Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Prototype Models Certif. "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Prototype Models Certif. "Support" Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: building stock pens Topic Next Topic: Fiebing leather dyes?
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  6:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

To me, this is one of the more intriguing of the AP categories. The idea is to recreate a prototype scene in miniature. That scene must contain six models of prototype structures and equipment. There must be four different types of models included in the scene, including rolling stock, railroad structure, caboose or passenger car, and motive power. Finally, at least two of the models must be scratchbuilt, and the overall scene must achieve the Merit Level when evaluated. For more information on the requirements of the “Master Builder – Prototype Models” Certificate, follow this link: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_proto.html

I believe that we have members of the Forum who have earned this certificate. I ask that they jump in here with a more detailed explanation, and pictures of what they submitted in this category.
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  7:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

We should note that all of the models have to be either scratchbuilt or super-detailed.

I described this process last fall in a "Year of the MMR" article in "Scale Rails," the NMRA monthly magazine. I found the process to be no more difficult than any other certificate, but it IS the certificate that benefits from the most complete documentation possible.

One key point that I missed in my article bears repeating before this thread gets the High Green for the Main Line: The judging requirement for the certificate is similar to judging requirements for other certificates— judging needs to be done by personal, close observation by judges appointed by the NMRA National or Region AP Chair. This may include, but is not limited to, individuals with the certificate, MMRs, trained contest judges, division AP personnel and persons appointed by the AP Chair to perform the function. In my case, the models had been properly judged (by my Region AP Chair and his immediate predecessor, both MMRs — talk about pressure! ) as part of the Scenery certificate; I had not yet completed the Prototype Modeler paperwork. When the paperwork was ready I submitted it to the Region AP chair and the process was completed.

This is one of the most interesting certificates in the program; I had a great time completing it and recommend it highly!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 02/08/2009 7:25:11 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  7:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete,

Did you start with a photograph of a prototype scene? If so, could you scan/post it here?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  8:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I did indeed start with a photograph, and since I don't own the copyright to it I'm leery of trying to place it up on the Forum. There's a copy of it in the SR article....

Pete
in Michigan

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I am about ready to submit the last paperwork for my structures certificate. My question is: Can a model that was used in the past for structurs, but would now qualify for prototype, be used again? Or once it is used for structures, does it not qualify for prototype? Many of my merit awards were earned on models that were build by matching a prototype photo. Danny

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Danny,

This is on the NMRA website for prototype models:
quote:
You may have these models judged separately if you wish, either before or after their inclusion in a Prototype Model scene. You may also use them as some of your qualifying models for other categories, such as Motive Power, Cars, or Structures. None of this will affect, or be affected by, their use in a Prototype Model scene.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  08:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Bruce,

I did indeed start with a photograph, and since I don't own the copyright to it I'm leery of trying to place it up on the Forum. There's a copy of it in the SR article....

Pete, those articles will become 'lost' to future members. They should now be put on the NMRA website IMHO. Maybe you could put a bug in someone's ear. Then we could included links to the articles in these threads.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  5:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Pete, those articles will become 'lost' to future members. They should now be put on the NMRA website IMHO. Maybe you could put a bug in someone's ear. Then we could included links to the articles in these threads.

Bruce, the NMRA is already working on this. Stay tuned.

Pete
in Michigan

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  2:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a checklist somewhere that NMRA judges use? (Or any other guidance that would allow us to self-score our Prototype Model scenes to see if they're ready for primetime yet?)

Thanks,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Start with the NMRA website: http://www.nmra.org

At the top of the page, click on the "Achievement Program" link, then go to "Categories" for information about the specific requirements for each certificate.

Under "Forms," you'll find Judging Guidelines for Structures, Motive Power and Equipment, all of which feature in the "Prototype Modeler" certificate: http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/education/achievement/pdf/2006-judging-guide-lines.pdf

The matrices are the ones the Evaluators will use to look over your entry; they're the same matrices the contest judges use in contests.

