Railroad Line Forums - NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Model Power gone... Topic Next Topic: TUESDAY MORNING LOUNGE
Page: of 4

Wolfgang
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  1:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thread is a great idea.
I can only suggest to participate in the AP program. I've learned a lot on the way to MMR.
And it's not only the thing you earn a Merit Award with. It's also a lot to learn with those you earn not an Award. You see your mistakes and see what you can do better. It's a learning curve.

Learn from your mistakes.

Wolfgang

come to us
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  1:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been a member of the NMRA on and off since the 60's. As a current member of two clubs associated to the NMRA, I'm becoming a bit more interested in becoming an MMR. I currently have a couple members of one club who are, well let's say using all of the known tricks to man, to encourage me to apply for the Golden Spike. As I don't have any rolling stock, I going to build a few of the kits on my shelf and do a couple of scratch builds. For me, the trick to earning the MMR, will be to figure out how to work in the requirements into modules and modular clubs. Should be an interesting ride.

I do hope to be able to use my documentation from builds here on the forum to assist in the completion of the required paperwork for structures and scenery, and maybe, cars when I get to them.

Overall, I'm looking forward to and fully expect that the input from folks here on the forum and reviews from the judging on my projects will assist me in becoming a better modeler. I know for sure that the friendships developed here on the forum has already made my modeling time much more enjoyable.

Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 03/29/2011 3:07:18 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  5:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris,

Welcome to the AP pool! As you head toward that Golden Spike, take some time to read the AP requirements for all eleven certificates, and be sure to read the commentary that goes with them. You'll note that there are a lot of overlaps in requirements, so with careful planning, you can use the AP to improve your modeling, get a better layout, learn some new techniques and get more fun out of your hobby. Don't read anything into the requirements that is not there! Look for the info here: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/

You might also invest a couple of minutes in reading Forum member Gerry Leone's (Gerry) commentary on "What I Learned by Becoming an MMR." It's a good read, but has great advice as well. The article is near the bottom of the AP intro page.

If you have questions, be sure to ask, and above all, enjoy the ride! There are threads for the requirements running here for help and encouragement, but the NMRA AP staff is the final arbiter of questions. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  3:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris,

Knowing that you will be following along, I will included more descriptive steps on my rolling stock builds and my reasoning for doing things the way I decide to do them. They will be in my Jersey Highlands HOn3 Narrow Gauge Logging Railroad thread in the "Logging and Narrow Minded" Forum.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  6:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also working towards my MMR and found a frends article in the division news letter that might help . Go too www.div4.org and look and good luck Tom

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  6:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Which issue of the newsletter is that article in?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  8:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce. I appreciate the additional time you may introduce into the documentation for us 'newbies' in car building, and I for sure consider myself a newbie when it comes to modeling rolling stock.

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  10:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce I just googled www.div4.org went to HOME PAGE, scroll down just below Auctions forms in red. Just underneath that is article by Bruce Brintnall click it and you should have it Tom

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  10:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it, Tom. That is some good advice on the paperwork.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  11:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ELK RIVER RR

Hi Bruce I just googled www.div4.org went to HOME PAGE, scroll down just below Auctions forms in red. Just underneath that is article by Bruce Brintnall click it and you should have it Tom

This article has some good stuff in it. The "Dreaded Paperwork" is really no harder than a paper you wrote in high school, and in many ways it's easier. The evaluators are working against a matrix to come up with a score. The official wording goes something like "What did the modeler attempt to do and how well did he/she do it?" The two sides of the matrix are really nothing more than "How complex?" (think "Really Simple" to "Oh, Wow!") and "How well executed?" (think "Yuck" to "Oh, Wow!!!").

The idea is to get a complex model done really well, but remember that you need only 87.5 points out of the 125 possible to earn a Merit Award. The requirements are listed on the NMRA website AP section (http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/). Don't forget to read the other information out there, such as FAQs and Definitions! They're a gold mine of good information!

And as far as the computer is concerned, if your handwriting is like mine, which resembles an electrocardiogram, be sure to use the computer -- the judges will thank you!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 04/01/2011 11:05:16 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  12:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, there are so many wonderful builds on this forum with a lot of S-B-S instructions, I'd think that a lot of the paper work would be almost cut and paste for a lot of folks around here to obtain various Merit Awards.

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a little over a year I thought I would ask the question has anyone done any certificates or still trying, I turned in some paperwork to my AP person in my Div. just to see if it's enough information before I do twelve sets for structures I hate paperwork but once you get into it you can do it. I'll let you know how it turns out. Tom

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I'm the AP Chair for the Garden State Division (NER). Chuck (WVRR) just earned the Electrical Certificate. I'm heading over to another GSD member's house this afternoon to see if he is ready for the Golden Spike. I'm a half a passenger car away from the Cars Certificate. That would be my fifth.

We are starting to see a few members of the GSD getting interested in the AP Program.

Bruce

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got Volunteer a few years ago, and finally did the paperwork for Author last winter; since the certificate has been in the hands of the Hub AP chair, we haven't been in the same place at the same time. My next two will probably be Electrical and Civil. I may enter a structure or two at the Laconia NER convention this October to see how I stand in that area.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  8:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple of things on my end:
1) I have obtained merit awards on a couple of structures which I documented the build here on the forum:
-- Rusty Stumps's- Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
-- Chambers Mine - from the Silverado Mine thread in HO scale.
I'll be having another kit build, the Quincy Salvage judged at the Rocky Mountain Regional meeting next month. I may also try to have the trestle on that diorama judged, but not sure of that decision at this time. I've been told by a couple of MMR's that the Quincy structure should get at least 100-110 points, so I think I have three of the six structures in the bag. I can easily show 6 other structures built, so it is really just a matter of a couple more structures to get judged and the bridge to complete that category.

2) I have been writing articles for the NMRA regional newsletter for the region I'm in. I already have more than enough material to complete the "Author" category using the published articles and the documented construction builds I have done on this forum. So the "Author" is a matter of paperwork for me at this time.

3) "Volunteer" category is also almost complete. I have been doing hands-on clinics for a few years now, at division and regional levels. This is another category where I just need to do the paper work. I'll be doing a couple of days worth of hands-on clinics at the Rocky Mountain Regional meet next month, and those clinics should put me over the top. I've also got a clinic at the division level next week to present. So... again.... paperwork!!

Bottom Line... Almost completed 3 categories towards the MMR sticker at this point, with paperwork being the big hang-up.

Next to be attacked:
Category: CARS
Somewhere along the line I need to start building RR cars. I appreciate the assistance towards that end by some of the guys here. I just need to sit down with the threads and get my hands dirty at the work bench. Just so you know that I have not been sitting on my hands on this subject, for anyone reading this and looking to build some freight cars, I really strongly recommend looking at the documentation presented by one of the NMRA divisions. These guys have put together some really outstanding step-by-step tutorials for building freight cars. Using info presented by this group in their PDF's (more than the one below) and the info on this forum, I should not have a difficult time completing the 'CAR' category.

http://www.pcrnmra.org/sierra/October-2011-digital.pdf

Edited by - hon3_rr on 05/11/2013 8:44:40 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Model Power gone... Topic Next Topic: TUESDAY MORNING LOUNGE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000