Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Author Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 NMRA AP Author Certificate "Support" Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sunday Morning Lounge Topic Next Topic: SATURDAY MORNING LOUNGE
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

As the title suggests, members working toward the NMRA Author Certificate will need to ‘get published’. There are plenty of RR-L members, both NMRA members and not, who have been published at the local or national levels, and I am sure they would be willing to offer help and advice to those who ask. Actually, in addition to traditional ‘articles’, credit can be earned by giving live clinics, developing multi-media presentations, and even publishing on-line. The specific requirements for the Author Certificate can be found at this link: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_author.html

If you look at the requirements, you will find that you need to earn 42 ‘points’. These points are earned according to the chart given, and you really need to look at the chart for specifics. Only half of the points can be earned by being published at the ‘division’ level. The other half must be earned at the region or national level.

For those who have yet to be published, writing an article for your Division newsletter is a great way to begin. RR-L members Chuck Diljak and Gerry Leone are both editors of Division newsletters. I am sure either would be willing to answer your questions.
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I didn't realize that there was a stipulation that only half of the points can come from division publications.

Getting published in your division or region newsletter is a good way to get your feet wet on this "article writing" business. It really isn't that hard to do...it just takes a little additional time while you are working on a project. Besides, the region and division editors are hungry for articles! So, please ask questions and help your editors by writing articles!

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Getting published in your division or region newsletter is a good way to get your feet wet on this "article writing" business. It really isn't that hard to do...it just takes a little additional time while you are working on a project. Besides, the region and division editors are hungry for articles! So, please ask questions and help your editors by writing articles!

Chuck

Chuck is right. Division and region newsletters are put together by volunteers, and new material is usually welcomed with open arms. Even on the national level editors are looking for new material to keep their publications fresh and inviting.
And editors on all levels are generally willing to work with you to enhance your articles. So fire up the word processor and give it a try!

Pete
in Michigan

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  1:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being the Division newsletter ("The Cinder Cruncher") editor for the International Division NFR, I can attest to the comment that we want all of the articles we can get. Unfortunately our newsletter is mostly photos I have taken as no one wants to subit an article. The news letter is 99% online and a hard copy is only sent to those that request it. I am waiting for someone to complain about it's content, so that I can suggest they take it over.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  9:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the 2nd certificate area that I completed and being in the publish or persih domain, model RR writing was completely recreational for me,

As such, I give a clinic on how to complete this certificate at NMRA conventions. Not sure that I could send out my set of slides (big file...) or how/where I could post them, but feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer what I can,

And yes, your Divisional and Regional newsletters/publications are always looking for material and that's all you even need to be published in to get this one done....

Edited by - mwbpequod on 02/25/2009 9:56:13 PM

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently, I tallied my Author points and found that I had far more than required.

Over the last fifteen years, I presented a number of regional and divisional clinics. I wrote for my local division newsletter and the region as well.

My Author Certificate arrived recently and is presently waiting to be framed.

I suggest that all Authors add up the points for work already completed. You may be surprised!

Regards,

Eric Dervinis

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Eric.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Eric.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  12:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Eric!! I've got to get my butt in gear!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  11:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

It just came over "the wire" on the editor's Yahoo borad that you received your author's certificate! Congratulations!!!

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chuck. That is great news.

Bruce

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as a Frenchie, I don't know if I could apply for any NMRA certificate, but otherwise I think the articles I wrote in national French and Aussie mags would give me enough points to have this one.

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  9:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

NMRA members in all parts of the world are eligible to receive the Author AP certificate. Put your list together and submit to your local AP contact. If none, send it directly to the Region Chair or the National Vice Chair.

Good luck,

Eric

Congrats Bruce!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Bruce. How much do you have to do to get MMR?

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  09:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Bruce!

Pete
in MIchigan

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Sunday Morning Lounge Topic Next Topic: SATURDAY MORNING LOUNGE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000