Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Scenery Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 NMRA AP Scenery Certificate "Support" Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ground goop question Topic Next Topic: Distance between yard tracks?
Page: of 8

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  4:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

The intent of this category is for the modeler to demonstrate the ability to create realistic scenery from the ground up. The amount of scenery to be completed depends on the scale in which you model: O Scale – 60 sq. ft.; S Scale – 45 sq. ft.; HO Scale – 32 sq. ft; N Scale 18 sq. ft. Other scales are in proportional relationship to HO scale. The total square footage will be evaluated using NMRA guidelines, and must, as a whole, earn 87.5 pts (merit award level). The evaluators will look at five specific areas when they evaluate your scenery: Terrain, Structures, Background, Lighting, and Realism/Conformity. In general, they look how you used those five areas to achieve a realistic model railroad scene.

More information on the Scenery Achievement category can be found at this link: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_scenery.html

In my case, I used the main yard and engine servicing area of my HO layout when working toward this certificate. If I had more of the layout completed, I would have probably chosen an area with more interesting terrain. I had actually documented most of my work on the main yard area in this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16051&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Jersey,Highland

If you are interested in working towards the Scenery Achievement Award, and have any questions on the requirements or the documentation, I would be happy to try to answer them.
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Edited by - Dutchman on 02/01/2009 4:15:39 PM

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce once again thanks for starting this thread. I am working certificate as well as the Electrical and Civil. But in my opinion scenery is the funnest part of all of them.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by northern6400

Bruce once again thanks for starting this thread. I am working certificate as well as the Electrical and Civil. But in my opinion scenery is the funnest part of all of them.

Chuck, I mentioned that my entire 'square footage' was contained within my main yard area. Could you describe or show some pictures (or links if they are already here on the fourm) of the scenery you are working on?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce I have never submitted a photo to the forum. I guess I'll have to get off my butt and read the directions on how to do it and try to submit some.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

Joe-SVL
New Hire

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if anybody has any experience wrt how the AP Scenery judges view near vertical backdrop hills. There is an article by Sam Swanson in the March 2009 issue of Model Railroader in which he talks about making backdrop hills. His backdrop hill is 3-inches wide and extends 14 to 24-inches upward. Those dimensions make for some very steep slopes which in nature could not really exist. So do the AP scenery judges rate execution versus reality or something else.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that depends on the judge and their personal position.
I have judged several AP Scenery certificates and this one comes under:
---------------snip snip snip-----------------
Background (25 pts)
Treatment of the wall, backdrop, and/or ceiling to realistically depict depth, distance, horizon, and sky.

This doesn't mean that you have to have a photographic or landscape artist quality background. Your background should continue the 'illusion of reality ' that you are trying to create with your scenery. The background should match the scenery, and the transition where the two of them meet is smooth and/or hidden. One good question to ask yourself is: Is there enough good background to allow a photo to be taken without showing other parts of the room? If a wall is the backdrop, make sure that the texture is appropriate, as well as the color (a concrete block wall painted sky-blue, still looks like a concrete block wall!)
---------------snip snip snip-----------------
This one is judged for up to 25 points and in my opinion and the other judges that were with me, you kind of get an overall impression. Obviously background relief cannot be prototypical, but if it looks good in the overall scheme of things, a 3-D background relief sculpture will certainly add to the points. Most of the things I have judged were pretty much background painting of trees and sky and some "wallpaper" type pre-printed backgrounds. Pretty much as long as you have SOMETHING there and it looks decent, you will do OK. Keep in mind all you need is 87 1/2 points total and this piece maxes out at 25 points. For additional details check out:
http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_scenery.html
Regards, Vic Bitleris

quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

I am wondering if anybody has any experience wrt how the AP Scenery judges view near vertical backdrop hills. There is an article by Sam Swanson in the March 2009 issue of Model Railroader in which he talks about making backdrop hills. His backdrop hill is 3-inches wide and extends 14 to 24-inches upward. Those dimensions make for some very steep slopes which in nature could not really exist. So do the AP scenery judges rate execution versus reality or something else.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  9:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Had three judges over this evening to judge my layout.
All went well,I passed! Got 106 out of 120!

I had the layout "prejudged" last year and made detailed notes of all the comments. This is like photographs -- they point out things you don't see.
Paper work was all filled out and I also sent along a CD of pics of all the pertinent areas.
The documentation now will go to our region's AP chair and then, if all goes well, to national.

