Railroad Line Forums - NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MONDAY MORNING LOUNGE Topic Next Topic: Cute pest
Page: of 4

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kriss, when I first looked into Author, the local AP people liked my Unofficial B&M Pages site a lot, but would only give me 21 points (half the required) for web-based content. The rest had to come from print articles and clinic write-ups.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  10:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, James... I've heard that is how they score something like this site. I'm ahead of the game so far by the page count, (the 'word per page count' is incorrect on the NMRA AP site) that even allowing for the discounted number of pages, I still have way more than enough to qualify. I'm actually about 2x or greater over the number of pages I need to have published, and I still have articles being published by the NMRA region I'm in. (Because I'm not sure of the editing which will be done, I don't know exactly how many points I can claim.) But your info is good counsel to be passed on to anyone else who may be considering using pages from this site or other modeling blog sites.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 05/13/2013 12:15:23 AM

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  11:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
What do you mean by the "word per page count is incorrect". Is it posted wrong or do you feel like 1200 words per page is wrong? I am curious and have wondered about this number, but I always figured the "powers that be" should know.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Yes, James... (the 'word per page count' is incorrect on the NMRA AP site) ...

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic,
I could be incorrect, but I think the NMRA AP Author guideline was supposed to say "letters/characters" instead of "words". It currently reads: "A "page" is approximately 1200 words."

The following is an example of articles which I submit. The following numbers are from the article which I just submitted to my NMRA region for inclusion in the next regional newsletter:
-- The article is 27 pages in length containing 8,041 words. That is about 298 words/page. Don't forget, pictures/drawings affect the word/page count.
-- The article has 43,804 characters (with spaces included in count). That's about 1622 characters/page.
-- The article has 35,779 characters (spaces not included in count). That's about 1325 characters/page.

I've done this mental exercise a couple of times on the articles which I'm trying to use for my AP, and the numbers keep coming up within the same ranges. You can see from this example that the guideline of "A "page" is approximately 1200 words" probably does not fit, but "letters/characters" does fit within the statement.

In the past I also did a bit or research on the net. I mostly came up with answers to word count/page like the following:
"These figures represent continuous words with no blank lines or breaks. In practice you need to subtract 15-20% from the page word total once the white space is taken into account. This gives you 200 (large print), 500 for an academic book with 350 words per paperback page as a working average." This is from:
http://www.writersservices.com/wps/p_word_count.htm

My bit of research on the web for word count per page in magazines turned up about 600 words per page in general.

I **must note** that idea of an incorrect statement on the NMRA website is an assumption on my part, so I could be starting a false fire storm here. I have considered the idea of "pictures" which are included in my articles have an effect on the word count, but even when I have reformatted to a text only situation, I still do not come up with the word count/page of the guideline.

I do have a club meeting tomorrow night where I can try to obtain a better handle on this subject. The club has 3 MMR's, but I'm not sure who is going to be attending. I suspect that there will be at least one MMR who got his sticker in the author category, so I'll ask.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 05/13/2013 1:07:38 PM

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  10:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this respponse Kris, I totally agree with you and I always felt this number was incorrect as well. I am not sure who came up with it and how. I also suspect that the powers that be, the Regional AP Chair as well as the National, really only count pages rather than "words", else most of the Author AP's, would not have passed. I will bring this up to our Regional AP Chair this fall at our Convention. Maybe this part needs to be re-visited and fixed.
Thanks and regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Vic,
I could be incorrect, but I think the NMRA AP Author guideline was supposed to say "letters/characters" instead of "words". It currently reads: "A "page" is approximately 1200 words."

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain.
1200 words for a full page doesn't seem unusual though - I doubt it's 1200 characters. Remember, that's solid text - no banners, photos, etc....
I have my Author's certificate. I found it one of the most convoluted in terms of the requirements. I started by submitting a bunch of different items. I found I got XX points for the article, but if someone else did the artwork some were subtracted - a percentage of the "full page." Likewise, if there was a prototype image the percentage of space it took up was also deducted (unless I'd taken it, and it directly related to modeling.) "History" articles, and articles on prototype equipment didn't count, although "Railroad you can model" type pieces did. It was driving me batty.
In the end I simply sent in the last four chapters of my most recent book, since I knew I took the photos, etc...
When I got it approved I got a note saying that I didn't get credit for all 24 pages since there was one prototype picture I'd forgotten - so I ended up getting 23.80 pages worth....

Good luck!

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  5:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It hasn't been confirmed yet, but I hope my 3rd certificate, EE, will be awarded soon. Some things I've found out about Structures (some of which generalize to Cars & Motive Power) puts MMR farther away: work which serves my own primary purpose (the layout) is less likely to earn Merit Awards than I'd thought.

This has led me to re-think a bit: Scenery progresses, so it will eventually be just the SoQ - a fair amount of content already exists. Civil is down to two superdetailed track features (likely to strike my fancy once operations are running smoothly) and the SoQ. Except for the string chart and the SoQ, everything for Chief Dispatcher will come from further op sessions. So I'll make the extra effort and get them. I'll re-examine the others later, and meanwhile test the waters with contest entries for cars, locomotives and structures I'm fairly sure of over the next few years.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  6:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, your conclusions parallel mine. Certain certificates follow naturally from building a layout (Electrical, Civil (with the extra effort to scratch build the required track work), and scenery. Cars, structures and Motive Power do not necessarily parallel the layout construction, although I made the structures certificate parallel my work. All in all, I think that your idea of working on cars and structures as contest entries makes sense.

I am finishing my sixth (electrical) and just have to knock one more off - most likely the Civil Engineering. My layout construction meets most of the requirements except for the three scratch built track items.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Group on Facebook! NMRA Achievement Program
https://www.facebook.com/groups/897515100296978/897902750258213/?comment_id=897924236922731&ref=notif¬if_t=like

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railmus

New Group on Facebook! NMRA Achievement Program
https://www.facebook.com/groups/897515100296978/897902750258213/?comment_id=897924236922731&ref=notifČif_t=like

OH NO! Another group to follow.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As with other FB groups, decent for real-time communication and much easier to post pictures to, but largely useless as an archive of information with long-term value.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: MONDAY MORNING LOUNGE Topic Next Topic: Cute pest  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000