workers an easy access between the mill to the offices and store. This bridge connected differing floors to compensate for the sloping terrain.

Across the street sits Morrison's Market. (This is the Tedeschi Market structure from the SRM Spencers kit, renamed. The roof was modified to tar and gravel and the N.E. type tower was removed, to westernize the structure. The side billboard was changed to match the new market name.)

On the uphill side of the market sits Risky's Bar. (This is the Shuges Bar structure from the SRM Spencer's kit, named more appropriately for a bar out west). These two businesses, coupled with the cafe, barbershop, toy and smoke shops make for a bustling commercial area and an enjoyable work location for the toy company employees.

This build was another exercise in westernizing structures and creating a town scene on a slope where differing elevations could be used to better showcase the individual buildings. Each of the South River Modelworks Spencer's kit structures and the FOS Ludlow kit building were easily converted to fit my west coast theme. They will look great on my layout, complimenting the other structures in the town of Diablo Falls. Jim and I hope you like this Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company diorama as much as we do.

Gregg

(Completing my layout, one diorama at a time.)

Additional photos of the layout and various structure builds can also be found in the threads listed below.

C&DRR Layout Thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22998

Houligan's Alley & Deckers: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19564

Kendall's - After The Fire: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22346

Lamson & Goodnow: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20915

Wrisley Paper: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17659,

Thorndike Mills: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16781,

Martin Machine: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16704

M.Cain & O.Bama Fish Oil & Fertilizer (FSM R. Saywer Kitbash): http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23308

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  11:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are just incredible, Gregg! Extraordinarily creative! It's late tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow when I have more time to really study the photos. Great stuff!

Brian Smith
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  12:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg,

You've done it again! Beautiful and creative. Well Done.

Brian Smith, Gen Mgr
CB&T Pacific RR

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  12:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As Mike said, simply incredible, the composition is outstanding (along with the modelling itself, needless to say). The creative mini scenes just keep drawing me in for more, I especially liked the fire hydrant scene,, very creative. Just an outstanding build filled with inginuity, style, skill, beautiful creativeness and perfect execution, I'm running out of descriptives, but wow.

I'm working on structure placement of a mainstreet right now myself (also on a hill coincidentally) and only wish I could dream up 1/10th of your work.

Congratulations to both of you on yet another masterpiece!

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/26/2009 12:45:02 AM

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  01:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg and Jim, I can only dream, this is outstanding.
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  01:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

You guys are just incredible, Gregg! Extraordinarily creative! It's late tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow when I have more time to really study the photos. Great stuff!

Thanks Mike, from both of us. These in-town builds lend themselves to endless mini-scenes (and countless hours of modeling). Here is one more shot to enjoy tomorrow.

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  02:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Smith

Gregg,

You've done it again! Beautiful and creative. Well Done.

Brian Smith, Gen Mgr
CB&T Pacific RR

Brian,

Thanks. I am pleased with how this one turned out. There is not a bad or uninteresting side/view, which is hard to do. I hoped for that when planning, but you never know until finished. It is satisfying to see the results.

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  02:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

As Mike said, simply incredible, the composition is outstanding (along with the modelling itself, needless to say). The creative mini scenes just keep drawing me in for more, I especially liked the fire hydrant scene,, very creative. Just an outstanding build filled with inginuity, style, skill, beautiful creativeness and perfect execution, I'm running out of descriptives, but wow.

I'm working on structure placement of a mainstreet right now myself (also on a hill coincidentally) and only wish I could dream up 1/10th of your work.

Congratulations to both of you on yet another masterpiece!

Karl.A

Karl,

Thank you for the many kind words. I like the fire hydrant scene too. Here is another shot, from a different angle, which also shows the bronze horse statue. It took a few glasses of wine to figure out how to get the "bronze" look. (Put one of those Floquil rail brown paint pens to use, over a black plastic horse.)

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  02:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mecrr

Gregg and Jim, I can only dream, this is outstanding.
David

Thanks David. In truth it is the dreaming, or more acurately day-dreaming, that is the genesis for this and all my builds. When I first decided to build a kit I create a word document to capture all my notes and ideas I may want to include in the design and build. For instance, my high level design thoughts (build goals) for this one included:
· The build will be on a grade, along a rising, curving road.
· Showcase/Good view of front of the market
· Showcase/Good view of the bars front entrance
· Showcase/Good view of Augies Smoke Shop
· Showcase/Good view of Ludlow storefront
· Showcase Spencer main mill front with many windows.
· Tie the Ludlow and Spencer buildings together via breezeway over water
· Placement of the mill water feed and gate upstream from mill and discharge pipes downstream.

I also had a running list of mini-scene ideas, some of which I used, others I did not but still may. Here is that list:
- Add a fountain in front of the Ludlow bldg.
- hosing down sidewalk/windows
- fire hydrant with water and kids/dog playing
- advertisement balloon on string
- tug-a-war game
- dog on long leash
- throwing rope down from roof
- filling radiator of car
- men wiring telephone or power lines
- putting up billboard on Ludlow bldg?
- replace Ludlow office sign
- add pipes on back of bar
- gate/sign in front of Spencer mill with logo/signage?
- “welcome to Diablo Falls ….” Sign over street using ropes
- a box of toy parts has dropped off the dock.
- uncrating bicycle frames
- a go-cart race?
- many balloons on strings
- add a boy fishing from bridge
- a tree house?
- kite flying contest?
- dropping tools down from roof by rope

As you can see, dreaming is very important. Just remember to take notes.

This shot shows a couple of the ideas mentioned (The detailing is not finished on this side alley, but is still a good view.)

Gregg

Edited by - GreggW on 03/26/2009 02:28:01 AM

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  02:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg was just thinking the other day i haven't seen a build of yours in a while and i stumble upon this lovely build. The scenes in this are fantastic. You really have a creative mind. I love the children playing in the water, very creative

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  02:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gregg and Jim, fantastic work as always. I love the feel of history and purpose you convey, it adds so much to the believability factor. I love the shot of the perdestrian bridge across the river - that tree tucked in by the building is fabulous. Looking foward to all the extra shots I know you'll post as people respond, and spending some more time with these pics.

Thanks for sharing the progress of your masterpiece, cheers, Mark.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  04:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, you've made it once again. This new diorama is another endless source of enjoyment and inspiration. Thanks for sharing your inexhaustible creativity. The scenes with children (in the toy cars or those playing in water near Morrison's market) are two great examples of it.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my word Gregg. That is one tottaly awesome scene. So much detail packed in, ive been over the pics 3 times. Love it all. The water gushing out of the pipes looks really good. Man i just cant get enough of it all.

Well done

Regards

Wes

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  05:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg,

You and Jim set the standard in my book for great dioramas using kits.

I scratchbuild because I find it easier but the blending of the kits together than you guys do is incredible.

Sure makes me want to dust off those yellow boxes and actually build a few.

But I know mine would never measure up to your's.

Thanks for sharing.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  06:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg: Will you quit it? This is just tooo much! Simply awesome and amazing, all of the fine detailing! I sure wouldn't want to enter a diorama contest against you guys! Which brings up the question: Have you entered your stuff in contests? Hands down winners I bet!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg

In following all of your beautiful and creative threads, you guys just keep out doing yourselves.
This is just another outstanding example of your fine work.
Always leaving us to look forward to the next adventure!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Tool Question Topic Next Topic: What do you use for drilling #80 holes?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000