Railroad Line Forums - Lou's American Indian Totem Pole
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lou's American Indian Totem Pole
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Question regarding plaster castings Topic Next Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale
Page: of 3

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  7:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totem poles are an ancient tradition of the Indian tribes of the Pacific Northwest Coast. Washington State in the USA, British Columbia in Canada, and some of the Athabaskan tribes of southern Alaska.
Totem poles are monumental sculptures carved from large trees, usually cedar, but mostly Western Red cedar, by cultures of the Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast of North America. The word "totem" is derived from the Ojibwe word odoodem, "his kinship group". Totem poles made during the 1800's, were made of a single piece of cedar up to forty feet high. Today the title of "The World's Largest Totem Pole" is or has been claimed by several towns along the coast: Alert Bay, British Columbiaís being 173 ft (56.4 m). There are all kinds of styles, mostly with animal faces.

I had bought a Blair Line HO scale Roadside Tourist Trap kit #170, and built mine as the Totem Pole Trading Post. I wanted a totem pole to go along side the structure, and after not finding anything on the market to work. I decided to build my own. I started with a Ĺ inch wooden dowel for the pole, a bag of animal face buttons from Michaelís craft store. a couple of wooden pieces for totem pole wings from a bag of Woodsies Rectangles that I had on hand, and some scrap thin balsa for the bottom bears feet and paws from my scrap box.

I filed flat spots on the wooden dowel where each face would go and epoxy glued each face into position. I then cut the ears on the faces to fold them back to the pole, and cut the lionís mane to form it to the pole better to look as though it was carved into the pole. Then, I took a piece of thin balsa and cut out shapes for the bottom bears feet and paws, and glued them to the pole, wrapping them around as I glued them in place with ACC glue. I used two pieces of the wood rectangles for making the top wings. After cutting them out, I took a wood burning tool and carved in designs and glued them to the top of each side of the totem pole with epoxy. The next step was to take some wood putty and form the faces to the pole to give everything the look of being carved into the wooden pole. I made my totem pole a scale 35 feet tall.

After looking at the pole, I decided to take another piece of thin balsa and formed it around the base of the pole to give it a better illusion of a pole being carved starting at the feet and working up the pole. First I gave the pole and the faces a coat of floquil primer, and then when dried, colored the totem pole with a couple of coats of Minwax Puritan Pine Stain. Then, I sprayed the pole with a dull cote finish. When dry, I used Bragdon Dust Bowl Brown and Weathered Brown weathering powders. Now, I have the totem pole I needed, and thought I would put this how-to out there for any interested modelers. Thanks for taking a look!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

You did a great job of melding those plastic animal face buttons into the pole. Another interesting build by Lou! (Hey, you could put your eagle's nest up on the top of the pole.)

Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Louis,

You did a great job of melding those plastic animal face buttons into the pole. Another interesting build by Lou! (Hey, you could put your eagle's nest up on the top of the pole.)

Thanks for your reply Bruce, and you did give me the choice idea for that nest. It's a done deal for me!

Louis

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  8:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dad, you have outdone yourself!! Absolutely amazing!!

Question:

How did you get the faces to 'pop' like that; was it the weathering powders? It looks like the 'wood' is showing through!

Suggestion:

Before you mount it on your layout, you ought to cast it in resin and sell em; I would be your first customer!

Many, many thumbs up!!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  8:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, that's some incredible modeling, Lou!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  9:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lougomes

Dad, you have outdone yourself!! Absolutely amazing!!

Question:

How did you get the faces to 'pop' like that; was it the weathering powders? It looks like the 'wood' is showing through!

It was the Bragdon Dust Bowl Brown, I noticed after putting it over the weathered brown powder it seemed to give it that look. And, thanks for your comments.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  9:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Now, that's some incredible modeling, Lou!

Thanks alot Mike, it's always great to see your thoughts and comments.

Louis

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Louis,
You never cease to amaze us. Very creative and very well done.

When Julie and I were in Alaska we saw numerous totem poles. Will there be a story behind this one?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Louis,
You never cease to amaze us. Very creative and very well done.

When Julie and I were in Alaska we saw numerous totem poles. Will there be a story behind this one?

Thanks Tim for your comments. As far as a story, the only story I had was not being able to find one already made for me. lol

Louis

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding and ingenious Louis, a perfect job of blending those faces into the dowel seemlessly. The colouration is also spot on. Another great and unique 'how to' from "the detail master".

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Outstanding and ingenious Louis, a perfect job of blending those faces into the dowel seemlessly. The colouration is also spot on. Another great and unique 'how to' from "the detail master".

Karl.A

Well thank you very much Karl for your kind comments. But, "the detail master" well that's just stretching things a bit. Lets just say I get lucky sometimes.

Louis

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  07:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent Louis!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
Not only another well done "how to" but one that is perfect for my layout.

The city of Nenana Alaska that I model was originally an Athabascan Native Village and even today the population is 40% Athabascan Indians.

So I can see a totem pole or two somewhere on my layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat idea! Wonder what the native tribes would think of seeing a leopard, a lion and a tiger on a totem pole! The effect is good though.

Another way would be to get to Alaska and visit one of the gift shops where there are many "genuine totem pole" models, all made in China! I imagine the cost would be a whole lot more though!

Here's a little one I picked up as a souvenir on our cruise to Alaska a few years ago. I posed it next to an HO scale Athearn tractor to give it scale. There were larger ones available too:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Most excellent Louis!

Thanks Mike for your comment, and taking a look.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Louis,
Not only another well done "how to" but one that is perfect for my layout.

The city of Nenana Alaska that I model was originally an Athabascan Native Village and even today the population is 40% Athabascan Indians.

So I can see a totem pole or two somewhere on my layout.

Thanks John, as always it's good to hear your thoughts and comments. After seeing what Bob posted, it is an easy fix for your layout with a totem pole like he has. I never gave Alaska a thought, as a place that would have all kinds and sizes of totem poles.

Louis

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Question regarding plaster castings Topic Next Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000