Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Electrical Eng. Certif. "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 NMRA AP Electrical Eng. Certif. "Support" Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Terminator Topic Next Topic: crossing
Page: of 3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

Wow, how many times have I listed the ‘electrical’ aspect of the hobby as my least favorite?

The requirements for this AP category are quite involved, but you are given many choices from which to choose. Simply said, you must wire specific types of track, signals, controls, etc., and show that it works. You must also complete a set of schematics for the items you choose to construct. Here is the link to the detailed description of the category: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_electric.html

Again, I believe that we have a number of RR-L members who have either completed these requirements or are currently working on them. I hope that they jump in here with some insights and pictures.
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  1:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce I am a bit like you in that electrical is not my favorite part of the hobby, but other than the electronics I understand it. I have everything ready for this but need to get it judged.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Can you tell us which items off the list(s) you chose for evaluation?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  4:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce I built my own DC throttle( and still use it as it has a resetable circuit breaker) added constant/reversable lighting in a DC locomotive, a reversing loop and a turnatble, five blocks, mainline passing siding, One yard with a minimum of three tracks and a switching lead independent of the main line, Roundhouse for storing loco's, wired a powered turnout, cross over, double cross over, Cab control, making provision for connection of at least two power supplies,I've also installed a DCC chip,

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  5:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the list, Chuck. I was looking at the requirements and comparing to some of the wiring I have finished. I have a few that satisfy them. Now I'm wondering if my yard lead is really independent of the main line.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  5:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I had to go back and find a photo of your yard:

From the way I see it, I think you are good to go. The two tracks that curve around the turntable in the lower right are your mainline and yard lead, right? I am ignoring the turnout that is in the bottom right. The track closest to the turntable is the yard lead?

If my assumption is right, you can use track 2 in the yard (from the edge) as the arrival/departure track, since there is a crossover that takes you from that track to the mainline...or to the yard lead. Having that crossover allows you to work the classification yard from the yard lead while a train can arrive or depart from track 2, uninterrupted. And, the yard engine can pull or shove cars onto that track to make up a train.

You might not operate it that way, but you can spin it that way to the AP chairman. You might want to ask him for more clarification. But, I think that allows you to operate the main line and yard, independently. And, they can still interchange with each other, when needed.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  7:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Thanks for taking the time to find and analyze that photo. Here are two (older) pictures showing 'the rest of the story'.

As those two tracks swing around the turntable, they approach a double crossover.

Beyond the double crossover, the left track leads out onto the peninsula. The right hand track goes up into the Quarry Branch, and eventually to the scenes on the adjoining wall.

So I suppose that even though I ballasted both tracks to look like mainline tracks, anything coming down from the Quarry Branch and beyond could take the double crossover to the outer track, leaving the inner track as the yard lead all the way from the double crossover to the yard. Right?

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  10:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

So I suppose that even though I ballasted both tracks to look like mainline tracks, anything coming down from the Quarry Branch and beyond could take the double crossover to the outer track, leaving the inner track as the yard lead all the way from the double crossover to the yard. Right?

Bruce,

Having seen only the pictures and your discussion with Chuck, it appears to me that this is a correct statement. Your access to the yard is here, true, but equally true is the fact that your trains can enter or leave the yard on the single crossover, leaving "track two" free for use as a drill track for the yard switcher. You might want to run this by your AP folks when you get a chance....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty close, and all the requirements I've met are simply things I've done in the course of building the (partly complete) home layout I want. However, I find color coding, labeled terminals and orderly wire layout and cable routing adequate for repair and debugging, so if I'm ever to actually get the certificate, I will need to draw some circuit diagrams...

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I will need to draw some circuit diagrams...

James, I had been fearing the wiring diagrams, but the article in Scale Rails on this Certificate took away my fears.

Bruce

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The drawing isn't the obstacle - although I never took drafting I've seen enough of Linn Wescott's lovely work that I can manage the basics, either on paper or with my ancient copy of 3d Planit. It's finding the time...

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afraid of wiring drawings? Just go look at the old MRR electrical wiring books. It is all there. Just change it to match your layout or a dream layout. All it takes is a little time.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  6:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bumping this thread to ask, should it be made sticky?

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  1:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Bumping this thread to ask, should it be made sticky?

Is that needed? The 'index' thread is a sticky thread already and no one had posted in this thread for 18 months

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be forewarned, Bruce! I am working on the documentation for this certificate. I am probably doing more than I need to, since I am not only documenting it for the certificate but also for myself in case I need to figure out an issue.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  07:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing it, Chuck.

Bruce

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The Terminator Topic Next Topic: crossing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000