Railroad Line Forums - NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 139 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: prrfan59 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 NMRA Achievement Program "Support" Threads
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Model Power gone... Topic Next Topic: TUESDAY MORNING LOUNGE
Page: of 4

koondog
New Hire

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all: This is a great idea and one I support so if any of you need some information or a question or two I would be happy to help. As John K said here we have a group in Southern Ontario that has formed and I am sure we can spread some of that information to the forum for all.

Clark Kooning, MMR #225 CRC #5

Gerry
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the record, your "What I Learned" essay on the NMRA website should be required reading for every NMRA member. It's elegant.

Pete
in Michigan

Thanks, Pete!

And it's all true except the thing about the narrow-beam T-square, which Micro-Mark came out with several months after that essay was initially published.

If anyone's interested, I have a section on my website entitled "The Road to MMR" that discusses what I did for each of my 7 certificates.

You can find it at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mmr346/mmr-intro.htm

Gerry (MMR #346)

Edited by - Gerry on 02/02/2009 1:06:47 PM

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gerry,
Will be visiting your site. Have really enjoyed your articles in MR!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Thanks Gerry,
Will be visiting your site. Have really enjoyed your articles in MR!

Me too!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  6:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go back to the third post on Page 1 of this thread, you will see that I added two new links. The are for Master Builder - Motive Power, and Master Builder - Prototype Models.

I still have more to add -- soon.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now added the Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering threads to the list on Page 1 of this thread.

Just a few more to add.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  6:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those of you contemplating the journey through the NMRA Achievement program may by now be thoroughly overwhelmed or confused by the enormity of the task. Don't be.

As is true with so many things in life, an overview of the situation can help you set goals. This is strategy. Actually working through the processes to achieve those goals is tactics. Plan the Work, Work the Plan.

Let's look at the strategy part for a minute. If you're going to build and operate a model railroad, you need an idea in mind. You then set out to build the layout, lay the track, wire the thing up, create the scenery and then operate it. None of us is likely to be intimidated by this— we do it all the time. So let's look at the AP once again.

To earn your MMR you're going to need seven certificates of the eleven possible. These have to include at least one certificate from each of the four general areas: Equipment, Settings, Engineering and Operation, and Service to the Hobby. There are a lot of ways to approach this process; none is the Absolute Best. Here's one approach:

So let's get started. You'll need an idea and some kind of a plan to begin with. While you're thinking it out, have a look at the Civil Engineering requirements, and consider integrating them into your layout plan. And while you're at it, consider how the thing is going to be wired up— have a look at the Electrical Engineering section. The two cover many of the same kinds of tasks. With these two areas underway, you already have a good start on two certificates.

Next up is Scenery. Figure out how you are going to make the railroad look like it belongs in the "real world." In the process, have a look at the Scenery requirements, and maybe a good look at the Structures certificate as well. Four down, three to go.

No model railroad is going to be a success without some rolling thingies on the rails. Here's where the Motive Power and Cars certificates kick in. Six down, one to go.

Now. This is where things get interesting. You've built it, wired it up, set it in place and have the stuff to run it. Chief Dispatcher comes to mind immediately. Because you were aware of things, you kept track of your Operating Sessions, so you may find that you've also qualified for Chief Dispatcher! And maybe you built a diorama for the museum and have suddenly realized that with some judging, it will qualify for the Prototype Modeler certificate. But hold on— you still need a Service certificate as part of the seven required for MMR. If you've been active in your Division or Region, you may have enough points for the Association Official or Volunteer certificates, in which case you're golden. Or maybe you should fire up the word processor and work on your Author certificate. With a "Service" certificate in place, you've earned your MMR. That wasn't all THAT hard, now, was it?

Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  7:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete mentioned the four different areas. Here is a breakdown of which certificates fall into which area.

Railroad Equipment:
- Motive Power
- Cars

Railroad Setting:
- Structures
- Scenery
- Prototype Models

Railroad Construction & Operation:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chief Dispatcher

Service to the Hobby:
- Association Official
- Association Volunteer
- Model Railroad Author

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My path so far is as follows.

I have earned both the Scenery and Structures Certificates. You can see that they are both in the 'Railroad Setting' category. The next one that I am likely to earn is the Author Certificate. There is the one I need from the 'Service' category. Three down (almost).

From the Equipment category I plan on working towards the Car certificate. I would also hope to get both the Civil and Electrical Engineering Certificates. That would be six, somewhere down the line.

For the seventh, I don't know. Perhaps the Prototype Modeler Certificate. That is a long way off.

Along the way, I also picked up the Golden Spike, even though it is not required for the path to MMR.

Bruce

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  10:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My path:

I have been an NMRA member for a long time so it was fairly easy to get the Volunteer Certificate as I had my layout open at various conventions, tours etc. and did lots of volunteer work.

Next was Electrical cause I tried to keep track of things along the way.

As mentioned Electrical and Civil seem to go hand in hand so I have Civil pending.

I had our Division AP Chairman (Peter Nesbitt) and WOD Superintendent (John Moseley) come over to “prejudge Civil and Scenery” so I got lots of tips on what I need to achieve these so as I said Civil is now pending. A real advantage was that it focussed me on the work/fun I had to do next.

Scenery may be next but I am tending towards Chief Dispatcher. As a packrat, I kept most of the material from our operating sessions at my home as well as for the modular club I was in for ten years. The timetable and train graphs are the hangup now but I am working through these as well with some help from our southern Ontario AP mentorship group.

Then I probably will complete Scenery as I figure it is about 90% done.

Structures will probably come next but I have to go back and document some of the structures I have done. Trying to find some of the plans will be fun!!

The real challenge will be Railroad Equipment - Cars as I have done some scratchbuilding etc. but will need to get working on brake rigging and cut levers etc.!!

BTW, the Golden Spike came in 1994.

John Kanakos
CNJWS II, Custom Models- Design & Build
http://www.junctionwestsub.ca
NMRA #055691 CARM # 212

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  8:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dutchman et al:

Amazing how things tend to happen... I just today shot off an email to our local division (Piedmont Division in Atlanta, GA) asking about starting on my APs and low-and-behold I see this thread not but a few hours later!!

Anyhow, I am the type that likes to have goals/deadlines. I currently have projects that I have been procrastinating on and the APs provide the goal/deadline.

Needless to say, I have subscribed to this topic and will be watching it closely!

Thanks and good luck to all!!

Loco Louie
Lading Ore and Timber Railways

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

As you begin working on a particular certificate, you might also want to subscribe to the individual 'Support Thread' for that certificate, too.

I'm glad you will be following along. Most importantly, have fun along the way!

Bruce

mwbpequod
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that the NMRA in the recent Scale Rails has recognized this activity here.

Congrats!

Sing me a song, you're a singer.
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil.

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the same Rails recognized John's Civil Engineering.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locolouie

Anyhow, I am the type that likes to have goals/deadlines. I currently have projects that I have been procrastinating on and the APs provide the goal/deadline.

Louie,

I just reviewed this thread and found your post.

Deadlines: NMRA National, July 14-20, 2013. Two years and change. Wouldn't it be great to receive your MMR on your Home Turf in front of your Division buddies?

Git 'R' Done!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Model Power gone... Topic Next Topic: TUESDAY MORNING LOUNGE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000