There's an article on "Judging the Contest" in the December, 2015 NMRA Magazine that has input from NMRA National Contest Chair Bob Hamm, MMR, and Achievement Program Executive Assistant Manager Frank Koch (the "Go-To" guy for the AP). I think it's worth a read, but then again, I wrote it with their help....

One of the best ways to "get calibrated" on these is to volunteer to be a judge at your Region convention or a National convention. The convention staff will mentor you until you are calibrated with their expectations. And don't forget that there is a whale of a lot of fabulous modeling appearing in these Forums, so look long and hard, and ask questions!

HTH.

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 01/04/2016 5:52:31 PM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  12:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. I was hoping for a "Judging Guidelines for Prototype Modeler", but the Motive Power, Cars and Structures one will still be a good start.

I'd love to volunteer, but my Region is the British Region and I live in Ireland, so opportunities might be few and far between.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  12:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

The elements of Structures, Motive Power and Rolling Stock are all present in the Prototype Modeler certificate. Specific requirements are laid down in the AP Categories section of the NMRA website. In a nutshell, duplicate a photograph (or photographs) that has (have) certain elements and do it well.

As to living in the Emerald Isle, check with the BR president--he's one of the Good Guys and I'll bet he has opportunities galore....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 01/05/2016 12:12:40 PM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  3:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He he... I was never very good at staying within nutshells.

My scene is set in 1928, but the closest known photographs are ca. 1910 and 1941. Never-the-less, I have 34 pages of historical research to back up my interpolation between the 1910 and 1941 data.

And that's just the start of it.

My passenger car is actually a coach/mail car-body converted to a bunkhouse (or station, depending on which historical reference you believe). But it's heavily kit-bashed from a parlour car kit, and I'm quite proud of it.

And my motive power is a speeder. Its aesthetics would be horribly compromised by motorizing it (I work in HOn3). So I'm hoping that the "static display" option of the Prototype Models spec. overrides the "no dummy engines" rule of the Motive Power spec.

And one of my 6 "models" is hand-laid trackwork (including a highly-detailed stub switch and operating rotary switch stand). That seems OK based on the Civil Engineering certificate, which refers to trackwork elements as models?

But another is a scenic vignette (a road crossing, cattle guard, box culvert, and power line). There's more complexity (and research) in there than some of my other structures, but I'm not sure if a judge would be OK with that. I could substitute the loading dock, but that's the element with the most tenuous documentary evidence (so I'd rather do the road crossing, which I know to be correct).

Not much of a nutshell, huh?

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a Major Project, Jeff! Best wishes for a great outcome!

Pete
in Michigan

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  05:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't yet heard back from the NMRA folks.

If Pete or anyone else gets a chance to look over my rough draft and give me any pointers, I'd appreciate it. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'd rather not spend too much time going down any blind alleys, so to speak.

Rats. The forum wouldn't let me upload it (too big?), so I put it up on my website:

http://www.rokeby.ie/railroad/documentation/Silica.pdf

Any feedback is welcome, but what I'd most like are:
1) does my trackwork qualify as a "model"?
2) is the road crossing scene enough to qualify as a "model"?
3) would I be better off making the loading dock one of the models? (The prototype is the correct period and railroad, but from a different location.)

Thanks,
Jeff.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a nice conversation with Stephen Park (who runs the AP for the British region). The gist of the conversation was that he felt the guidelines where there to give each cert shape, not to prevent someone from earning one. So as long as the body of work is of the appropriate scope and quality, and within the spirit of the particular cert, I should be good.

Based on that, and the fact that my scene doesn't break down neatly into models, I've just listed the 9 main elements (5-1/2 of which are scratch-built), and I'll leave it at that.

(I've updated my write-up at the above URL if anyone wants to look at it.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: building stock pens Topic Next Topic: Fiebing leather dyes?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000