Railroad Line Forums - Pine Ridge (3)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Pine Ridge (3)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: UK vs USA (Glues & Adhesives) Topic Next Topic: Geoff Nott - Scenery Part 1
Page: of 13

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, I drive for a day and look what you accomplish! I am glad to hear that they made it in OK. If it is anything like my house when the parents show up, the kettle is on before anything else happens!

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  12:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,
Great looking barn and wonderful scenery and detail. The layout is looking first class!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  02:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, you're right about the kettle, that was the first thing they asked as we were driving down the driveway

Thanks Andy I appreciate it.

Nothing to show today obviously, just stopped by to say thanks for all the comments thoughout and the well wishes for the visit.

Take care,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/19/2009 11:33:49 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  02:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I have to agree. The longer trestle looks much better!

A day without progress? Someone write this down and make note of it. This is a first!

Mark

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  01:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not much to show, but I have managed to get a couple of hours in the garage last night and tonight after Mum and Geoff went to bed.

Last night......

I added the first two basic layers of ground cover to the two drop in sections between the crossing area and blended them into the subroadbed

I also added in some trees behind the merchants row 3 and the tea rooms.

After that I extended the trestle at Quincys (still needs to be stained)and added some more junk underneath it.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  02:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not much done tonight,

I made the landforms and added the two base layers of groundcover to the transition area at the edge of town. I decided to curve the paved road into the backdrop through some trees so it couldnt be seen. A dirt road will emerge from the right of the trees and head off to the rural areas. This seemed like the simplest/quickest solution to me.

When this was test placed I started to rework the dirt road that passes the tire repair shop and crosses the tracks to Quincys, this will be a wooden crossing made from ties. I 'may' build and install my working "wig-wag" crossing signal here at some future date.

Just one more small section of pink foam to cover (as seen in the first picture of the previos post) and install and then I can start blending the sections in and adding the trees and other items from the backdrop forwards.

Hopefully I'll get a little more time to work on this in the next few days. Till then....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/19/2009 10:57:28 AM

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  08:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, great additonal progress. I have done squat on my layout since you started this project. Time to get something done today however.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  09:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Karl. The dirt work looks especially good.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  09:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,
Got back from going to the Great Lakes symposium and your layout never sleeps I see. I really like how its coming together.

Can you tell me who makes the little red brick kit in the 3rd from the last photo? I have the same one on my layout, and I was asked and forgot.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  10:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Simon, Mike and Tim, always nice to get some positive feedback. Of course if you think something can be improved in some way, let me know.

Tim, the building is Schultz Garage from DPM (advertisement/promotional image by DPM below)

Today we are headed to the Botanical gardens for a nice Sunday walk for a few hours, of course being a modeller I'll be looking at all the plants with the view of....."How can I use that...?"

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/19/2009 11:04:11 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  11:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, once again, Karl. The extended trestle looks very nice.
The roads are excellent too. When its "birth" is well hidden by a compact set of trees, the road leaving the village will look very natural. I like its clear almost white color.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Just catching up as I have been following your lightning progress.I have enjoyed every post on your thread and have picked up quite a few tips and techniques I plan on using. Keep 'em coming.
Peter
BCT

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Where have I been. Karl, this is exceptinal modelling and at exceptional speed! You're right, must be all that caffeine - hmmm, I guess I'll have to take up coffee after I quit the habit a few years back!

I really like the trees you've planted. I also am very impressed with that island in the centre of the street with the floral arrangements to beautify the town. The street colours look bang on and the angled look to the town near where the backdrops change and the street runs around the corner really adds to the scene making it appear like a larger city scape. Once again, exceptional work!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 04/19/2009 1:44:55 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  11:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys,

I'd love to accept your compliment Frederic, but, the white road you currently see is only the plaster base that the styrene 'paved' road will sit on, sorry to disapoint , 75% of this road will only be glimpsed through the trees until it disapears completely, the road also tapers to allow more dense foliage to disguise its disapearance into the trees/backdrop. I will also probably use some of my 'low relief' trees in this area to save space but not effect.

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you are enjoying my ramblings and if least someone (but hopefully more) is gaining some useful info then thats a great motivation.

I dont know where you have been Mike, but I've spent an hour or 50 in the garage , I'm glad you are getting caught up and thanks for the positive comments.
I see streets like this all the time in real life but rarely (if ever) have seen them modeled, towns dont always need to be down and depressed, I model to get away from all that, maybe not everyones ideal but I liked an upbeat, vibrant feel for this town, especially now.

Nothing to show today and work tomorrow, but maybe an hour or two tomorrow evening, two more days and I'll have been at this a whole month !!! seems like only yesterday...................

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/19/2009 11:20:36 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  11:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

The dirt work looks especially good.

Thanks Mike, its primarily all thanks to you, some more work is needed but I'm feeling good about it all so far.

Karl.A

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: UK vs USA (Glues & Adhesives) Topic Next Topic: Geoff Nott - Scenery Part 1  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000