Two more to go - Structures and Cars.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, John!! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, John.

Bruce

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good going John keep at it,,,

Cheers!, Joe

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  2:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations John.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  3:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations John.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  6:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great, John!

Chuck

Joe-SVL
New Hire

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
GREAT Score !!! I'm probably 7-10 months behind you in my Scenery Certificate work. Got a couple of questions for you.

1. Were the NMRA members who did your "prejudging (which I think is a great idea) the same ones who did your final /formal judging?

2. Would you share with us some of the "Comments" you wrote down following the prejudging activity? I'd be curious to read what they pointed out to you.

3. You mentioned sending in a CD. Did you have the CD prepared for the prejudging activity? Were the photos on the CD of real-world scenery places which you replicated on your layout,or were they photos of your layout as you did your scenery construction? Or Both. Any guidance on number etc would be appreciated.

4. What books(s) did you use to guide you in your backdrop preparation?

5. If I sent you my e-mail address via your web site would you be willing to share your Scenery certificate documentation with me?

6. Did you have your total documentation package available at the prejudging time?

thanks

Joe in Orlando

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe:
Send me an email and I will see what I can do. I will post answers to your questions shortly.

email is johnkana@fc.amdsb.ca

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  10:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe & others:
In response to your query re Scenery Judging:

1. Prejudging was done by NFR AP Chairman and WOD Superintendant who were actually here to judge Civil and Electrical. As we had a little time, I asked them to prejudge the section of the layout. I knew I was not too close but needed the input. (I did get 84 from one judge!)

When the judges came this time, it was the WOD Superintendant, the Assistant Superintendant and our Program Director (who both now had judging experience at the NFR regional convention “The Woodstock Turn”). I also judged there but of course you can’t judge your own stuff!
This way we are getting more approved judges in our area of southwestern Ontario.

2. Comments include lack of or improving needed in the following areas:
- roadway improvement
- manhole covers, cracks, patches, sewers
- roadway improvements - road markings
- cross bucks at all crossings
- buildings planted more
- power poles
- switch stands
- hotel name missing “Brock Hotel”
- hydrants
- outside building lighting

EXTRAS I added on my own:
- electrical track relay cabinets
- early diesel fueling
-transformers on poles
- create coal dump pit
- bars in ash pit

3. No the CD was not ready as the prejudging was more of an afterthought. No real world scenery pics although the judges did have a passing knowledge of the “Junction area” of west Toronto (in the 1954 steam to diesel transition era) where I grew up and that I was representing. I do have a huge picture file of this time period. I absolutely loved the research!
The pictures on the CD especially focussed on the improvements I had made (mostly those listed above) as well as about twenty overall shots of the area. I did include a few panoramas of the whole layout as well!

4. The painted backdrop was based on an article in RMC (I think) from about 1995. I possibly could dig up the specific article. It was painted with few details as I wanted visitors to focus on the layout. I have done several clinics over the years on backdrops using 3D effects and photo prints glued to 1/4" masonite, cut out along building lines and then edges painted black. I then added computer made signs over these to enhance the overall effect with prototypical signs for my area in the late 1950's. I have a 1955 Toronto phone book that was of great help augmenting my memory and helping with graphics. As well, I used period Canadian magazines that I scanned, imported into CorelDraw and then extensively reworked to create billboards etc.

5. I will share somewhat to get you on the right track. (Pun intended!)

6. Prejudging, no! I kept a file with pictures on my computer for each improvement so about 95% of the work was done ahead of time and ready for the actual judging. We have heard it before but IT DOES PAY TO DOCUMENT AS YOU GO ALONG!!!!

I did have the written documentation ready for Section 2: Written Description - Setting & Scenic Details and also for Section 3: Written Description - Materials & Methods of Construction for Terrain, Background & Lighting

The judges took some photos as well and we downloaded those as well. I put them all onto a CD and delivered it to the NFR WOD Superintendant.

BTW, keep copies of EVERYTHING!!!

*** We have a mentorship group going on here in southwestern Ontario (ID and WOD) who have been a lot of help. Chuck Faist (who is here on the RR Line forum) is our “fearless” leader! The WOD executive have all been especially supportive and are continually planning clinics for beginners. We continually mention the AP Program!

Finally, I have been modelling for over 45 years and this layout [CNJWS II - Canadian National Junction West Sub II] is my second large layout.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Ground goop question Topic Next Topic: Distance between yard tracks?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000