Railroad Line Forums - Lime Company by Sheepscot
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 50 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: RichJohnson ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lime Company by Sheepscot
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Full Steam Ahead Freight House Topic Next Topic: Chambers Feed & Grain  

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  10:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After almost a year of being relatively quiet posting any of my building "adventures" on the forum, I'm preparing to start Sheepscot's "The Lime Company". I have had this kit for years and now desire to build something big. Having built three other Sheepscot kits over the last few years, I love the challenge and near scratch building nature of their construction. At this time I have reviewed the instructions and I'm coming to understand the sequence necessary for a successful completion of the kit. As with a real structure (and unlike so many other kits) the foundation and site grade enter into the equation early on.

At this time I ask if anyone has had experience with this kit. Sheepscot instructions point to the completion of the kit and don't guide one to the finish. I have read through rbarron's incredible O scale scratch build thread. I hope to post the obligatory kit part photo(s) in couple days.

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  06:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

As you know I did the Lime Company buildings in O scale a while back. I didn't put everything
together on a base yet since I will at some point be on a layout. I love sheepscotts kits and this
kit was a fun build. The only issue to check is the spacing from the track to the storage bin. In
O scale I thought that there could be more spacing, it looked tight to me.

Looking forward to your build.

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  08:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve

Ready to follow along!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David from Portland
New Hire

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  1:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built this in HO scale some years ago; same type of construction at Beanfield Siding and his other large kits. Nothing untoward about it...the stairs around the tower required a lot of patience.

You'll enjoy it...the diversity of buildings made it interesting.

David

Locobreath
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  10:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Locobreath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't built this Sheepscot kit but I have build two others including his barge with the pile driver.

They are a blast to build - some of the most enjoyable kits I have ever done - somewhere between scratch building and kit building.

I'm sure you'll have a good time with it.

Please post your progress and completed project. If you can build a Sheetscot kit you can build anything!!!!!

Neil

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi steve

Does sheepscot have a website?

Regards
Wes
Modelling in sunny South Africa

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wesley,
Here is the link to Sheepscot's web site.
Unfortunately he only produces vehicles now and his structure kits can only be purchased on the secondary market.
He does produce some excellent vehicle kits.

http://www.sheepscotscale.com/portal/

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  02:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the onset of Fall ones mind turns to modeling. After the last year of virtually no modeling and over two years since I built anything with a concurrent thread on RRL, I'm jumping into a project on which I started a thread in Feb 2009 and then did nothing with it. I was in a building frenzy at the time and never could get to it. Later my interest in all modeling totally died. With all that hopefully behind me I am finally getting this kit out of the box. It is a typical Sheepscot kit with lots of wood, some castings, and photo-etched brass. This will be my fourth Sheepscot kit build. I'm looking forward to it.

The first step will be distressing of the wood with wire brushes, etc. This will be followed by a stain to simulate bare weathered wood. Progress will be slow at first since I'm about two weeks from a photo trip to Italy. Things will pick up in November.

friscomike
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  9:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love Sheepscot Kits and can't wait to watch the lime company build. Have fun and post lots of photos. ~mike

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  12:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve.

I have this one on the shelf and have never built a Sheepscot kit. Two very good reasons to watch your build! I do love the look of their kits, and will quite possibly buy more in the future.

Watching with interest, Mark.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  08:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite HO kits.
I look forward to seeing you put it together.

Tim Kerkhoff has a scene on his layout with two of them together.

As you think, so will you be.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  01:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you starting this one up again Steve.

What is that piece of wood in the front of the picture for? Looks almost like a roof.

Regards
Wes
Modelling in sunny South Africa

bruno
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2010 :  8:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bruno's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agree,SheepScot's kits are in the top.
Original,freedom to express your talent.
I love them.

YVES

Previous Topic: Full Steam Ahead Freight House Topic Next Topic: Chambers Feed & Grain  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000