Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Motive Power Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 NMRA AP Motive Power Certificate "Support" Thread
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Info & Advice detailing a Mantua 0-4-0 Topic Next Topic: Superdetailing a Bachmann Spectrum loco  

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

This could be one of the tougher categories for some. It requires the modeler to build three pieces of motive power (Steam Locomotive, Diesel Locomotive, Electric Locomotive, Rail Bus, etc. One of them has to be scratchbuilt. The other two could just be ‘super detailed’. All three have to earn a Merit Award. If you follow this link, you can find out more information on the requirements of the “Master Builder – Motive Power” Certificate. http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_motive.html

We do have member of the forum who have experience in this area. One is long-time member Wallace. Here are links showing some of his scratchbuilt HO steam locomotives.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7057

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7068

We also have some great examples shown in the work of our On30 guys.

I hope that members who have scratchbuilt or super detailed locos will add their links to this thread. It would prove very helpful for any members working towards this particular AP certificate!
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  11:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another example from the forum that I think would qualify.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24140&whichpage=1

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  09:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would prove helpful to those wanting to pursue this certificate for us to include as many links to motive power builds as possible. Here is another on the forum.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24776

Bruce

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bruce et al:

I am in the process of starting my NMRA APs and the "Motive Power certificate" is one of the first ones I am attempting.

I currently have a couple of Backwoods Miniatures 'motive power' kits; namely the following:

Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-4-0 Mallet
http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/xokdrg.jpg

0-4-0 Vertical Boilered Steamer
http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/xvbtdrg.jpg

My question is, would these two kits count towards 2 of the 3 required builds?

Quote from NMRA site:
"Build three scale models of railroad motive power, one of which must be scratchbuilt"

I know that I would then need to scratchbuild 1 additional, but best I can tell these two would qualify as the NON-scratchbuilt ones (just want to be sure).

Thanks!!

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  1:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To qualify for the certificate, the scratchbuild loco doesn't have to be something as complicated as a steam engine, or even a large diesel. I've heard of modelers making small industrial "critters" to qualify for the award. They can be made from styrene a whole lot easier than having to work with metal.

Some years ago I started scratchbuilding a Trackmobile, from an article in MR to qualify; I already had two other awards for kitbashed locos. I got the required NWSL Flea to power it, and started on the chassis as per plans. Things didn't fit as they were supposed to, and I discovered the Flea that I had was different than the one in the article. I think it would have required doing a different chassis with attachment points. I set the parts aside and never did get back to it. Doubt that I ever will, now that I have a powered RTR Trackmobile.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  4:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

The safe thing is to pass the question past the AP chairman of your division. However, I have to believe that those two would qualify for the two non-scratchbuilt, but super detailed locos.

Bruce

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

The safe thing is to pass the question past the AP chairman of your division. However, I have to believe that those two would qualify for the two non-scratchbuilt, but super detailed locos.

I agree, thus the reason I sent the email to them yesterday; but alas no answer as of yet...

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

To qualify for the certificate, the scratchbuild loco doesn't have to be something as complicated as a steam engine, or even a large diesel.

Yes, I agree. However I want to ensure I get enough points on the non-scratchbuilt locos (thus the reason I chose the two Backwoods Miniatures locos due to the complexity/difficulty) to help offset anything on the scratchbuilt loco.

So it sounds like you have parts enough to build a different style critter

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy, if there is one category in the AP program that intimidates the heck out of me, it is this one! So, I will follow along to see what others do. Perhaps, the intimidation will dissolve if I see projects that I think I can do. I know there have been some fantastic models on this forum!

Chuck

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Boy, if there is one category in the AP program that intimidates...

Hey Chuck, I guess we have our areas of 'concern/intimidation'... The area I will have to struggle with is the "Service to the Hobby" area. I plan on working on the "Author" AP to satisfy this category.

Luckily I am published so that will count and the postings here will count as well (albeit only 21 points worth). However, I still have a LONG way to go to make up 42 points worth...

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  12:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lougomes

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

I agree, thus the reason I sent the email to them yesterday; but alas no answer as of yet...

They will qualify as long as you get 87 1/2 points for Merit Awards with each.

That can be difficult to do when it is a kit built item....

Be very careful about the one you want to have qualify for being scratchbuilt - be sure to read what parts of it have to be scratchbuilt; failure to address any will force you to go back and re-do whatever, and that's seriously irritating,

BTW, I have completed this category, too. I built 3 trolleys (There's an option!!!). One was a La Belle kit that I added an interior and a lot of other stuff; the other 2 were scratchbuilt MoW trolleys - I think there's pix of all 3 on this forum somewhere.....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  1:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last week I entered my 'detail/paint/decal/weather' job on an RTR HO P2K BL-2 in the NER contest, 'Kit-Built Diesel & Other':

It earned a Merit Award (barely). I received positive comments on the finish and the workmanship, but also a note that I hadn't modeled the steam heat connection. In my descriptive attachment (quoted below), I forgot to mention backdating the twin sealed-beam headlight:

1. Construction: Detailing, painting, weathering of a Proto 2000 BL-2 to match a B&M prototype circa 1950 - 1957: I worked from published photos of B&M units in different years to identify changes. End handrails were bent and soldered from brass wire. Plastic body parts were cut, filed and filled with styrene, solvent cement and putty.

2. Detail: The stock P2K model is detailed as a late-era Western Maryland unit. For a B&M unit, I removed air cooling coils, many grab irons and MU equipment on the pilots. The truck sideframes are Athearn parts whose journal boxes I backdated using Detail Associates castings. I reshaped the pilots to match B&M. I used the original base portions of the end handrail castings with brass three-stanchion handrails I built. A Custom Finishing brass steam generator casting was notched into the top of the center cab window post.

3. Conformity: The three-stanchion handrails were installed by the B&M about 1950. B&M units had steam generators but no MU. B&M units never
received the extra grab irons and air cooler the WM installed late in the life of their units. B&M engines working in passenger and mixed service out of Boston Engine Terminal received fairly frequent washings in the early 1950s.

4. #1550 was airbrushed with Floquil Weathered Black, Grimy Black and Accu-Paint B&M Maroon. Lettering and striping are Accu-Cal decals.
Weathering was applied with an airbrush to represent an in-service unit receiving fairly frequent washings.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  10:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Last week I entered my 'detail/paint/decal/weather' job on an RTR HO P2K BL-2 in the NER contest, 'Kit-Built Diesel & Other':

Congratulations on the Merit Award for Motive Power. Step 1 completed, now Step 2 is a scratch built unit.
Regards, Vic B.

Previous Topic: Info & Advice detailing a Mantua 0-4-0 Topic Next Topic: Superdetailing a Bachmann Spectrum loco  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000