Railroad Line Forums - "Mortar Mix"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: Fishwsteel ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 "Mortar Mix"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Group Challenges found on Railroad-Line Topic Next Topic: painting decals
Page: of 3

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  06:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain if this is the right place to post my question....

I've always had very mixed results when attempting to put mortar on plastic brick..it's either too light, too heavy, or too spotty. What technique have you found works best and is the most reliable? If you're using a wash, what's the mixture ratio? I'd appreciate any thoughts the crew might have on this....thanks!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  06:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick
I've used more methods of applying mortar mix to models then I can remember. It seems as if every week a new way of representing mortar on models rises to the surface. when all the dust had settled, I still prefer the old tried and true method of applying very thinly diluted light gray acrylic paint over the PAINTED plastic or any painted brick surface. I use various amounts of washes depending on how much I want the mortar to stand out. Using the 'wash' method not only brings out the mortar lines but the bricks are toned down as well. Different colors and intensities of washes can be used on the same wall to add to a weathered and worn effect.
Peter
BCT

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, on my last build I used kid's white tempa paint, thinned with water.... I was pleased. A gaint bottle was about $2.00 at Hobby Lobby. By the way... I have tried almost all the methods. Danny

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

I agree with Pete. That's the way I do it.

Karl S.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've certainly done it Pete's way. I also like Roberts Brick Mortar if you can find it. Spread it on, let it dry, wipe it off the surface of the bricks on the diagonal. You can leave as much or as little on the surface as you want. It keeps drying after you wipe with a damp cloth so you can see the effect. The nice thing is that you can keep wiping each time after it dries. With a paint wash, once it dries, it dries.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  09:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen...thanks for the comments. Like yourselves, I've tried the wash technique but the results always seem iffy and inconsistent...maybe it's the consistency of the wash I'm using...another thing I've noticed is that you can't "brush" the surface, but merely touch it with the brush and let the wash flow into the mortar lines...is that what you folks typically do????

What percentage of water orsolvent to paint do you use?

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick, I think the key to using an acrylic wash is to apply it over a painted surface, as Peter said. Not sure if you are doing that or not. When applying the wash over plastic that is unpainted, molded in a brick color, it doesn't do as well, even with a drop of dish washing detergent added. I guess the paint gives the mortar wash some tooth to adhere to.

I've also used Roberts' Brick Mortar, like Bruce, and it is good stuff.

Yet another way is to spray paint your walls with a light grey color, which serves as the mortar color. I like Wal Mart's own house brand of primer for this - it is very thin - no "filler" like most primers. Then apply the brick color lightly on top of the bricks, with your mortar already in place. Use make up sponges to apply the brick color.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sprinkle flour over the wall

rub it into the mortar lines with your fingertip

spray with dullcoat

voila!

I keep meaning to try this with actual cement powder, but I havent done another brick structure yet.

Karl.A

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that looks too easy. Are you sure you havenít doctored the photos? Thanks for the tip.

George

adrian_batey
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never would have thought of using flour. Ill have to keep this in mind next time i do a brick structure.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  5:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, Karl!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried cornstarch using Karl's technique, and I think the flower is the better of the two. I have been working to master a technique using baking soda with a little gray paint and white glue, which I'm having mixed results with. Where it works, I really like the effect, but for a solid consistant result over a large area, I think that Peter's or KarlA's techniques (your choice) are the way to go.

--KP
Life is to short to make all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 02/10/2009 08:23:49 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  01:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you gents, hope it helps someone. I did find the close up shot I was looking for when I originally posted so here it is.

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Karl, that looks too easy..............
George

You should know me George, always looking for the quick/easy way out

Karl.A

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  07:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, am I glad I posted this question....flour! Very nice work, Karl and thanks for sharing that with us. I'm definitely going to give that one a go.....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  07:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't done a lot of brick buildings yet, but: I have tried washes and not liked the results. What's worked best for me so far is "Modeler's Mortar" from Scale Works Models in Laconia NH. It's a water-based paste (the jar lid doesn't seal perfectly, so I have to add a bit more water now and then), and I apply it with my finger. The "flour and dull varnish" scheme looks interesting, though.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  07:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Fantastic idea and technique. You're going to blamed for starting the ball rolling on this one. Flower looks real good but using real cement might be closer to the answer but how about light gray thinset! As soon as I get home, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again Karl for the gem of an idea.
Peter
BCT

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Group Challenges found on Railroad-Line Topic Next Topic: painting decals  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-13 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000