Railroad Line Forums - Paper/Card Scratchbuilding Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigs704 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Paper/Card Scratchbuilding Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Photo-Etched Fire Escape Kits Topic Next Topic: Paper/Card Scratchbldg Challenge - Final Pictures
Page: of 16

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  03:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh someone else with good looking plans.... I feel so inadequate with just a scale rule and a pencil.. .

Interesting looking structure Christopher, reminds me of the IHC(?) kit, possibly the Devons Dill Pickle place Bruce scratchbuilt a year or so ago. I'll be looking forward to seeing your build.

I added all the clapboard to the subwalls, next on the list is doors and windows, the rules say we can use tichy/grandt so hopefully I'll be OK scratching them from wood, besides, wood is just raw paper technically speaking

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/03/2009 03:44:49 AM

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  06:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress guys.

Karl, the walls are looking great, Pressman is a great structure, simple yet interesting. I would never thought of using corrugated cardboard but this kind of board is made this way to be structurally stronger so that's a good pick.

George, that's a lot of work you have already done with that plans, will love to see that one take shape. I thought about printing the bricks on heavy paper, scribing the lines with a dull blade and fill the joints with mortar. Will have to try it.

Christopher, excellent choice of structure. The corrugated sheating is a challenge, I wonder if there's a way to do HO corrugated paper?

To all: Castings for windows doors and other detail parts are allowed! Off course if they can made out of paper, then by all means, go for it!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  08:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your walls are looking great. I attempted to add clapboard to my walls. I cut 6” wide “boards” and used Aleene’s thick tacky glue to fasten them. The thick glue doesn’t soak into the paper, but it dries fast, so I could only apply a little at a time and didn’t like the way it was going. What are you using for glue?

George

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher, that warehouse really brings back memories.... it was my first scratch-building project. Danny

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The warehouse was IHC's freightstation, based on those drawings from RMC. mike h.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  4:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, for the clapboard I am using yellow Elmers glue, you still need to be fairly quick and only do 5 rows at a time, but that just keeps me moving faster trying to get them down before the glue dries.

Pat (Belg) asked me some time ago how I do the shopfront windows and for a step-by-step the next time I did one, so here it is.

First I cut out a piece of styrene (I use those “FOR SALE” 99c signs) to the size of the window I need and then draw on the window design, I black out the parts which need to be removed and then when happy I cut them out.

Next I work across the design and add in all the horizontal detail. The black pieces are approx 1x6, the main horizontals are HO 6x6 and the window trim is HO 4x4.

Next I will add in the verticals and also the window top for column placement/sizing.

The next stage is to make the components for the columns, I make the cap and base detail in one piece to ensure it is identical on each column.

Using a stop block I glue the cap across the three columns.

Once the cap is dry I add the base detail.

The next detail I add is the styrene strip, I place the columns next to the window and align the strip with the main horizontal detail.

Once fully dry the columns can be separated the edges trimmed and sanded smooth.

After a test fit the columns can be glued in place, If the columns are to have ‘fluting’ detail now is the time, as my columns are made from balsa I add the fluting with a straight edge and a toothpick.

Primed and ready for action……..

Karl.A

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  4:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl A, true art! I'm always inspired by your creativity!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  6:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Troels, I appreciate it, I hope it gives you some ideas.

Karl.A

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Maybe Aleen’s dries faster than Elmer’s. I could never get more than two rows and even then it would be pushing it. I have plenty of scrap paper to see how Elmer’s works.

Thanks for the little tutorial. You make it look easy.

George

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  6:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome George, and it is.

By the way, when I do BbB clapboard I use 9" wide boards with approx a 6" reveal, maybe this would help you out some if it fits your theme. It would be 30% less boards to glue on too.

Karl.A

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  6:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was using 6’ with a 4” reveal. I’ll try the larger “boards”.

George

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Although I typically try to find some new challenge for myself in each build I do..........

Karl.A

As there wasnt much of a challenge in the build itself as I have scratched it before I decided to see if I could complete it with only 24hrs between the first and last post, unfortunately, close but no cigar, the 24hrs has just past. Although the structure is basically complete I still have the two front doors to put on, although they are made, the interior window display to make, signage and final weathering, not much left but more than I'll proably want to do tonight.

Karl.A

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Karl that was a quick build and it looks great. Thanks for all of the photos and ideas on the store front.
I am still scratching my head trying to determine the length and width of my simple building. Maybe I will actually look for some cardboard tomorrow.
Larry

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  12:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a spectacular effort, Karl! I really like the window treatment as well.

As or me, I'm in no rush, really. I have been working on making some plans.

Seems I chose a popular subject. Perhaps I could get Bruce and Danny and anyone else who built this warehouse, either from scratch or kit, to post some pix here. I would be interested to see them. Perhaps a link to some?

Back to the drawing board now.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Edited by - TrainClown on 02/04/2009 12:04:55 AM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  06:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thank you so much for showing the work on the store front. When you get things going you don't stop too often, are you doing this in HO or O scale? I final question when you add the fluting in the pilaster do you just eyeball the spacing? Pat

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Photo-Etched Fire Escape Kits Topic Next Topic: Paper/Card Scratchbldg Challenge - Final Pictures  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000